Hard Anodizing Fork tubes

My KTM fork tubes are black from the factory. They have faded horribly and while I have them apart for service I was considering having them hard anodized. Anybody had this done? What was your experience?

I've seen it done on a few units. Talk to the anodizer and see what thickness it adds. You don't want anything over 0.001" per surface (0.002" diameter). Even that is on the high-end of what should be acceptable for the kind of fit those tubes require.

Alternatively, some shops can mask it off and just anodize the outside.

Most good shops for Type II and Type III hard ano will charge ~$100 for a min lot charge.

Also, with black anodize, a lot of them are just a super dark purple dye, and fade badly after a lot of sun exposure. That's probably what you're experiencing now. See what the anodizers ACTUAL black finish looks like.

Anyone have a good reference? Race Tech wants $250. I would like to find a shop that does it to cut out the middle man but don't know anyone around my area.

Bumping this old thread/topic: I want re-anodize my faded upper 2008 KTM tubes. I might want them black or bronze, but my question is about the type of anodizing: II or III, and if it's okay to just mask in the inside if the inner surface is still in good shape. 

I have one estimate from a shop in Ontario, Calif that does a lot of this work for the major suspension companies and he's asking $280/set. 

The fading isn't typically the issue, it's the wear on the inside of the tubes. If you strip the entire leg of cosmetic anodizing and hard coat (type III) open you get the hardest finish, and the resultant color is a function of the base metal. I have done KYB, Sachs, and Marzocchi legs and they all come out a shade of greenish/bronze.

PM me for more details.

4 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

The fading isn't typically the issue, it's the wear on the inside of the tubes. If you strip the entire leg of cosmetic anodizing and hard coat (type III) open you get the hardest finish, and the resultant color is a function of the base metal. I have done KYB, Sachs, and Marzocchi legs and they all come out a shade of greenish/bronze.

PM me for more details.

Sent you a PM. 

In this case, it's cosmetic. 

I had after hours cycle in Michigan do mine on my Beta a couple years back. Steve was really nice to work with and had it turned around in short time for a very fair price. I'd use him again. (Motoxgiant above)

• Helpful 1

If it's just cosmetic and the inside is not worn, you might want to look into Cerakote, it's tough as nails.

22 minutes ago, atc250r18 said:

If it's just cosmetic and the inside is not worn, you might want to look into Cerakote, it's tough as nails.

I did, thank you. 

Cerakote won't take to the anodizing, so it needs to be blasted/etched off. Cameron Neomala has a good video on his cerakote fork tubes: 

If you are paying for the service (like me), anodizing works out about the same, if not cheaper. 

• Like 1