Sign in to follow this  

Carb and seafoam

I have a 2007 kx250f. The bike dies at idle without the choke. So I assume the idle jet is gunked up. My question is, if I have the choke on, does gas still run through the idle jet? I wanted to put some seafoam in the gas and get it to run through the idle jet and let it sit for a day or 2 to clean the gunk out, but the only way it will idle is with the choke on. (The air filter is clean)

Other than this, the bike runs great.

...you could take the carb apart and clean it yourself? Use seafoam deep creep, i pretty much swear by it. Taking it apart and cleaning the jets out yourself is the best result you're going to get.

...you could take the carb apart and clean it yourself? Use seafoam deep creep, i pretty much swear by it. Taking it apart and cleaning the jets out yourself is the best result you're going to get.

I have no idea how to clean the carb. Hell, I do not even know how to take it off. Youtube was no help for me, I do not want to attempt it. I feel if I can get some seafoam to flow through the idle jet, it will clean itself out.

A dirty fuel screw passage is also often to blame. The fuel screw meters how much gas the pilot jet delivers.

I think most modern carbs choke is a separate fuel circuit all its own. Unlike older models like my XR that just closes a flap in the carb throat to restrict air flow, creating a rich condition.

In order for Seafoam to be of any help, you're going to need to drain the carb float bowl of fuel. You could just put in the recommended amount to the existing fuel in your tank, but it wouldn't mix as well as if your drained the tank of existing fuel, put in the recommended dose for a certain amount of fuel, then filled the tank with that amount of fresh fuel. Then open the petcock for the treated fuel to fill the bowl.

Seafoam is a good product, but it's not a miracle cure or replacement for a good manual cleaning of carb components. You'll need to burn a full tank of treated gas thru the bike before expecting any positve result. Letting treated fuel set in the carb a few days is not how that stuff works.

Edited by Trailryder42

I have no idea how to clean the carb. Hell, I do not even know how to take it off. Youtube was no help for me, I do not want to attempt it. I feel if I can get some seafoam to flow through the idle jet, it will clean itself out.

It'll benefit you greatly to learn how to do it yourself. Its not hard at all. I learned how to do it on my sleds when i was growing up. Youtube will help alot, so will this forum. Either that or waste the money and take it to a shop for a simple fix.

I have a 2007 kx250f. The bike dies at idle without the choke. So I assume the idle jet is gunked up. My question is, if I have the choke on, does gas still run through the idle jet? I wanted to put some seafoam in the gas and get it to run through the idle jet and let it sit for a day or 2 to clean the gunk out, but the only way it will idle is with the choke on. (The air filter is clean)

Other than this, the bike runs great.

Gas won't run through the idle jet if it's completely clogged even on choke. The choke on modern carbs opens up another fuel circuit, not covering the intake for more vacuum like old cars and small engines. Even when the pilot jet wasn't completely clogged I've never had any luck with fuel treatments.

On many bikes you can loosen the hose clamps holding the carb to manifold and air boot and rotate it so you have some access to the float bowl. Take off the float bowl and you have access to the jets. From there you can stick a piece of fish line or a strand of copper wire through the pilot jet. Then a squirt of carb cleaner and it's done. Works for me.

Watch forsheems how to clean a 4 stroke carb part one on youtube it's a really easy task.

That video really help out, I may be able to do this lol.

On many bikes you can loosen the hose clamps holding the carb to manifold and air boot and rotate it so you have some access to the float bowl. Take off the float bowl and you have access to the jets. From there you can stick a piece of fish line or a strand of copper wire through the pilot jet. Then a squirt of carb cleaner and it's done. Works for me.

This seems like a pretty good idea. I feel I can do this after watching this youtube video

I may attempt this tomorrow before my daughters b-day party. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help.

So far so good (sort of). I took the sub-frame off, cleaned all the dirt off of it. Cleaned all the dirt from my air box and surrounding areas. Then I went to work on the carb. I did not take it completely off, just rotated it and removed the bowl.

Unfortunately, I striped one of the screws that holds the bowl onto the carb, I had to drill it out so I cannot start the bike yet. But I got the jets cleaned out. I will try and get a new screw today or tomorrow and see how she runs.

Edited by Premium Malt

99% you just need to clean or replace the pilot jet and clean the bowl out while it's off. No need to remove or disassemble the whole carb.

• Like 1

99% you just need to clean or replace the pilot jet and clean the bowl out while it's off. No need to remove or disassemble the whole carb.

Thats what I figured. The actual bowl was clean as a whistle too.

replace the bowl screws with socket heads and pick up a ball head allen wrench. Sometimes you can boil the jets clean in a pan of water on the stove with a little dish soap added. On singles I usually just replace them but have service many 4 cylinder bikes and it get expensive buying new jets.

When I was living in Monterey something with the corn fuel and the ocean humidity would clog a pilot jet in two weeks if the bike wasn't ran. I am glad you figured it out, you are on your way to having your bike never see the inside of a shop.

Well where to begin.... I got a new screw from home depot, I put the carb back together, turn the gas on and it was leaking all over the place. So after all that trouble, I ended up having to removing the whole carb from the bike. After closer inspection, the culprit was the vent tube clip. It was not in the correct spacing and left a gap between bowl and carb.

Got it all put together, back into the bike, turn the gas on and NO LEAK! Success..... NO! The bike will not start. I have to give it gas and kick at the same time for it to run, but it will not run at idle, even with the choke on. Not only that, the thing is backfiring like crazy.

Edited by Premium Malt

I think it's time for you to learn how to wrench some. 👍 You've been hanging around here for awhile so now it's time to learn from other members on here. Did you make note of what your settings were as far as the idle adjustment knob and idle mixture screw?? If you didn't that was your first mistake. But it can be easily remedied. Start the idle air mixture at 1.5 turns out from all the way in. And as far as the idle adjustment it's probably best to have a high idle at first then a low idle. So turn that in a few more times and go from there.

Remember theirs nothing mystical about carbs or any other part of the bike for that matter. It's simply a matter of taking things apart and putting them back together and replacing worn out parts.

Edited by 79yamdt

I think it's time for you to learn how to wrench some. 👍 You've been hanging around here for awhile so now it's time to learn from other members on here. Did you make note of what your settings were as far as the idle adjustment knob and idle mixture screw?? If you didn't that was your first mistake. But it can be easily remedied. Start the idle air mixture at 1.5 turns out from all the way in. And as far as the idle adjustment it's probably best to have a high idle at first then a low idle. So turn that in a few more times and go from there.

Remember theirs nothing mystical about carbs or any other part of the bike for that matter. It's simply a matter of taking things apart and putting them back together and replacing worn out parts.

Had idle adjustment to high idle, fuel screw at 1 3/4th - wont start, backfiring like crazy.

Had idle adjustment to high idle, fuel screw at 2 1/8th (factory setting per manual) - wont start, backfiring like crazy.

I am lost.... The backfiring really has me worried. Just to add, the bike sounded exactly the same between the 2 different fuel screw adjustments.

I'd tear it apart and just check everything once again. Recheck float level also. If it worked somewhat before you tore into it, it should work better once you clean it up and put it back together. I'm sure you'll be able to get it figured out through trial and error and help on here 👍

A backfire can be caused by an overly rich or overly lean condition either of which could happen if floats aren't set properly. I'd also throw out whatever jets you had in there and get new ones. Their only 3 bucks or so a piece and it seems like you can never get a used jet as clean as it was when it was new.

Also if your on a big buck spending spree I'd pick up allenhead screws for the float bowl it will end any problems with rounded screw heads. They should cost you all of one dollar maybe 2 if you go for SS hardware.

Edited by 79yamdt

I'd tear it apart and just check everything once again. Recheck float level also. If it worked somewhat before you tore into it, it should work better once you clean it up and put it back together. I'm sure you'll be able to get it figured out through trial and error and help on here 👍

A backfire can be caused by an overly rich or overly lean condition either of which could happen if floats aren't set properly. I'd also throw out whatever jets you had in there and get new ones. Their only 3 bucks or so a piece and it seems like you can never get a used jet as clean as it was when it was new.

Also if your on a big buck spending spree I'd pick up allenhead screws for the float bowl it will end any problems with rounded screw heads. They should cost you all of one dollar maybe 2 if you go for SS hardware.

Uhhh... The last thing I want to do is take the whole bike apart again. This has been an almost 2 day ordeal that made things worse.

I never removed the float, do you still think that could be a problem?