Sign in to follow this  

shorter intake- what year yz250?

I was looking for a shorter intake to the reed valve for my 05 rm250..like the 06-08 rm250 has. Supposedly the yz250 boot is shorter,but not sure what year yz? I was going to buy an 06 rm250 intake boot,but cheapest I can find is $42. Yz I can get used for $20. Is this even worthwhile mod? Good enough with just the spacer? Thought about just trimming stock unit,but not sure what is "special" about the 06 reed intake boot...

I dont know why you would want to make the 05 more like the 06-08. The 05 was faster. the 06+ was a bit easier to ride mind you :cool: . I have never heard of using the yz air boot. But for 20$ try it out. if it doesn't work you are only out 20$.

People mention using the reed spacer and reed to carb boot from the yz. In 06 the RM basically got these 2 pieces...but I can confirm that the intake boot to the reed valve is actually shorter on a yz. I will look into it. I just got the rm250. I enjoy the hit, but I mostly ride 4 strokes now, so its hard for me to time how the power comes on. Also the bottom end is weak feeling to me. I would be willing to sacrifice some mid/top for more bottom. I ride mostly offroad.

If your looking for more low end and to make it more controllable you are going in the right direction, but don't forget about picking up a new pipe ~ PC2 or Gnarly and even a FWW.

If your looking for more low end and to make it more controllable you are going in the right direction, but don't forget about picking up a new pipe ~ PC2 or Gnarly and even a FWW.

Yep. Got a 10oz FWW ordered and a gnarly. Bike has a V force 3. Current pipe is a fatty and a power core silencer. Will put a gnarly on when its time. Measure squish. Whoever did last rebuild used a generic base gasket and its on the thick side. Will try stock base gasket and check squish/try to get port timing lower or at least back to stock.

If you were to buy a Vforce 3 reed valve for your RM250 you will find that it has the same part number as the YZ250.

If you were to buy a Vforce 3 reed valve for your RM250 you will find that it has the same part number as the YZ250.

Correct. Reeds,intake boot,spacer,piston I know for a fact interchange/same. Looks like clutch cable is same as yz250. Air filter is same too. Closest person I know with a yz250 is a couple hours away from me,otherwise I would compare my carb to reed intake boot to see if it is actually smaller on the yz.

OK...made a 5mm reed spacer out of plastic. Also put a 3mm pipe spacer on. Took it for a ride and this gave a pretty good increase on bottom end and made the transition in the power band more linear. Can't wait to get the actual reed spacer and the FWW. There is a decent size table on my track I can clear on my 250f and my 450,but the rm250 just spins and I come up about 2-3 feet shorter. Jump is right out of turn. Bike makes awesome power,but on hard pack clay or slippery conditions,it is hard to get the power to the ground. Wheel spin is my biggest gripe right now and the FWW should fix that. Still want more bottom end.JJetting I got NECJ 3rd clip,48 pilot and 170 main. Air screw at 1 turn out. Feels rich. Might go to 2nd clip and drop main to 168. I raised float. It was pissing gas in turns. Running Lucas 32:1 with pump 93 and Lucas octane booster. I will probably get the 06 intake boot. If I can't get more bottom end,I will see about a thinner base gasket. Squish was around .08" bit I just went through spark plug hole with the solder. The base gasket is on the thick side. Looks like the tusk one-its grey. Think cometic makes a thin base gssket...we will see. Love this bike-so much fun I rode for a half hour in the rain.