Sign in to follow this  

Hp ratings?

Why is it that when I try to find horse power and torque ratings on stock bikes there is no info?

So frustrating. Once and a while I find a number but they are guestamets or opinions and not facts.

Nothing ever listed on the manufacturer spec sheets on line.

You do not find the ratings because:

1. They are usually inaccurate
  2. Measurement all depends n air density and 'luckof the draw' regarding how well the parts are fitted together.
  3. They mean little in real life
  4. If the numbers come back low, they manufacturer gets sued

HP ratings are like waist sizes All depends who is measuring and why. Look at bike weights. All unrealistically low.

My Hp is can beat up your Hp. Kind of ridiculous. What matters is who can win races.

• Like 1

I want accurate numbers on 2008 Klx450r, Wr450, and a Crf450x. And while there are barometric differences for each day and altitude they can just use sea level at 70 degrees just like the automotive industry. And yes it matters. It's funny if you google spec's on most bikes they have a line for the torque and hp but they are blank. It's just like weight. The 2010 Suzuki Rmz450x is 20 lbs heavier than the other 450's. just want the facts.

I want accurate numbers on 2008 Klx450r, Wr450, and a Crf450x. And while there are barometric differences for each day and altitude they can just use sea level at 70 degrees just like the automotive industry. And yes it matters. It's funny if you google spec's on most bikes they have a line for the torque and hp but they are blank. It's just like weight. The 2010 Suzuki Rmz450x is 20 lbs heavier than the other 450's. just want the facts.

Yes it does matter. The brochures and reviewers make generic statements regarding "Power", "Torque", and where each is in the RPM scale. The shoot outs usually even dyno them and print the results -- and then disparage the weak ones for being lame! So I have to assume that it matters to just about everyone but the two experts here that don't care about it.

And like you said, these figures are standardized and published for street bikes, cars, and trucks. I've also noticed that some small engine manufacturers have also stopped publishing these numbers.

I wish they would just standardize the tests and calculations and publish the figures.

BTW: The KTM USA website states that the 450XC-F is a 60 HP monster. I wonder what standard that statement is based on?

He just needs to know how many bikes of a certain size he needs to pull his plow!

The reason I said it doesn't matter is because the first thing almost everyone does is repipe, rejet and "fix" all the OEM "problems" to the point where a torque and HP graph would bear little similarity to the original.Thats why they don't bother to publish one.

The main reason people want to know is so they can say"mine has more than yours".

The main reason people want to know is so they can say"mine has more than yours".

Not at all. I like to know the general amount of HP a particular displacement / configuration (2t / 4t) produces. I really don't care about having the highest number but I would like to have a general idea.

klx450r = 38hp wr450 = 38-40hp crf450x =49hp

Have you seen these? 2012 250's...

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2012-250-DYNO-SHOOTOUT-HOW-MUCH-HORSEPOWER-DO-THE-8915.aspx

and 2013 450's...

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/THIS-MUCH-WE-KNOW-HOW-MUCH-HORSEPOWER-DOES-YOUR-BI-10101.aspx

MX Action mag...

2013 HORSEPOWER NUMBERS

(From most to least)

1. KTM 450SXF...............56.95

2. Yamaha YZ450F.........55.24

3. Kawasaki KX450F.......55.05

4. KTM 350SXF...............54.18

5. Suzuki RM-Z450.........54.10

6. Honda CRF450...........51.55

7. KTM 300XC.................51.02

8. KTM 250SX.................49.77

9. Yamaha YZ250............47.10

10. TM 300MX.................45.95

11. TM 250MX.................44.02

12. KTM 250SXF.............42.88

13. Kawasaki KX250F.....41.15

14. KTM 150SX...............38.83

15. Honda CRF250.........38.43

16. Suzuki RM-Z250.......38.01

17. Husqvarna TC250.....37.84

18. Yamaha YZ250F........37.12

19. TM 144MX.................34.84

20. KTM 125SX...............34.66

21. Yamaha YZ125..........34.01

Wow! That's cool! I wish it had the Aprilia sxv and Husky super motos and all the enduro stuff. But that's good stuff thanks!

So by this chart my 440 2stroke would have more HP than any of the listed bikes.

Lol

For that matter a KTM 380 would also...