Sign in to follow this  

Stranded in PineTop - Need help - 2009 Electrical problem

I am riding my 2009 KRL 650 up to PineTop AZ, and 10 miles out of town, the bike quits. I push the start button and nothing happens. No sound, nothing. The lights work, the horn works, the engine isn't seized, and I believe I have found every possible fuse and checked it, none are blown. I took the kill switch apart, it looks fine. I have followed every wire and everything is connected. I am not at a total loss. What could I be missing?

Thanks

Mitch

Responding for moral support more than anything.

First gen. had a clutch cutout and sidestand cutout that I believe could do this. Not sure if it's a unplug or jump wires situation, or if it pertains to '09.

A search on KLR650 could direct you more active websites for the KLR.

Have you tried pushstarting?

Travel a lot, understand breaking down.

Good luck!

Mike

Solved - one of the brown wires that connects the kill switch to the ignition system, buried deep in the frame, underneath the gas tank (for real), inside 3 layers of black tape, had a small little notch in it when it got assembled (we think), and over time, it had rotted right at that notch, and the long ride to PineTop finally broke it.

I literally took the entire electrical system apart.

funny stuff

I hope this doesn't happen to ANYBODY else.

Thanks

• Like 1

Solved - one of the brown wires that connects the kill switch to the ignition system, buried deep in the frame, underneath the gas tank (for real), inside 3 layers of black tape, had a small little notch in it when it got assembled (we think), and over time, it had rotted right at that notch, and the long ride to PineTop finally broke it.

I literally took the entire electrical system apart.

funny stuff

I hope this doesn't happen to ANYBODY else.

Thanks

Glad it worked out. You did a good job, "whatever it takes"

Similar problem on my Z out in the boonies. Main fuse blew, than blew again. tore the bike apart and the main hot wire rubbed through on a too long factory screw on the thermostat housing.

Good troubleshooting skills are important on the road or you will suffer a lot of grief. But the tough times only make the good times even better!

Mike