Sign in to follow this  

knocking after rebuild

Before i get into it heres some history. the motors never had any trouble always did regular maitinance. Was riding one day and and the motor lost all power and sounded like it jumped time. I stoped and the bike started first kick and ran fine for the next 4 hours but after a break I started the bike and noticed a knocking sound. i had to ride it back to the truck. Got itback to the house and started tearing her down. Everything was good except it jumper time by 2 teeth.Figured while i had it apart i would do a top end rebuild. Replaced the timing chain, piston rings and wrist pin, also put a full two bros pipe on it. The knocking is still there. almost forgot but the piston had marks on it where it went up far enough to take the carbon off the exhuast side but there was no indentions on the piston or the valves. The bike starts first kick and has great power. heres a video of how the bike sounds now.

th_IMG_0667_zps83586621.jpg

If piston had marks on it more than likely bent a valve. When mine went it was hard to tell just by looking at it, but once stripped easy to tell. If the timing jumped almost guaranteed it dropped a valve

I made a dummy mistake I forgot to put a header bolt on and that was noise I was hearing. But it is still smoking really bad, smoking to much to just let it go, I thought it might be the jetting because of the new exhaust but its way to much smoke for that to be it.

try putting it through a few heat cycles (ride it) to let the new rings set, if its still smokey then it maybe a few things:

how did the nickle plating look on the cylinder walls? was there a good crosshatch all around the cylinder? RMZ's tend to wear down the plating on the exhaust side of the cylinder, you may have an out of round cylinder, or improperly installed oil ring, or a valve stem seal leak.