Sign in to follow this  

2013 125sx vs 2013 150sx

I'm in the market for a new bike, I'm currently ridding a CRF150RB and am looking at either the 125SX or 150SX . I'm 5 foot 3 and about 110lbs and ride a lot of woods but also race MX on weekends. I've ridden a family members 2010 CRF250R numerous times and can ride it fine but found it to be to heavy at times and costly to fix. I was wondering which bike you would think will last the longest top end and bottom end wise and which bike has the nicest power band to ride? I am also wondering if the rumors about the 150SX main bearing blowing at 20 hours are true or not, and if the 144 head is to much strain on the rest of the engine?

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks you,

- Jac

Go with the 150. The bottom end should be the same. Bx a 125 and 200 is just a little bigger bore and longer stroke. So a 144 and 150 should be somewhat in the middle on those. I haven't ridden a new 125 but my old one had a great mid and top end. The 150 has to be a bit better so you can hang onto the bike a little longer.

• Like 1

The 150 has quite a bit more horsepower and torque than the 125, you wont have to work the motor as hard as the 125 for a given speed, so in theory it will last much longer. At your weight and the riding you do you might want to consider a 150XC, the suspension is more than capable of moto at your weight, and it has an 18" wheel that is much better off road, and a 36mm carb instead of the 38mm on the 125, so much better throttle response and lug-ability for technical off-road riding. A friend of mine has a 2012 150XC and he weighs 190, it's an amazing bike.

• Like 1

The early 144SX models had all sorts of issues from rings chipping on poorly cut ports in the cylinder to bearing failures due to poor stock jetting.

However, the 144SX model was replaced by the 150SX model because KTM wanted to remove the negative stigma of the 144SX.

The 144SX and 150SX are the same motor, just the 150SX has the updates to fix the issues AND a smaller carb, the one out of the 125.

There are no real issues with the 144SX if you update the jetting and replace the piston/cylinder with the updated versions. Its the same bottom end as the 200XC, so it can handle the 144cc top end no problem at all. I tend to replace my 144 pistons at 60hrs and they come out looking great, I've never had any major issues.

In terms of the bikes, the 144cc machines are the perfect compromise. They offer a tiny bit more power and if geared like a 125, its a pretty potent weapon.

I have both a 125SX and a 144SX updated to a 150SX and I vastly prefer the 144 over the 125, its flat-out a better bike.

• Like 1

Add another tally to the 150. I have not ridden the KTM125, but I have ridden plenty of 125 smokers throughout my racing career and have ridden most of the newer 250Fs as well. Even though the 150 has noticeably more power than any 125, its also much easier to ride. I just recently bought a 13 150sx and absolutely love the bike. Its ready to go as soon as you bring it home from the dealer. I always get that itch when i get a new bike, to go out and get stuff for it right away. As I looked at in the garage after the first ride, there was literally NOTHING I could think of changing (this is my first KTM as well, so the overall quality was something I was not used to). I recently went to a weekday track ride with my 58 year old father that started me racing, and he has never been a huge 2T lover, but took the 150 out for his first time and couldnt stop talking about how much he loved it the WHOLE ride back home. I think it is literally impossible to find anyone that doesnt enjoy riding this bike, and I'm not sure I can say the same thing for the 125. Yes they are that much different, and yes the 150 is that much better.

Good luck

• Like 2

Even though the 150 has noticeably more power than any 125, its also much easier to ride. I just recently bought a 13 150sx and absolutely love the bike.

Its ready to go as soon as you bring it home from the dealer. I always get that itch when i get a new bike, to go out and get stuff for it right away. As I looked at in the garage after the first ride, there was literally NOTHING I could think of changing

Yes they are that much different, and yes the 150 is that much better.

Good luck

I agree, the only small bore I've ridden that even comes close was my YZ 144, but that got sold and the KTM is still here.

I'm in a similar position, keep trying to find something I'd like to change, can't find anything yet, seems perfect....at least for me.

I've ridden mostly 125's for the last 20 years with a few 250's peppered in. The 150sx is just enough more bottom end than a 125 to be a little more forgiving in the corners and on the jumps.

So....yep, one more vote for the 150, I liked the comment about looking into the XC, the thought crossed my mind before I bought the SX.

Thank you all very much for the information, the 150 sounds like a down right amazing bike to ride! I am also curious if the 150 SX will hook up and ride properly with my weight on it? I am only 110lbs and 5 foot 3 for that reason will the suspension on a 125 SX be more in my favor?

The early 144SX models had all sorts of issues from rings chipping on poorly cut ports in the cylinder to bearing failures due to poor stock jetting.

However, the 144SX model was replaced by the 150SX model because KTM wanted to remove the negative stigma of the 144SX.

The 144SX and 150SX are the same motor, just the 150SX has the updates to fix the issues AND a smaller carb, the one out of the 125.

There are no real issues with the 144SX if you update the jetting and replace the piston/cylinder with the updated versions. Its the same bottom end as the 200XC, so it can handle the 144cc top end no problem at all. I tend to replace my 144 pistons at 60hrs and they come out looking great, I've never had any major issues.

In terms of the bikes, the 144cc machines are the perfect compromise. They offer a tiny bit more power and if geared like a 125, its a pretty potent weapon.

I have both a 125SX and a 144SX updated to a 150SX and I vastly prefer the 144 over the 125, its flat-out a better bike.

Thank you very much for clearing that up about the 200XC, that has me feeling more comfortable about buying the 150. I've been told stories from friends about 150 SX's main bearing going way to often compared to the 125, have you had a problem like this with your 144? How many hours are you normally getting out of your 144 bottom ends?

Thanks Very much!

I would get the 150 in a heartbeat. It is absolutely the most fun bike I have ever ridden! I can assure you that every time you ride the bike, you'll be smiling and nodding you head that you made the right purchase 👍 .

Edited by Fretburner
  • Like 1

Thank you all very much for the information, the 150 sounds like a down right amazing bike to ride! I am also curious if the 150 SX will hook up and ride properly with my weight on it? I am only 110lbs and 5 foot 3 for that reason will the suspension on a 125 SX be more in my favor?

I'm pretty sure the suspension is the same for both bikes.

Thank you very much for clearing that up about the 200XC, that has me feeling more comfortable about buying the 150. I've been told stories from friends about 150 SX's main bearing going way to often compared to the 125, have you had a problem like this with your 144? How many hours are you normally getting out of your 144 bottom ends?

I mean, I'm not the fastest guy on the planet, but I've never had a single issue with the bottom ends on my 125 or 144. They're absolutely rock solid.

At your weight you might find the suspension of the SX rather punishing, the XC has slightly softer settings, but probably still very stiff for you.

My friend that has a 150XC has softened his suspension and he is 190. The XC is a much better bike for mixed woods/track use.