Sign in to follow this  

Folding trailer for my CRF250L

I pick up my 2014 CRF250L on Tuesday. Counting this one, the family will now have three dirt bikes. Up till now, I have been hauling the other two bikes on a two rail hitch carrier from Discount Ramps. Now with three, I'm considering pulling the trigger on one of these folding trailers-

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMzEzMjUyNTMiLCJza3UiOiI5MDE1NCIsImlzIjoiMjY5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjIxNzUifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

The folding capability would allow me to store it alongside the house, important as I have little room to spare. Does anyone have experience with these?

Larry

I have one just like that and it works great. I bought from a kid for $100 about 8 years ago. A little small for 3 full size dirt bikes though. Unless one of them is a mini. Mine will haul 2 full size bikes easily. And when I first got it I folded it once but haven't since. It's kinda heavy for one guy to maneuver and fold. And the little casters that it rolls on when folded up only work on good ground, not gravel or grass.

I love it cause its so light. I can push it around with a bike in it. Truck doesn't even know its there. I have hauled stumps, mulch, tree limbs, lawn aerator and I have a 4x4x8' box I put in it during the winter to haul my goose decoys to the corn fields.

If I were to haul 3 dirt bikes around I would buy at least a 5x8' trailer. But then you couldn't fold it.

Any more questions let me know.

• Like 1

I have one just like that and it works great. I bought from a kid for $100 about 8 years ago. A little small for 3 full size dirt bikes though. Unless one of them is a mini. Mine will haul 2 full size bikes easily. And when I first got it I folded it once but haven't since. It's kinda heavy for one guy to maneuver and fold. And the little casters that it rolls on when folded up only work on good ground, not gravel or grass.

I love it cause its so light. I can push it around with a bike in it. Truck doesn't even know its there. I have hauled stumps, mulch, tree limbs, lawn aerator and I have a 4x4x8' box I put in it during the winter to haul my goose decoys to the corn fields.

If I were to haul 3 dirt bikes around I would buy at least a 5x8' trailer. But then you couldn't fold it.

Any more questions let me know.

I will have two full size bikes, the CRF250L and the XR250R. The third bike is a CRF100F. Being smaller it can be a bit further back. Think they will fit?

Larry

Edited by EB-Larry

I will have two full size bikes, the CRF250L and the XR250R. The third bike is a CRF100F. Being smaller it can be a bit further back. Think they will fit?

Larry

I think they should. If you were to put the 100 in the middle and mount a wheel chock a few feet back unless the bars are lower than the seats of the bigger bikes. In that case mount the chocks for the two outside bikes back so the 100 would go in first. The wheel chocks are key. And harbor freight sells those too. I had to use them because with 2 full size bikes the bars would hit each other. And when you put the bikes to the outside of the trailer the outside tie down is straight if you know what I mean (hooks to trailer by bike tire when it should be a few feet away). Instead of at an angle to keep the bikes stable. So the wheel chock would help to keep the bike from rocking. Because when they rock the straps can come loose or unhooked and makes me nervous.

Edited by Crfsfan

If you do buy a trailer from HF,the first thing you need to do is take the wheel bearings out,clean them,and pack them with some good quality grease.I hang out on the teardrop forum and these wheel bearings fail at an alarming rate due to the super cheap,if any,grease the HF trailers come with.Once you do that its fine.I guess I'm just paranoid as I carry an extra hub assembly in my toolbox on my teardrop- 30 bucks is cheap insurance.

• Like 4

If you do buy a trailer from HF,the first thing you need to do is take the wheel bearings out,clean them,and pack them with some good quality grease.I hang out on the teardrop forum and these wheel bearings fail at an alarming rate due to the super cheap,if any,grease the HF trailers come with.Once you do that its fine.I guess I'm just paranoid as I carry an extra hub assembly in my toolbox on my teardrop- 30 bucks is cheap insurance.

Thats good advice for any trailer--I bought a new hi dollar 5th wheel years ago and one hub had NO grease at all when put togeather at the factory--I made it 800 miles b/f it took a dump and shed the tire wheel and hub--Luckly no one was hit bu the wheel tho the axel hit the pavement and bent--factory sent me a new one but what a hasell--Now i check every one b/f i go anyplace and repack at 5000 miles--MYSELF--

• Like 1

Has anyone had experience with this style trailer?

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-99721.html

sometime this june ill be making a trip to canada...about a 17hr drive from MA. 

I have something similar to that from Travel Rite.  Honestly, I'm not crazy about it.  My main gripe is that the bike just doesn't feel that secure on it.  With four straps you can cinch the front and back down pretty well.  But those straps do most of their work in preventing the bike from rolling forward or backward.  Mounted sideways on a bumper, there just doesn't seem to be a lot to prevent the bike from swaying side to side (front to back on your truck).  

To be clear, it WORKS.  I just don't like that it doesn't feel rock solid.  I will be moving to a normal trailer setup when I can afford it.

• Like 1

Has anyone had experience with this style trailer?

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-99721.html

sometime this june ill be making a trip to canada...about a 17hr drive from MA. 

I do, works great. Hauled the crf250L to a few shops and back without issues. Very easy to hook up and put the bike on all by yourself. You just need to balance the bike and get one tie down on, after that the bike is stable enough for you to let go and secure the other 3 tie downs. Only down side is it takes another person, or a lot of grunt, to get the bike down. Getting the front tire out of the large wheel well takes some effort. While I would much prefer a full size trailer, this definitely gets the job done.

Edited by JohnnyUtah787
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input guys.

I would bring my trailer up with me. But I'm not sure if my truck will be able to handle the load.... In skeptical on the truck even making it haha

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys.

I would bring my trailer up with me. But I'm not sure if my truck will be able to handle the load.... In skeptical on the truck even making it haha

well hell, either way, you'll have the bike with you...  so you'll never be stranded...  just unload, and ride on....  👍  :ride:

• Like 3

I have that exact same trailer. It works really well for one bike. But it's a bit narrow for two. I put extensions on the front made of angle iron so when strapping two bikes down the straps are wider. Bikes tend to rock a lot when the tie down point is close to the front tire. Get them a few feet away from the front tire and they are more stable. I hauled the 250l and an xl600 yesterday and the extensions really helped. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401546237.741368.jpg

• Like 2

ill be making a 14hr trip from plymouth, MA to Nova Scotia on the 19th. going to be my last hoorah before i get my knee surgery.

at the moment im stressing about a motorcycle carrier. the one at harbor freight looks good. downside id have to order to store, and you get what you pay for. i was on motorcycle superstore looking to see what they had. came across this.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/25448/i/cycle-country-wedge-lok-carrier

what do you guys think? anyone have experience with carriers?

I have welded up three of those for myself over the years --that one is overpriced ---look at harbor tools and on e-bay -I once saw then on e-bay for less than a hundered bucks with free shipping--I could not make one for a hundered bucks BTW--Hard to get into the back of your truck too--

im going to head to harbor tools in the morning tomorrow. hopefully they have one in stock. leaving on the 19th

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Motorcycle-Scooter-DirtBike-Carrier-Hauler-Hitch-Mount-Rack-Ramp-Anti-Tilt-/310946400777?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4865d98a09&vxp=mtr

Edited by Tcsglassworks

both you posted are steel...  just know thats double the weight of an aluminum one...  you can get this one for a good price...  

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/

• Like 1

both you posted are steel...  just know thats double the weight of an aluminum one...  you can get this one for a good price...  

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier/p/AMC-400/

Saw that one on there ebay store for free shipping. being aluminum do you think it would hold up for the long trip? last thing i want is to be picking my bike up off the highway in the middle of nowhere lol

Edited by Tcsglassworks
  • Like 1

the guy i work with carries his husky450 7 days a week on the back of his newer pathfinder... he drives like a maniac also... lol   his is aluminum....   i have no experience with them but i want one and my local dealer sells it also for $139 plus tax. so maybe even through them... 

• Like 3

ill be making a 14hr trip from plymouth, MA to Nova Scotia on the 19th. going to be my last hoorah before i get my knee surgery.

at the moment im stressing about a motorcycle carrier. the one at harbor freight looks good. downside id have to order to store, and you get what you pay for. i was on motorcycle superstore looking to see what they had. came across this.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/25448/i/cycle-country-wedge-lok-carrier

what do you guys think? anyone have experience with carriers?

I have one from harbor freight. It works okay. I hauled a xl600 1200 miles. The trick for me was to tie the bike down, then take another strap from the bikes handlebars to the trucks frame and tighten. It made the carrier ride at an angle but took all the wobble out.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402545163.878133.jpg

• Like 3