Sign in to follow this  

odometer ca plated xr400

Im thinking of buying a street legal ca 2004 plated xr400. It has no odometer speedometer. How does this work with transfer of title? Does the DMV not care about mileage on these bikes. My buddy bought one and said dont write any mileage down but that doesnt make since.

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight

dmv still recognizes the bike as a dirt bike even if it has a plate. So when you complete the transfer with the pink slip the mileage line on the pink is N.A. At least this has been my experience. Plus the pink also has a box that the mileage is not accurate that can be checked if required. Hope that helps you out. I've survived 2 st. legal xr transfers with no problems.

I am surprised anyone sells a plated dirt bike in Cali. Unless it sells for at least three times what it would sell for in any other state.

I am surprised anyone sells a plated dirt bike in Cali. Unless it sells for at least three times what it would sell for in any other state.

agreed... my xr400 is for sale... 10K

🙂

ive been checking in CA and plated bikes are double the value of a non plated bike. Id say it adds 1000 to 1500 value

Im thinking of buying a street legal ca 2004 plated xr400. It has no odometer speedometer. How does this work with transfer of title? Does the DMV not care about mileage on these bikes. My buddy bought one and said dont write any mileage down but that doesnt make since.

There are boxes to check on the form to indicate the mileage is incorrect and/or the odometer doesn't function.

I have a 2000 XR400; bought in 2004 CA street legal with Baja kit. Pink slip odometer stated 6 miles. Odometer no longer existed by the time I purchased it. The lady at the DMV counter could not understand how a motorcycle with an odometer reading could no longer have an odometer. She refused to register as street legal and kept pulling out green sticker paperwork. After much diplomatic discussion on my part, and bureaucratic arrogance on her part, I was lucky to have a DMV supervisor overhear our conversation. Turns out he had a street legal dirt bike too and was very sympathetic. He took over (she rolled her eyes at me) and I got the title transferred with a correction on the new pink slip for odometer reading as N/A. So be careful. It depends on who you get at the CA DMV counter. Check the pink slip..if it says N/A, you are good. Not that I'm recommending this, but...a friend of mine bolted on a manual bicycle odometer and cranked it until it read a number higher than the pink slip indicated. The freshly minted bureaucrat in the parking lot checked it off as good.

I went to triple a to register the bike and transfer title. Since its less than 10 years old it must have a odometer. She gave me a form where you state the mileage and list odometer reading as not accurate. I have to fill out this form and then go back in. N/A is not a possibility according to this lady who called the CA state DMV who guided her through this. Your options are list what the odometer reads/ odometer reading not correct/ odometer does not go past 5 digits

I have a plated dirt bike here in new jersey and it was fairly easy to get it plated. My bike never came with an actual odometer, just a trip meter.

For some reason, when I got the bike it had a new york title that said 3240 miles. So on the title transfer I just put down 3240.

I also put that I bought the bike for 1 dollar, so I only had to pay 7 cents in sales tax 😉