Sign in to follow this  

2t on rocks

I have a CR 85 bigwheel. I ride lots it off road technical ensure style trails. Coming off of 4 strokes I realize that this bike really bogs down on steep, technical, rocky climbs. (yes it makes me wish I had a powervalve) but is there any technique to over come this? Or do I just rev sky high and deal with it? Thanks

come in with momentum, down shift early. If you have to work the clutch, there are different things you can do depending if you need to improve traction or rpm. Slipping the clutch can reduce power (spin) and maintain some drive. Feathering is usually to help keep traction when rpms can be maintained. Sometimes you have to pull in and drop the clutch quickly to let the rpms increase at the cost of traction (you'll start spinning).

When you say "rocky" are you talking boulders that you have to go over/through in first gear, feathering the clutch, or just scattered loose rock on a more open trail?

80/85 2T's aren't exactly known for having good bottom end power or a smooth powerband, so adding a flywheel weight can help smooth things out and help to prevent some bogging/ stalling. If you mostly ride in slower/ tight terrain, gearing your bike lower would help to keep you engine operating in the "meat" of it's power.

When you say "rocky" are you talking boulders that you have to go over/through in first gear, feathering the clutch, or just scattered loose rock on a more open trail?

80/85 2T's aren't exactly known for having good bottom end power or a smooth powerband, so adding a flywheel weight can help smooth things out and help to prevent some bogging/ stalling. If you mostly ride in slower/ tight terrain, gearing your bike lower would help to keep you engine operating in the "meat" of it's power.

I mean boulderish in 1st gear. I've gotten the hang of loose stuff. that's all momentum. But the 1st gear climbs are tricky cause the,bike bogs so bad. I'm just wondering if there is a technique other then revving and clutching

Sounds like the Bog needs to go. Maybe carb work is in order. The bike needs to be running right if going up steep rocky hills.

It seems to run fine, but Its lack of bottom end and a powervalve make it stall if I'm not revved really high going up steep stuff. there than that its fine

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/honda-flywheels.html

the top two are the flywheel weights, you will not regret it. get the heaviest you can. and the gearing. those two will make a huge difference

yeah a flywheel weight is definitely on my list. Along with a skid plate and pipe guard. I saw a 12.5 Oz. On Ebay. I'll snatch one up.

An 85 even with a flywheel weight is going to have little low end power. My KX100 has a flywheel weight but not much bottom end. Then I put a ridiculously large rear sprocket and now I can do trials stuff on it. The downside is top speed in 6th is only about 35mph max revved out.

• Like 1