Sign in to follow this  

Supertrapp Minimum Discs

I just took apart my Supertrapp to repack it and it has 6 disks. Can I remove some to make the muffler quieter? The packing was not so bad. Just burned out at the header end. The packing also had this mesh cover on it. Do I put this back on after I wrap the packing material? It has internal discs and you can see the muffler here: https://thumpertalk.com/garage/vehicle/296-honda-xr250l-1994/page__tab__images

Cheers!

I have a supertrapp for my L but have not tried it yet. It's different than yours'. The discs are external and visible at the tip of the muffler. I need to make some type of diverter to keep the exhaust away from the fender and luggage.

I have a supertrapp for my L but have not tried it yet. It's different than yours'. The discs are external and visible at the tip of the muffler. I need to make some type of diverter to keep the exhaust away from the fender and luggage.

What is the minimum discs you can use on that one?

Are you sure that is a Supertrapp muffler XRMarc? Cant really see properly in the pics

Try some stainless scourers around the baffle tube to allow the exhaust to flow into the body of the muffler, A muffler packed too tight is basically like straight pipe & will be loud>

http://www.thumperta...s#entry10860039

Baja Rambler im pretty sure you can buy a heat shield for your muffler, I have a few different ones for the White Brothers E-Series, Something like this for your supertrapp>

http://www.raceready...exhaust-shield/

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=supertrapp+muffler+parts&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Tmf&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4RHgUbX6HIyhiAfmy4GYCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1173&bih=507#safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=2R0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=supertrapp+shield&oq=supertrapp+shield&gs_l=img.3...635798.638277.0.638743.6.6.0.0.0.0.325.1431.2-5j1.6.0....0...1c.1.19.img.gtxi7s7icI0&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.dGI&fp=4882146118d99bf0&biw=1173&bih=507

0e546813_4-inch-shield640x480.jpg

Edited by XR250INOZ
  • Like 1

Are you sure that is a Supertrapp muffler XRMarc? Cant really see properly in the pics

Try some stainless scourers around the baffle tube to allow the exhaust to flow into the body of the muffler, A muffler packed too tight is basically like straight pipe & will be loud>

It has the Supertrapp name on it. I think it is really old.

OK, that's why it is so loud. It is was not only packed super tight but also had a mesh cloth around the packing. I will pack it like they do on youtube and leave the 6 discs in for now.

I repacked it and it is deeper sounding and way less popping on deceleration. I didn't remove any discs. The minimum is 4 from what I could find out. I have 6. Still loud like a dirt bike and not as loud as a Hog.

All this time thinking of just getting one of these...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190689068794?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

How did you go about the repacking, Did you just roll a sheet of muffler packing round the baffle tube or did you use loose muffler packing material or did you try the way I did it using the stainless also?

The DG mufflers might be OK but the do look rather cheap?

hi,

good info on the packing issues - thanks, ( my supertrapp is like Baja Ramblers pipe)

I'm contemplating doing mine - XL 250 r n3 BAJA = Japanese home market model @1992,

I believe it's the full-power XR RFVC engine = kick-only,

I'm also experincing a few cold starting issues,

did the valve clearances change much over the years,

I'm going to check them but not too sure what the std. clearances are for the XR 250,

any input would be most welcome,

thanks,

Charlie

Edited by varesecrazy

How did you go about the repacking, Did you just roll a sheet of muffler packing round the baffle tube or did you use loose muffler packing material or did you try the way I did it using the stainless also?

The DG mufflers might be OK but the do look rather cheap?

I ripped off the old stuff and rolled on the new stuff.

hi,

good info on the packing issues - thanks, ( my supertrapp is like Baja Ramblers pipe)

I'm contemplating doing mine - XL 250 r n3 BAJA = Japanese home market model @1992,

I believe it's the full-power XR RFVC engine = kick-only,

I'm also experincing a few cold starting issues,

did the valve clearances change much over the years,

I'm going to check them but not too sure what the std. clearances are for the XR 250,

any input would be most welcome,

thanks,

Charlie

What is the size of your pilot jet? If it's 38 then put in a 42.