Sign in to follow this  

California Ktm 300 questions

The thoughts of a lighter more powerful bike are sounding better to me everyday. I have some concerns about the ability of the two stroke. I enjoy riding over rough terrain much more then I enjoy riding high mph. I'm not the fastest rider on the trails, but the rougher the trail the better. First and second gear rides are what I like best. Is the two stroke suited for this type of riding, better then the four? Or is the four stroke the bike to stay with?

I'd hate to pay full price for a new 300. But, what years would have the same geometry and suspension as the new ones?

Any input from you oil burners would be appreciated

The thoughts of a lighter more powerful bike are sounding better to me everyday. I have some concerns about the ability of the two stroke. I enjoy riding over rough terrain much more then I enjoy riding high mph. I'm not the fastest rider on the trails, but the rougher the trail the better. First and second gear rides are what I like best. Is the two stroke suited for this type of riding, better then the four? Or is the four stroke the bike to stay with?

I'd hate to pay full price for a new 300. But, what years would have the same geometry and suspension as the new ones?

The only time I would rather have my 450 over my 2T is out in the dez if I'm going to be over 50 MPH a lot of the time. For everything else I prefer the lighter, more nible, easier turning, smoker. I find the 2T a lot easier in the tighter/rougher sections and more fun overall.

• Like 1

Last year I went from a 2003 525 EXC to a 2010 300 XC and it was the best decision I ever made. I love my 300 it is light and has plenty of power, it actually turns (unlike my 525) and you can ride it almost like a 4 stroke if you get into trouble or make a mistake. It's seriously the closest thing to the best of both worlds 2T and 4T. You can ring the snot out of it like a "typical" 2T or lug it (almost) like a 4T.

In my opinion the best thing to do is ride one, if you know someone that has one. That's what I did, rode my buddy's 300 and I put my 525 up for sale the next day.

As far as frame geometry etc I think there was a change in 2012 but I'm sure it's something you can easily google or look at ktmtalk.

• Like 2

If you can get the electric start, that would be the first thing to look for. Mine's a 05 EXC. If you are on the fence about buying one, Mine will be finished with a refurbish around October which is when I have weekends off. You are always welcome to try mine out.

I had the suspension revalved/sprung for a 190lb rider for desert racing, old rekluse Zstart with medium springs and 10 tungsten balls set up for hard core single track, and I ditched the clutch lever and have the LHRB. When it's finished with the refurbish I will have the Tubliss setup and rebuilt Flexx bars.

I will give you a fair warning that the PDS suspension is not for everyone. I hated mine until the revalve.

05 was the first major frame update. 09 and up have the good electric starters. Anything 05 and up handle great with a good revalve. If you like a marshmallow feel, you might be able to find one of Javier's Trail Trick "magic carpet ride" bikes floating around.

I might add that my 300 still works really well on the slower single track. At the same time it does good in the high speed stuff, rocks, whoops and "G outs". It really is a do all bike. The gearing on the 5 speed EXC is basically a 3 speed. 2nd-4th is what I use 90% of the time.

1219111058.jpg

• Like 1

That settles it. 3 posts and all three have exactly what I got or am looking for.

Just got to figure out what years to look for now.

👍 Just sling your leg over 1, you're butt will tell you what's up.

I just spent $50 for a new clutch @ Rocky Mt. A complete top end cost me $100 for a piston & rings. I have a 3.2 gallon IMS tank now that allows me a 75 mile range.

Mine starts 1st kick. The new one's even have the magic button.

The 1 drawback is it's red sticker & no license plate. The Sierras allow red stickers all year but the OHV parks are hit & miss.

I'm 300 lbs & I try to ride in 3rd gear all day. It will pull below idle and rev to the moon. It's getting to the point that KTM's are all I see out there on the trail anymore. (hehehehe! Where do I ride?) The 2-Stroke crowd is also getting more common.

I used to have an XR400 that only gave me 1 choice on the technical single track, gas it & hang on! This KTM will allow me to turn 3 times before I hit that obstacle.

I love mine! 😉

Edited by superslyko
  • Like 1

I have an 01 EXC and a 08 XC-W. ones green sticker and ones red. Only reason I got the 08 is the e-start and I thought if the 01 was so good, the 08 would be 10 times better. the button is nice but I love the 01. They both grunt way low, and with the hydraulic clutch they are almost stall proof

Rode my friends 3hundy...had one few weeks later. lugs great and revs to the moon. so much easier to fling than a 450. e start is the @#%$!!!!

I love my 300 xcw. 221 lbs dry, electric start, dumb simple maintenance, super low 1st gear and plenty tall 6th gear. It is almost like having 12 gears because you can lug each gear or drop down one and get on the pipe. Lugs almost as well as my old 4 stroke. I put a 5.3 gallon acerbis tank on for a 190-200 mile range (for my jetting/altitude). She will go 70 mph no problem but your hands fall asleep after awhile. This bike is amazing for 1-45 mph riding. I believe that a 2 stroke is more reliable then a 4 stroke due to less complexity and moving parts. Nothing has the power to weight ratio of a 2 stroke.

Took me some time to get used to a 2 stroke but I am now riding it faster then I rode my old 4. It does take some time to get used to using the clutch more precisely. It is much easier to break the rear free on a loose slow climb if you aren't paying attention. The lack of engine braking made me learn to use my rear brake.

You can change out the spring holding the power valve shut to control when it opens. You can also adjust the pre-load on the spring to further tune things. The timing can be adjusted by opening or closing a single electrical plug under the tank allowing for further customization of how the power is put down.

I recommend the xcw over the xc as the gears still seem plenty close enough for me. The xcw switched to a 6 speed from the 5 a year or two prior to the xc I believe.Cold or hot she has always started on the first kick but I usually use the button. Got mine plated.

Watch this video once a day every day and soon a 300 will appear in your garage.

Edited by pizzaforbreakfast