Sign in to follow this  

Getting back into the dirt

a little history, Ive been riding since I was 12, i'm now 26. My list of off road machines:

1984 xl100

1985 cr125

1991 xr250

2001 ex400

2006 kfx400

and now have a street 2004 Honda cb600F.

So i'm looking at getting back into dirt riding for a few reasons, but my main concern is what bike?? Ive been out of the dirt for a while and when I left there really was not much to choose from for strictly trails use. I would say I prefer 4 strokes, Ive had more experience with them. Although Ive been eyeing a few ktm 300exc that look pretty cool. My MAIN concern is reliability and maintenance. I loved my XR250. No, it wasn't the most advanced bike or fastest, but it was a fantastic bike to ride. Could ride all day on a tank of gas, drown it in a lake and fire it back up. Simple and easy to work on. So ive been looking for used XR250/400s mainly, but the 400's are hard to come by. I want something that I can lug around, do all types of trail riding, ride with my friends who all own ATV's, do fire roads, and come back to camp with gas left in the tank and a motor that wants to keep going.

The bikes I have been looking at ( all used, i'm on a tight budget )

XR250/400

KTM 400XCW

WR250F

KTM300EXC

or possibly a newer 250f/x...but my concern is the top end maintenance and the gas tank size, they just look so tiny.

I live near Ottawa if that helps at all.

If you are into trails, then I recommend either a 250 2 stroke or an XR 4 stroke. 250 2 strokes are super reliable and easy to work on. The top of the engine on a 250 2 stroke is also lower in the bike, so the gas tank can hold more fuel and do it at a lower height than any 4 stroke can. Xrs are the best 4 strokes ever made. Modern 250fs are terrible at everything. I can't wait for that fad to finish dying.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

youll get bored from a 250 4t dont get those

that leaves you with the KTMs and the xr4

what i would do in this situation is go and test-ride all of them, either from a dealer or private seller

that way you can actually compare them

There is also the KTM200XC, im not sure how this would compare. I guess my main concern on the 2 strokes are gas tank size and just not having a lot of riding experience on them.