Sign in to follow this  

first time duner: any tips?

so Im going quading at the oregon dunes (sadly no dirt bike rentals: I ride dirt bikes but I'm on vacation). The scariest part for me is going too fast and going off of a drop off. How can I prevent this? How common do drop offs occur in the oregon Dunes? Also, can you get maps that show stationary landmarks? Lastly, I would like to stay around the traily and pondish areas like this. Do the oregon

Dunes have any good places like this? Thanks for the help.

8b570702a4815cb35afc2bc5b235f28a.jpg

Scout out the area you want to ride in before you go fast to make sure there are no "surprises" and when you do start riding, go decently fast to stay on top of the sand, then the fun begins

• Like 1

the main thing is just look ahead, don't go over any blind ridges, drops off, what ever faster than you can stop in the distance you have.

Pay attention to the way the dunes have formed. They do shape a certain way and are predictable.

Next time do anything in your ability to get on a bike.

Where are you going? I've been to Winchester Bay a few times. There were places that have water like you were showing, but only after it rained. This late in the year I doubt there will be any pond spots out there. The area south of the Umpqua River is much larger than to the area north of the river, so I'd recommend going there. There are a ton of drop offs out there, varying in size. Some are large enough that you could get hurt if you went off at high speed. Like kawi rider said, it's important to scout before you ride fast.

Be safe and have a good time, that's the important part!

Keep momentum up, front end light and take it easy until you get the hang of it. Like one of the above posters said, trying learning to read the dunes and get their flow. Many times this will already be done for you by other riders and sand rails. Also, quads are a whole different animal in the dunes. I rode a Raptor 700 for a day in the dunes and it beat the snot out of me. If you are like me and strictly ride dirt bikes you will be used to the up and down motion. 4 wheels and you have all sorts of up and down and left to right at different intervals which makes for a jarring experience. Another piece of advice if you are concerned about drop offs and witches eyes is to stick around camp or drags in the afternoon. High noon is a tough time to ride and spot anomalies due to very little shadowing. In Glamis we ride morning to noon, hang out at one of the drag hills for a couple hours for some lunch and drink and head back out.

Keep momentum up, front end light and take it easy until you get the hang of it.

Put another way, the front end will move around like a wheelbarrow full of wet cement. Let it. Your momentum will carry you straight, so stay loose on the bars.

reedsport is close to Winchester bay sand dunes, If this is your first dune ride and the terrain you are looking for travel south 10 minutes and go in @ spinreell or better yet go down to hauser area and ride out of riley ranch . The only way the sand drifts are gonna hurt you is if you ride like you know the place. Don't be afraid to dune the big dunes there a blast just don't ride above you abilities you will do fine. Sounds like you are gonna rent quads go to steves atv rental in the hauser area .

so Im going quading at the oregon dunes (sadly no dirt bike rentals: I ride dirt bikes but I'm on vacation).

Is this your first time riding a quad? Or just in the dunes?

Like the other said, just be sure to scout ahead before you rip it up. 👍