Sign in to follow this  

Yet another fork swap

Just started putting together the pieces for a CRF fork swap for my XR4.

Purchased:

2007 CRF450R forks

2004 CRF250R triple clamp

2003 CRF450R wheel

I'm planning to turn down the CRF stem using my lathe, add bump stops with 1/4" bolts, and make some spacers to fill the difference in height on the triples.

Should be all I need, right? The caliper should bolt right up from what I understand.

The headlight straps that you are currently using on your XR400 might not work on the Beefy CRF forks. I use a Baja Designs headlight on mine and had to get some bigger straps to work with my CRF forks.

Are the front axles the same size? That may be something to consider. I had to change the bearings in my motard wheel to get it to fit my front axle.

i'm probably going to dual sport this in the future so i'll sort out the headlight at that point.

It's funny I could have bought a 450X for about the same as this bike and all the parts, but their is something about XRs. Every time i've sold an XR I regret it. I've decided to build this one how I want it so I can keep it for the next 20 years.

i'm probably going to dual sport this in the future so i'll sort out the headlight at that point.

It's funny I could have bought a 450X for about the same as this bike and all the parts, but their is something about XRs. Every time i've sold an XR I regret it. I've decided to build this one how I want it so I can keep it for the next 20 years.

You my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar. XR's are like a drug, in this day and age of new fangled, high revving, stiff suspension, sporty looking bikes, once you're addicted you can't get off of them. I'll never sell my XR, it just means too much. Anyways, if you have pictures post those babies up here. One day I might flip the front end USD.

You prob won't be real happy with the stock CRF lower triple clamp as the bolts contact the stock tank way too soon. Sure, you'll adjust the steering stops to prevent contact but the total lock to lock distance will be considerably less than it was with stock forks even if you switch to smooth, round headed allen bolts. Search for an aftermarket lower triple that puts the bolts in a different orientation on the triple than the stocker.

You my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar. XR's are like a drug, in this day and age of new fangled, high revving, stiff suspension, sporty looking bikes, once you're addicted you can't get off of them. I'll never sell my XR, it just means too much. Anyways, if you have pictures post those babies up here. One day I might flip the front end USD.

Well, don't get me wrong, I have a 2012 crf250r, and I do like modern technology, and I do absolutely love that bike. But you just can't buy bikes like the XR400 anymore, bikes that will run endlessly, are designed to be easy to ride, which sacrifice absolute performance for simplicity and ease of use, that you don't always have to ride aggressively.

I learned to ride on an XR200, and I beat the absolute snot out of that bike. It was dropped hundreds and hundreds of times, abused in the most horrible of ways, and it still kept running perfectly. You just don't find that anymore, these days a bike is a basket case and parted out after 5 or 6 years.

I like valves I can adjust with a screwdriver and not need a hundred pack of shims, and pistons which are designed to last more than 15 hours.

You prob won't be real happy with the stock CRF lower triple clamp as the bolts contact the stock tank way too soon. Sure, you'll adjust the steering stops to prevent contact but the total lock to lock distance will be considerably less than it was with stock forks even if you switch to smooth, round headed allen bolts. Search for an aftermarket lower triple that puts the bolts in a different orientation on the triple than the stocker.

Hmm, ok. I'll have to look into that. I have access to a cnc mill, maybe ill just cut a new lower clamp which takes the CRF forks and XR stem.

Look at this TAG lower triple on ebay, ebay item 360498176444. It looks like the bolts are on the front of the triple instead of the rear like the stock CRF lower. (I could be wrong but it looks that way in the pic). The one I used on my bike (made by Performance Engineering) is similar to that and provided more tank clearance by not having to adjust the steering stops to keep the protruding bolts from contacting the tank. Unfortunately this one is a diff offset than stock I believe so you'd need a similar upper with the same offset.

lsaanne is right, you do definately loose a little turning from stop to stop... but imho it isn t a real big deal.. i ride some pretty tight sierra stuff and it doesn t bother me at all... the only time it s a hassle is turning a u turn occasionally on a fireroad... but then you just plant a foot an light up the rear bring it round for a second... used bolts for mine and i d do it again... my old baja straps fit but it was a s t r e t c h.... also my 97 caliper didn t work... my xr front had a code of 'kcy', if it helps ??

good luck

+1

I have also read that the Clarke 3.8 tank offers more fork clearance but I've never tried one on my bike.

The XR caliper should work no prob you just need to remove the XR caliper mounting bracket and use the CRF caliper mounting bracket if I remember correctly.

The XR caliper should work no prob you just need to remove the XR caliper mounting bracket and use the CRF caliper mounting bracket if I remember correctly.

yeah, thats right... just when you look to buy a crf bracket only, you can find a complete crf brake for less money on ebay... fricken stealerships..

i d say if you have the $$, sure go for an aftermarket lower clamp... but i sure wouldn t let it be the determining factor as to whether to do the usd conversion or not... lot and lots of folks with usd conversions that run 1/4 bolts for steering stops and love it...

i d say if you have the $$, sure go for an aftermarket lower clamp... but i sure wouldn t let it be the determining factor as to whether to do the usd conversion or not... lot and lots of folks with usd conversions that run 1/4 bolts for steering stops and love it...

Yeah, I originally just set mine up with the stock triple and the 1/4 bolts for the stops and it still worked decent but the limited turning radius eventually started to annoy me so I kept my eye out for a good aftermarket lower triple that would improve the tank/triple clearance. Ended up finding one for cheap on ebay, under 50.00 and then welded on some home made aluminum stops.

Edited by lseann