Sign in to follow this  

Best all around pipe for 10-13 YZ250F?

William, in general do you think pipes are a waste of money? I looked at some dyno's and it seems you are only getting. 1 to 1 1/2 more hp and I wonder if that even makes a difference?

For what it's worth, I dropped a tooth in the rear, run the MT Air4orce (short stack) and have a Yosh RS4 slip-on. It feels like I can pull better in the higher part of the powerband and still is a tractor in the lower-part of the power curve. Not sure what type of riding you do, but I ride/race MX and am really pleased with the results. It's obviously not a total monster but I feel like I'm making better use of the power now.

per the MXA magazine dyno test, the pipe that has the broadest spread of power is the Dr D.

I help test 2 pipes on a buddies 07 a year ago. he and i both agreed , per our butt dyno, that the Dr D was much better than the FMF.

I guess the question is, do we need more power...I really struggle w/that question, sometime on a larger track I feel I need a little more power but then I ask myself realistically would it matter? Would having a more powerful bike help my results? I genuinely think not, 2 quick examples,

1. 30c-most of the class is 450's and generally I will be top 2-3 for holeshot (granted this is a smaller track w/a small straight after the gate)

2. Large sweeping corner last week w/a long straightaway after the turn...me and a guy on a 2012 KX250f were neck and neck, it wasnt like he was crushing me because he had 3-4 more hp..this surprised me. Actually the last guy off the gas was a larger predictor of success than hp.

Are my thoughts in-line?

BTW i weigh almost 200lbs on an 09 yzf.

I went back and forth 2 different times about wanting a KX250f, strictly for the motor as a great starting point. The 1st time was when I ended up buying my YZ new in 2011 instead and then again over this past winter, when I debating trading it in on a 13 KX. As of right now, I have the YZ dialed in. No, it doesn't make amazing power, but I certainly think how it sits right now, compared to when it was bone-stock, does help a little. I don't know if it's the couple hp I may have gained or the fact that it is moved to where it is more useable for me. Either way, I think if a rider has their motor/suspension dialed in on a YZF, KX, etc etc then your results will be about the same. I remember in +25, I once got the holeshot on a YZ125, uphill start and the gate also had 450s, 250 2strokes on the line. Maybe god was on my side that day, but it happened lol. I guess what I'm saying is, if you you get the power where you like it, the suspension dialed for you, then chances are you will be just as competitive on the YZ as a new Kawi or whatever else.

Biggest gains/power 'moves' is from cams. However, since they only come with stickers, few buy them. No one will know you have them because the bike stock is so fast. Moving the power around does make riding easier in some cases however, dropping a tooth up front or adding three in the back can do the accomplish the samething and is a lot cheaper and often easier.

Everyone wants a pipe because everyone will know you ride a 'modded bike' and nearly anyone can install it (five bolts). IMHO, a pipe is one of the last things that you should need to do. Though a WR does really benefit from a YZ exhaust (a Pro-moto tip does almost the same thing), a stock YZ system (and most OEM MX systems) are very well made and very durable.

More power is always fun but not always faster. Wheelspin in a race is useless. Wheelspin in front of your pals son, priceless.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I dropped a tooth in the rear, run the MT Air4orce (short stack) and have a Yosh RS4 slip-on. It feels like I can pull better in the higher part of the powerband and still is a tractor in the lower-part of the power curve. Not sure what type of riding you do, but I ride/race MX and am really pleased with the results. It's obviously not a total monster but I feel like I'm making better use of the power now.

This is the response (along with a couple others) I was looking for. Feedback on tested exhaust systems. Common knowledge the Stock YZ250F exhaust is restrictive and the bike benifits from the aftermarket. 1-2 HP in the 250F MX class is golden.

The MT airboot with the airbox and carb mods also on the radar. Thanks!

• Like 1

Think of the money you save by not burning a hole in your pants from a powerbomb header. My son has my old bike with the factory 4 pipe. Burnt his pants today moving the hot bike into the trailer. I laughed and said reason number ___ for not spending $900.00 for a system on my 2013. Just don't see any reason. First time I haven't put a pipe on anything in years. The right tire. chain wheel combo and proper jetting can do alot more.

the standard pipe on that bike is awesome! not really worth changing. more power can found in cams or port and polish

the standard pipe on that bike is awesome! not really worth changing. more power can found in cams or port and polish

Well thats just amazing, what other exhaust systems did you test?

William1 has never been keen on adding a pipe as his points are valid. However: there is a difference if you get the right pipe and jet it correctly.

On all 3 of my 250f's there is a noticeable gain vs. OEM pipe. Of course I think i chose wisely on all 3 pipes.

Wasn't a question on whether or not to buy a pipe.. :banghead:

If you've tested an exhaust system on this bike and did or didn't like the performance thats the feedback I'd like to hear.

Concep29: it all depends on what YOU are looking for and what other attributing mods you plan to do. Just putting on a pipe flat out won't do shit. IMO you need a cam, intake porting, and ignition box to really turn one of these bikes into a dragon. My previous bike had all that, I don't really want to go through all that with this bike. You will be hard pressed to see anyone who just "put a pipe" on these bikes or for that matter enough of those people to create an opinion database. Find a local race tuner if you can find one who has tested many pipes and give you input. Anyone here who has put on a pipe/system and had mediocre or nil results probably wont want to admit their expenditure was futile.

Edited by dogfish

First off, big difference in performance between the 2010/2011 and the 2012/2013.....

When looking at pipes, the general conclusion is they are a waste of money. If you have a money tree in your back yard, by all means buy one but if you're on a budget, its probably not the best route. Replace when needed....

Now that being said, I was BSing with a guy at my shop about pipes and he said for the same price as a pipe you could buy a lot of race fuel. 1-3hp gains, cleaner fuel AND when you crash you can't really dent or break it. It just got me thinking thats all.....

And we have been running a Megabomb system on a 2010 YZ250f. The results were less then stellar. We bought it used/new and the price was good, that's about the only reason why. The head pipe dents way to easily.....

Edited by originalmonk

First off, big difference in performance between the 2010/2011 and the 2012/2013.....

It's really not, to be honest. I know quite a few guys with them. Even have a buddy who rides pro that put the 11 carb on his 13. The chassis changes are nice, but the main prob with the 10/11 is it's a bit divey. It's very fixable though. As far as the motor, I still feel like any 10+ runs similar. Even the 12/13 doesn't have the rev up top like a Honda, the still run like a 10/11 YZ. Just my opinion though. And I still think that a pipe and MT Air4orce is a good starting point to get the bike to be a little more useable in the higher revs.

It's really not, to be honest. I know quite a few guys with them. Even have a buddy who rides pro that put the 11 carb on his 13. The chassis changes are nice, but the main prob with the 10/11 is it's a bit divey. It's very fixable though. As far as the motor, I still feel like any 10+ runs similar. Even the 12/13 doesn't have the rev up top like a Honda, the still run like a 10/11 YZ. Just my opinion though. And I still think that a pipe and MT Air4orce is a good starting point to get the bike to be a little more useable in the higher revs.

The carb has very little if anything to do with the bike. It was a new piston in 2012 attributing to the biggest jump in performance over the 2011....that being said, why would your "pro" buddy put a '11 carb in his '13? It makes no sense to me!? But he's a pro so obviously it could mean he's a pro mechanic too....