engine ice

I was looking at engine ice to use, but when I looked at the price they want over $20 for a pre-mix of 1/2 gal. I can buy the propylene glycol formula Prestone Low-Tox antifreeze, $18 for a gallon and mix up my own with distilled water, as the engine ice is a propylene glycol formula product. I can't see paying over 2X as much for the same thing. What do u think?

Paying for the name lol. I got better cooling when I replaced the fluid regularly. Its not rocket science. 450s run hot in the woods same with 250fs they are not made to do that. You have to be moving I usually can get a way with it but I run at a reasonable pace but no where near haulling ass. I dont recommend it and have to say if your overheating check the coolant level and flush the system and then make sure you replace it. Maintenance is key on any bike.

• Like 1

Paying for the name lol. I got better cooling when I replaced the fluid regularly. Its not rocket science. 450s run hot in the woods same with 250fs they are not made to do that. You have to be moving I usually can get a way with it but I run at a reasonable pace but no where near haulling ass. I dont recommend it and have to say if your overheating check the coolant level and flush the system and then make sure you replace it. Maintenance is key on any bike.

Agree, and I totally try to avoid one-off and expensive parts or fluids. My boilovers have not been coolant related, or not totally. A fan helps, and is probably less expensive than fancy coolants.

Mike

Buy Redline Water Wetter instead and just add a few capfulls to your existing 50/50, 70/30, or 80/20 coolant mix. For a $10 bottle, if you changed your coolant every year, 1 bottle would last several years.

The lab testing results I've seen indicate it's better at doing what both products are designed to do anyway. Get it at Autozone.

Engine Ice uses propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol for the antifreeze/boil protection. I was just trying to duplicate engine ice for less money. Propylene glycol is much less toxic. 1 teaspoon of ethylene glycol will kill a small dog or cat, poisons the kidneys. Back in the late 60's when I worked at the local drug store. we sold propylene glycol to farmers. They put it in the cattle feed as it tastes sweet. Ethylene glycol tastes sweet also, which is why animals can be attracted to it.

I am not having boil over problems, just setting up my new to me, low hour 08 so I can go riding. Water Wetter sounds like a good idea as I never use a 50/50 solution, more like 70/30. More water, better cooling. And out here in Albuquerque I don't ride slow trails, just out in the dez, 2-5 gear mostly.

Never had the need to run EI in a MX bike, but I did use it in my CR125 powered shifter kart. I had some issues of slight overheating on hot days, I was typically running a bit too hot at about 155F , after swapping to the engine ice it dropped the temps to about 140F so I observed a 15F temp drop.

Engine Ice uses propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol for the antifreeze/boil protection. I was just trying to duplicate engine ice for less money. Propylene glycol is much less toxic. 1 teaspoon of ethylene glycol will kill a small dog or cat, poisons the kidneys. Back in the late 60's when I worked at the local drug store. we sold propylene glycol to farmers. They put it in the cattle feed as it tastes sweet. Ethylene glycol tastes sweet also, which is why animals can be attracted to it.

I am not having boil over problems, just setting up my new to me, low hour 08 so I can go riding. Water Wetter sounds like a good idea as I never use a 50/50 solution, more like 70/30. More water, better cooling. And out here in Albuquerque I don't ride slow trails, just out in the dez, 2-5 gear mostly.

Unless there is something else in Engine Ice, this does not make sense. EG Freezes lower, boils higher, and has higher heat capacity than PG (according to Dow that makes both).

In my experience, we only use PG in food applications where the reduced freeze and boil protection is not required.

I appreciate the toxicity deal, but I just dispose of it properly and don't let the dog drink it. I think for engine cooling applications you're better just using EG.

Agree, and I totally try to avoid one-off and expensive parts or fluids. My boilovers have not been coolant related, or not totally. A fan helps, and is probably less expensive than fancy coolants.

Mike

I run the engine ice and no fan (because I want my bike as light as possible) and I've never had a boil over ever. When I first bought my 450 (brand new) I could literally feel the heat rising off the engine and radiator and thats through my riding gear. Replacing the coolant with Engine Ice did away with feeling this heat.

I change coolant every three years and 1 bottle is good for 2 fills. That works out to a whopping $3 bucks a year.... :doh:

Edited by Sharp Shooter

I was having overheating issues on tight stuff with lots of hill climbs. I tried a combination of 50/50 EG and Distilled, with and without Water Wetter and distilled water only with Water Wetter and while it was better, it still would lose coolant. I saw post here where a member figured out Engine Ice was 60%PG and 40% water. I bought a gallon of Sierra PG and mixed 60/40 and haven't had to add a single ounce since. I rode some gnarly slow stuff this past weekend with lots of slow uphills and my bike didn't overheat once. A few other bikes *couch* KTM's *cough* were having overheating issues. I checked after the ride and the coolant level was right to the top. Last year at the same place I was having serious issues. I would have to add coolant after each loop.

Edited by EagleFreek

I was looking at engine ice to use, but when I looked at the price they want over $20 for a pre-mix of 1/2 gal. I can buy the propylene glycol formula Prestone Low-Tox antifreeze, $18 for a gallon and mix up my own with distilled water, as the engine ice is a propylene glycol formula product. I can't see paying over 2X as much for the same thing. What do u think?
engine ice is worth the money. engine ice is all i use

I was having overheating issues on tight stuff with lots of hill climbs. I tried a combination of 50/50 EG and Distilled, with and without Water Wetter and distilled water only with Water Wetter and while it was better, it still would lose coolant. I saw post here where a member figured out Engine Ice was 60%PG and 40% water. I bought a gallon of Sierra PG and mixed 60/40 and haven't had to add a single ounce since. I rode some gnarly slow stuff this past weekend with lots of slow uphills and my bike didn't overheat once. A few other bikes *couch* KTM's *cough* were having overheating issues. I checked after the ride and the coolant level was right to the top. Last year at the same place I was having serious issues. I would have to add coolant after each loop.

There you go man cracking whats so great about engine ice. Right on ?

He's saying he's using propylene glycol, not engine ice.

And ethylene glycol wasn't working for him.

He's also saying that propylene glycol is what engine ice is so I'm asking what's the diff between this brand name stuff and the big ass barrel I have sitting in the shop?

Edited by runnybunny

Never had the need to run EI in a MX bike, but I did use it in my CR125 powered shifter kart. I had some issues of slight overheating on hot days, I was typically running a bit too hot at about 155F , after swapping to the engine ice it dropped the temps to about 140F so I observed a 15F temp drop.

I hope you mean 255f and 240f???

Personally I just run Evans and forget about it. Boiling, whats boiling? lol

I hope you mean 255f and 240f???

Personally I just run Evans and forget about it. Boiling, whats boiling? lol

No. I meant exactly the numbers I posted. 2 stroke MX engines normally don't run temps anywhere near 240F

Edited by Polar_Bus