OMG another piston q

So I will try to make this as specific as possible to avoid the long debate.

Last year I installed a new piston kit and was persuaded by the local shop to use namura. Now I have about 30-40 hours on it. And want it out.

While the jug is off I am reinstalling with the 05 thinner base gasket. And phatheads hi compression head.

So considering I am after a low end power band. Would I benifit more from wiseco gp style single ring piston. Or a traditional 2 ring.

So I will try to make this as specific as possible to avoid the long debate.

Last year I installed a new piston kit and was persuaded by the local shop to use namura. Now I have about 30-40 hours on it. And want it out.

While the jug is off I am reinstalling with the 05 thinner base gasket. And phatheads hi compression head.

So considering I am after a low end power band. Would I benifit more from wiseco gp style single ring piston. Or a traditional 2 ring.

Congratulations on making it to 40 with a namura.

Compression is lowend powers best friend. And lowering the ports with the thinner gasket gives more lowend. So yes You will gain a lot of low end with the thinner base gasket, and phat heads head. You will need 100+ octane fuel from stacking the 05 gasket with the head. the head is designed for the stock base gasket. With the thinner gasket the stock head gets a bump in compression (very common mod) and with the high compression head, it does the same thing.

The only real difference between between the single and dual ring is drag, the single ring piston has less, it revs faster. The downside is the piston rocks in the bore a bit more and the single ring needs to be replaced more often. dual rings don't need Tobe replaced as often, and they rock less in the bore. but rev a tad slower. Most don't notice the difference.

Edited by adam8781

Thanks for the responses. I will be going with oem I guess. Is it vertex or pro x that makes the all the oems?

Ya the namura seemed like a no brainer talking to the local parts guy. I'm glad I am reading otherwise instead of finding out myself.

On a Sid note magura sent me the wrong clutch kit. They sent on for 08 and up crf450. They said I could either send it back or they could give me a good deal on the proper one. He says to me how about 150$. So I took it.

What's the difference between the two. Would the 450 kit have worked.

And anyone want to buy a hydro clutch new in the box? Lol

100 should be fine, And both cast or forged would be just fine. I just prefer forged pistons if you go cast replace it every 40hrs max. The hot exhaust port bridge kept smearing the cast pistons. I went to a wiseco and the problem went away.

i bought the bike used in 04, pulled the cylinder found the stock piston smeared all over the port

topend5.jpg

I had the cylinder replated to fit a oem cast piston perfectly. 15 hrs later it did the same f**kin thing. had it repaired again, went to wiseco. looked at the cylinder with the head off 2 seasons later when i was getting it ready to sell. No more problems around the pesky exhaust port.

Edited by adam8781

Thanks for the info. I already picked up a prox kit. So I will run that this season. Next rebuild will get forged.

The current namura piston replaced the oem. Is am curious to see what it looks like compared to the original. Bu I guess skirt failure just happens with no sighns of wear or stress?

Edited by redwheeliemonster

Thanks for the info. I already picked up a prox kit. So I will run that this season. Next rebuild will get forged.

The current namura piston replaced the oem. Is am curious to see what it looks like compared to the original. Bu I guess skirt failure just happens with no sighns of wear or stress?

Yes, never see them coming. Im still impressed you got 40 hrs out of the namura!!