Sign in to follow this  

need help on trading for woods bike

ok guys i got a pretty mint 03 rm250....sst pipe, shorty silencer,boyesen rad valve, barnette clutch, new plastics, and new 7/8 protaper henry bend bars ...plus complete engine rebuild all within the last month...im working on buildin me another woods bike scince i went stupid and sold my 04 eric gorr yz295..anyways i got a guy wanting to trade me 05yz450f wich is also in great shape but fresh engine and new plastic no pipe or anything....whats bike is better suited for woods....i really like my rm its the first suzuki ive ever owned...what should i do

Your RM is not set up very well for off-road so a stock 450f would be a better choice. Ditch the SST pipe and shorty silencer (should have a spark arrestor silencer anyways) and then it will be better but still needing work. Again, I hate to admit it but the YZF does sound like a better deal at the moment.

Not the woods I ride. No comparison hands down the RM can be a 10X better woods bike than a YZ450. YZ think flame outs and a huge pig in the woods.

Throw a 10 oz FWW, Gnarly pipe, reed spacer and some simple suspension work and your RM is good to go.

My 03 is a serious woods weapon, I race Senior A hare scrambles with it.

I have it modded to the max, but thats just because I don't think you can find a better woods bike and I would rather keep rebuilding it then buying new. I could afford a new bike, but nothing right now is worthy of me trading in the RM.

I have an 04 RM 250 and a 09 YZF 450. I would say the 450 (recluse/flywheel weight) is really in its element in the more open terrain. When things get tighter and nasty I like my RM (fly wheel weight/ read spacer/Fatty/TurbineCore II) better.

I am more comfortable with the RM though...had it longer. I will try sketchier/nastier obstacles with the RM. Open flowy trails or desert type terrain then I would have to give the nod to the 450.

MX 2012a.jpg

EnduroX 2012.jpg

Memorial Day Funday 2013a.jpg

Memorial Day Funday 2013b.jpg

I wouldnt trade a 2 stroke MX bike for a 4 stroke MX bike if you want a better woods bike. Your two stroke is at least lighter than the YZ450F. I had an '08 YZ450F that was OK on the trails, but I eventually went to an enduro bike (Husaberg FE450). Would still like to try an enduro oriented two stroke (such as a KTM 300 XC-W, but couldnt find a used one for a price/condition/hours where I was comfortable.

TribalBC is giving great advice on making it closer to a woods bike. Only other thing that you might consider is an autoclutch. Buddy just picked up a used Rekluse Z-start pro for his WR450F for $240 and I had a chance to ride it and loved it. Rekluse doesnt make the Z-start pro for the Suzuki 250 2 stroke, but I see they make the Rekluse EXP . If you can find a used one....might be worth trying. New ones aren't priced too bad at $399 retail.

p.s....I believe the '05 YZ450F is a 4 speed bike as well...making it even worse for trail riding than my '08 YZ450F which at least has a close ratio 5 speed.

Edited by SilvFx