Sign in to follow this  

Time to spend some money on exhaust.

04 drz-s, Thinking powerbomb / Q4 kit with the correct jetting. Not interested in 3x3 mod because I ride some nasty trails and there's no telling what it will get in to. I like the idea of a quiet bike though. Any thoughts? What's the deal with MRD? I haven't researched parts in quite some time.

Stock other than 14/47, d606's. Bike sees a lot of tight trails, 1-2 gear.

Get the MRD/SSW pipe, tis not exactly quiet tho, lol

I have heard that the FMF Q4 is so restricted to make it quiet, it really has no gains over the stock pipe.

• Like 1

04 drz-s, Thinking powerbomb / Q4 kit with the correct jetting. Not interested in 3x3 mod because I ride some nasty trails and there's no telling what it will get in to. I like the idea of a quiet bike though. Any thoughts? What's the deal with MRD? I haven't researched parts in quite some time.

Stock other than 14/47, d606's. Bike sees a lot of tight trails, 1-2 gear.

Just curious, what exactly is your reason for wanting a different pipe? Performance gains? A little more authoritative bark than stock? Looks? And what's your budget for this? If you like a quiet bike, stick with stock and spend your money on something like suspension that you will really notice since you ride in 1st and 2nd gear a lot.......just my opinion, but money better spent.

• Like 2

I run a full yoshi system. I like it alot. Mine is stock other than rejet. I also avoided the 3x3 and opted to keep the snorkel.

You can lose several pounds by ditching the stock pipe for a nice upgraded unit. The stock pipe performs adequately and is fairly quiet. But it is a little on the hefty side.

Edited by jtgrimm

I run a full yoshi system. I like it alot. Mine is stock other than rejet. I also avoided the 3x3 and opted to keep the snorkel.

You can lose several pounds by losing the stock pipe.

Why avoid the 3X3 mod? you put in bigger jets, it should now get more air, imo there is no down side to doing the 3X3 mod.

• Like 2

Why avoid the 3X3 mod? you put in bigger jets, it should now get more air, imo there is no down side to doing the 3X3 mod.

Eh I'm one to typically leave stuff stock.

But I ride through all kinds of crap. I feel that the snorkel offers a little more protection against hazards and high water.

I suppose it just makes me feel safer at the very least🤣

Edited by jtgrimm

Eh I'm one to typically leave stuff stock.

But I ride through all kinds of crap. I feel that the snorkel offers a little more protection against hazards and high water.

I suppose it just makes me feel safer at the very least🤣

if waters getting through the snorkel id say thats the least of your worries haha. i have yet to hear a complaint about the 3x3 causing issues. now riders cutting holes in the number plate is a different story.

if your looking for a good all around pipe and are just looking for a little more bottom end maybe consider finding a good used E head pipe and skip a full system.

• Like 1

if waters getting through the snorkel id say thats the least of your worries haha. i have yet to hear a complaint about the 3x3 causing issues. now riders cutting holes in the number plate is a different story.

if your looking for a good all around pipe and are just looking for a little more bottom end maybe consider finding a good used E head pipe and skip a full system.

You know, the other day, I saw a bike with the 3x3 mod done on the side of the bike. Through the removable panel that one removes to access the air filter. Is this what you mean by number plate? I was really surprised to see this. As it seems as if it might cause some problems.

Edited by jtgrimm

You know, the other day, I saw a bike with the 3x3 mod done on the side of the bike. Through the removable panel that one removes to access the air filter. Is this what you mean by number plate? I was really surprised to see this. As it seems as if it might cause some problems.

yes. most will use a hole saw and drill several holes, some riders do this on bikes that have been heavily modded. i doubt you would ever have problems regardless of condition. your bike would be completely under water before water would get into the top of the airbox,

yes. most will use a hole saw and drill several holes, some riders do this on bikes that have been heavily modded. i doubt you would ever have problems regardless of condition. your bike would be completely under water before water would get into the top of the airbox,

Nahhh mannnn haha

I'm just gonna leave mine be :D

Nahhh mannnn haha

I'm just gonna leave mine be :D

without the MRD and 3x3 your missing the amazing sound of a thumper..BRAAAAAPPPPPP!!

• Like 1

I heard the MRD pipe last night for the first time, but it was the pro-comp one. is there much of a difference between that one and the other one?

I believe the SSW version of the MRD exhaust came on my '09, sounds great and the power difference between the stock system and the MRD was very noticeable (stock system required for a safety inspection but since removed).

If you don't wanna break the budget man and get some decent power gain get a DG Performance exhaust. No one really knows much about them but they were top of the line exhausts back in the 70's and 80's for two smokers. Now they've integrated into a pretty big company once again, I have a DG R series exhaust on my "E" and it's amazing they sell a quiet core insert for like 10 bucks so you can ride parks and forest roads. The pipe will run you like $150 👍 and it's a great bang for the buck

I found this ad in Dirt Bike magazine today at the store so they're not that small of a company any more🤣 :

mms_picture (6).jpg

If you don't wanna break the budget man and get some decent power gain get a DG Performance exhaust. No one really knows much about them but they were top of the line exhausts back in the 70's and 80's for two smokers. Now they've integrated into a pretty big company once again, I have a DG R series exhaust on my "E" and it's amazing they sell a quiet core insert for like 10 bucks so you can ride parks and forest roads. The pipe will run you like $150 👍 and it's a great bang for the buck

I found this ad in Dirt Bike magazine today at the store so they're not that small of a company any more🤣 :

i just did some work on a friends xr400 and one of the things was a new dg pipe, 3x3, and a re-jet. it did help with performance but it is really frickin' loud!

Just curious, what exactly is your reason for wanting a different pipe? Performance gains? A little more authoritative bark than stock? Looks? And what's your budget for this? If you like a quiet bike, stick with stock and spend your money on something like suspension that you will really notice since you ride in 1st and 2nd gear a lot.......just my opinion, but money better spent.

I think all of the above, looks, want some better performance and a little more sound. I plan on doing suspension this winter as well.

As far as 3x3 mod, it seems like a lot of stuff is flying around when your axle deep in water/mud for 20 ft. I'd rather have an airbox without a giant hole in it. Maybe I'm over thinking it?

If your going to leave it be then theres no point in jetting it and you might as well save the money on an exhaust... just sayin...

• Like 1