Sign in to follow this  

Wider Paddle Sand Tire?

Hey guys,

I've moved to Oregon and am really close to the Oregon sand dunes. My XR4 does great out there but is a bit heavy. Currently I run a 110/100 18" rear paddle tire which does fine, but in sand, and a heavy bike, sometimes I wish I had a little more stability.

I was thinking about trying to find a rear paddle that was a bit wider... maybe in the 140/80 or 130/90 range. Has anyone ever tried this or even knows where to find such a tire? Cant seem to find a paddle in that size, only dirt tires.

Thanks in advance

http://www.bykas.com/category-s/36.htm

These are pretty pricey, but when I looked for mine I couldn't find much for an 18" that was wider. I'd give them a call and see what they have to offer.

Thanks, I shot them an email. That is what I am looking for, but it looks like they're a bit pricey for just a rear paddle. $450 ish?

Yeah it's because they use a whole new wheel setup. I did see on the website that they could possibly do a custom application, so maybe just the tire? I do agree with the previous post. Too much paddle will bog on the motor, and zap HP. You want a little bit of wheel spin to be able to get the bike up out of the hole and get "on plane." A wider tire will help get up on top, but too much will hurt you also.

Doesn't surprise me that they said that. There's more money in making the entire wheel assembly. I'm actually surprised that they got back to you, and so fast. From my experiences when you even mention "XR" in any question they rarely get back to you. lol

Haha ya, they weren't too friendly. The custom tires are a bit wider and taller tho, so I wonder if the 18" rim with tire is similar in outer diameter to their 16" rims with the fat paddle?

Anyways, I guess I'll keep looking around. If you guys find any other sites let me know please! 🙂

My XR4 does great out there but is a bit heavy.

If you live close to the dunes find a good deal on a 450 --- you will love it in the dunes.

btw -- you can run a Michelin Sand4 and use the tire for general riding too!

Is your paddle a 8 or a 10 paddle? If you run a 8 maybe a 10 would do the trick

Hey sorry for the delay, just getting back into riding season so I figured I'd get back on the forums and apparently missed some replies.   

I currently run an 8 paddle.  I've added a lowering link to lower the weight a bit and that definitely seemed to help with the heavy bike.  Also added a pumper carb and the throttle response definitely makes handling in sand much easier.  Now that I've paid off some student loans, I have some money to play with so I might just look back into that Fat Paddle.  I really think a thicker tire would take away some of the squirly-ness out in the sand

www.skat-trak.com Send them an IRC M5B tire, which you can get in either 130/80 18" or 140/80 18" . Have them shave the tire and put on 8 or 10 viper paddles and you will never run another sand tire ever again. They are amazing!! It cost about $175-200 between the price of an M5B and Skat-Traks charge. When you call them, ask for Ramone and he will take care of you. Good luck!

Edited by WYO522