Sign in to follow this  

05 rm250 flywheel weight 8 or 10oz?

Undecided on if I should get an 8 of 10 oz flywheel weight. Leaning towards the 8,but just curious what is most popular. Also,I'd like to get an IMS or Clarke tank,but never saw either in person. If they are bulky or make bike feel odd,than I would rather just use stock. Appreciate input.

I have a 10oz on My 04 and completely satisfied,,,the stock tank will go 40 miles, or about 2 hours max on the harescrambles,,,I would stick with the stock tank if that duration is enough for Your needs............Dr.D..

10 oz. Dr.d likes a 7-8oz on a yz250 for motocross. 8 oz on an offroad bike isnt enough. Go with a 10. Heck even mortal mx racers use 10oz fww on 2 strokes.

Edited by adam8781

Cool. Thanks guys. I will get the 10oz. I had an 05 yz250 but can't remember what weight I ran on that bike and saw people run anything from 6-13oz on an rm . If it feels to heavy,I will shave it. Appreciate the suggestions

10oz, you could always machine it down if it was too much. At the same time if you rode in high traction conditions then a lighter FWW would be better, slick rocky conditions or really technical conditions would be easier with a larger FWW.

Undecided on if I should get an 8 of 10 oz flywheel weight. Leaning towards the 8,but just curious what is most popular. Also,I'd like to get an IMS or Clarke tank,but never saw either in person. If they are bulky or make bike feel odd,than I would rather just use stock. Appreciate input.

I own a 2003 rm250 and it has the Clarke 3.4 gallon tank. it's a little bulky at first but when you get use to it,  you'll never notice it. The tank looks a little weird at first because its big, but well worth it if your racing or exploring new places. I think they make a 3 gallon tank which would be enough for a two hour race.

flywheel weight and gearing,

At first no flywheel weight and  I went up three teeth on the rear. For me this was a horrible combination, but I thought the gearing would help with hill climbs and forward acceleration . Wrong! It made the bike very difficult to ride especially with all the rain this year. The rear tire would spin every time I touched the throttle. The way I look at it is, if your spinning your wheel your  not going anywhere and if your spinning your wheel going forward or up a nasty hill climb, your not going as fast as you would be if you could get that tire to hook plus your losing that valuable momentum.

this really helped me and made the bike much more user friendly

gearing  one tooth up on rear sprocket

flywheel weight  8oz

This made a huge difference in traction and hill climbs, ten times better. 

last week I ordered the 10oz flywheel

Here is why, I believe  what one of the guys posted about having different weights for different types of tracks and track conditions.

Our hare scramble tracks here in ohio differ a lot, some have crazy hill climbs, mud bogs, creek/ river sections, tight single ( thank you Curtis krump and Lighting ) and others are long and wide open with few or easy hill climbs.  I think I will use the 10oz for the tight more technical  tracks and the 8oz  on the  more wide open stuff. 

whichever one you go with I think you will be happy. 

I hope this was helpful

Hey, radcliffhs250, I bet after You put that 10zer on Your bike You will probably leave it on,, I have used a 10zer My 04 for Years on woods tight tracks, MX, hills..wide-open stuff,,,,,,pretty much everthing,,,and it works very well,,,,,,,,hope it works good for You ac717.....................Dr.D..

I've run 8 and 10 oz flywheel weights. Personally I prefer no weight. Clutch and throttle control for me.

I have an IMS 3.2 tank. It sits lower than the clark. It's not much wider than oem. I can get just over an hour from the oem tank during a gp and high 40's in mileage before going bone dry. The IMS also gives me a little more bike to grip.

I ended up with the 10oz weight. I thought it would be too much,but its actually perfect for me. It hooks up a lot better. For the tank I got a Clarke. It was cheap. Looks kinda funny but sitting on the bike its not noticeable. The only other things I did was some jetting, adjusted power valve,got a gnarly pipe and a spark arrestor for enduros. I put a yz250 reed spacer on also. I really like this bike. Its very responsive and has very usable power with this setup. I had a tm250mx and a ktm250 and a 300 before this as well as a yz250. The RM turns better. Motor is pretty much the same as the 05 yz250 I had. Trans seems broader on the RM than the yz. I Have an ohlins shock on the RM and re-valved the forks. I thought about getting an 18" rear wheel,but I was looking at putting a Rmz swingarm and wheel on it so I can swap between my rmz's. Love this bike and its a shame suzuki stopped making it. This is my favorite 250 I have ever owned.