Sign in to follow this  

Hub/Axle sizes

Im new to thumpertalk but I have a 2000 XR250R and im looking to buy an extra set of wheels to put road tires on, can anyone tell me what other wheels will fit? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Andrew Westfall

XR400 front will fit with an axle and spacer change.

Rear, pretty sure you will have to stick with a 96-04 XR250 wheel.

The xr400 front hub ia the same size, just swap out the bearings and it'll go right on. The xr400 rear hub is wider than the 250r and im trying to figure out what I'll need to make it work as well, im thinking just some xr400 spacers and it'll be fine, since the rear axles are the same size.

250 and 400 rear wheel centerline dimensions (centerline of rim to centerline of sprocket) are different so your front and rear sprockets won't line up.

Gary

Cant that just be fixed with spacers offsetting the rim? Or even adjusting the spokes to kick the hub out toward the chain side.

Cant that just be fixed with spacers offsetting the rim? Or even adjusting the spokes to kick the hub out toward the chain side.

400 hub is about a 1/4" wider between brake disc and sprocket so I can't see how you would do it without some serious engineering (or a FBH).

Edited by Guest

Does anyone have actual measurements on the Xr250r and xr400 rear hubs?

Maybe this will help someone, XR400 axles (Autocad practice years ago.)

8fzj.jpg

jwmr.jpg

Does anyone have actual measurements on the Xr250r and xr400 rear hubs?

I just measured my 250 and 400 at 144mm (5.667") and 149mm (5.866") respectively. Measurements are from inner face of disc to inner face of sprocket ie: face to face of hub. The wheels are fitted to the bikes so I had to negotiate spokes, chains, discs, sprockets etc but the measurements should be very close.

Gary

Awesome man, just the measurements I'm looking for, maybe i can have Rad Mfg machine a narrower hub for me :D