Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki DR650 or Husqvarna TR650 (Terra)

Hello to All,

I do not currently own a motorcycle and, in fact, have never owned one. I rode an ATC 350 for ten years in just about every kind of off-road terrain though, so off-road is not new to me, just the two-wheel aspect.

I'd like to get into dual-sports with the idea of riding dirt trails mostly, but using the bike to get to the trail as well. If I can get comfortable with the street, I might also use the bike for "tooling around" the area around San Jose and surrounding parts (Alice's Restaurant maybe?).

Research I've done so far is pointing to either:

1) Suzuki DR650

2) Husqvarna TR650 Terra

My friend has a Honda XR650L, which I've ridden but the seat height at 37" is TOO high for my 5'6" stature.

What bike should I buy?

The tr650 is way ahead of it's time. I chose the TR after weighing both the dr650 Suz and the Husky. The Dr has a proven long history but is about 2 decades behind in technology as are most of the dual sports in the 650 corral. You get a lot of bike for the dollar spent. I bought the Husky in 2014 and its been a great bike for dual sports. I know it was discontinued this past year but there are many good deals on new left overs still out there. I tested the KLR, the DR, and the TR and the TR won hands down for price verses value and for up to date tech far ahead of the other two.

Chuck

Hello to All,

I do not currently own a motorcycle and, in fact, have never owned one. I rode an ATC 350 for ten years in just about every kind of off-road terrain though, so off-road is not new to me, just the two-wheel aspect.

I'd like to get into dual-sports with the idea of riding dirt trails mostly, but using the bike to get to the trail as well. If I can get comfortable with the street, I might also use the bike for "tooling around" the area around San Jose and surrounding parts (Alice's Restaurant maybe?).

Research I've done so far is pointing to either:

1) Suzuki DR650

2) Husqvarna TR650 Terra

My friend has a Honda XR650L, which I've ridden but the seat height at 37" is TOO high for my 5'6" stature.

What bike should I buy?

Don't completely rule out the Suzooki DRZ's. They are a good reliable bike and should be a little lighter than the others.You might just try a lowered seat by SDG or someone.