Riding area's closing

Two popular local riding areas closing due to noise complaints, 4 stroke noise !!!!

Both complaining parties say they have lived near the riding areas for many years and don't remember it being so loud back in the day, claim it's getting worse every year.

Both cases led to local laws being passed that shut the places down..

I don't care what you ride, Keep the exhaust stock or put a QUIET aftermarket exhaust on.

If you think the extra 1-2 hp from your loud exhaust is making a big difference in your riding, you are right it is, you will have less places to ride and have to drive farther to get to them.

Less sound = more ground.

• Like 3

Were they your local riding area's? I feel sorry for you if they were, i know how hard or simply how frustrating it can be to have to travel to ride,

In saying that, my local riding faculity has never been legal to ride in, however on a sunny dry weekend you will find up to 15 riders tearing it up, allways fun to meet new riders. Going off topic soo

Yes, i have my stock pipe on my yz250 not that it helps a heck of alot, but the riders with the 450 crf's mostly have the exhaust pipes you can stick your fist in. They are loud. People complain occasionally, so they fenced it all off, they could not seriousley think they could keep out passionate riders, we have plenty if ways in, lets face it, if people have resources to build concrete step ups and jumps, they can get in anywhere.

Edited by millak

In any race with mixed 2 and 4 strokes if you get back 200 yards you can not even hear the 2 strokes over the sound of the thumpers. If you deny that you really don't get out and race much.

You are missing the point anyway, keep your damn bike quiet or you will have nowhere to ride 2 or 4 stroke..

• Like 3

4 stroke noise? Like your fn 2 stroke doesnt make noise give me a break

The deep "thump" of a 4 stroke carries much further in distance than 2 stroke noise.

I grew up about 1/2 mile from a trail head, back when 4 strokes were no common (80's and 90's). I remember occasionally hearing the impressive thunder of a big 4 stroke leaving the parking lot and heading off into the distance, typically a XR600, or maybe a heavily modded DR350. Stood out as being much louder than the faint sound of 2 stroke bikes and quads from that distance.

Last year when I was there you could clearly hear the 4 strokes thumping down the trail. Not too many guys on 2 strokes out there, but when you do hear one it's far less obvious of a noise. Not a scientific test, I know.

I will say, from working sound checks at enduro's/harescrambles, there seems to be a lot more LOUD 4 strokes out there than 2 strokes. Only 2 stroke I recall showing up and blowing >100 dB was an old CR125 with a shorty silencer and no packing. Lots of 4 stroke guys over 100 dB on their first attemp, and I've even seen as high as 115 dB on a WR450 with a Supertrap and open end plate.

• Like 2

4 stroke sound waves are lower than a 2 strokes, and carry much, much farther. 100% proven fact. Here at my local track, if you are on a 4 stroke, you are sound tested, and required to pass European standards of 96db, or you don't ride. Euro standards are at max rpm, and not all that easy to meet. North American sound tests are about as useless as tits on a nun

• Like 3

When I am waiting for my friends to show up at local riding spots, the ones on 4 strokes I can hear coming a mile away (YZ250f, RMZ450, Stock exhausts), the ones on 2 strokes I cant even hear until they are a 100 yards away. 2 strokes sound loud just like 4 strokes when your up close, but get a 1/4 mile away or more and you cant even hear 2 strokes, while the 4 stroke still sounds just as loud. The only exception is when a 2 stroke has a shorty exhaust with no packing, but thats just trying to be loud and is shameful.

Two popular local riding areas closing due to noise complaints, 4 stroke noise !!!!

Both complaining parties say they have lived near the riding areas for many years and don't remember it being so loud back in the day, claim it's getting worse every year.

Both cases led to local laws being passed that shut the places down..

I don't care what you ride, Keep the exhaust stock or put a QUIET aftermarket exhaust on.

If you think the extra 1-2 hp from your loud exhaust is making a big difference in your riding, you are right it is, you will have less places to ride and have to drive farther to get to them.

Less sound = more ground.

Which areas were these?

betcha my 4 stroke is louder than yours..... Who cares, the point once again is that a riding area was shut down. I'm willing to bet that it was a lot more than just noise that contributed to the closure.

Maybe, the oil from your two stroke was leaking out and seeping into the watershed below and that in turn made it so the, poisonous to humans, yellow speckled toad could not see the sun at 3 o'clock on Fridays so they were forced to close riding areas so the speckled toad could have his view back.

Thats what im putting my money on.. Now im off to the craps table cause Im a bettin' man!

Edited by maboomboom
  • Like 1

You may love 4t, and i do too. But you are nuts if you think a 2t is as loud. Sure up close a 2t has a barky loud noise...but as others have said...a 4t carries a lot further. Its the same concept as a car with a loud audio system. You hear the thump of the bass long before you hear the higher frequencies. However, i agree either can be nasty loud with crappy im to cheap and lazy to do maintenance packing.

I run a 4.1, however i use a quiet/sparky insert, and i know my buddies stock exhaust '10 yz250f is as loud as my bike.

Maybe, the oil from your two stroke was leaking out and seeping into the watershed below and that in turn made it so the, poisonous to humans, yellow speckled toad could not see the sun at 3 o'clock on Fridays so they were forced to close riding areas so the speckled toad could have his view back.

????

Couldn't have said that better myself.....jk, lol...

But when I was like 14-15, I'd always hear bass, and be like ooooh ahhhhh

By 17, had a 154db set up in my s10, lol. Hell, it didnt matter how far you were from me though....you could sit in the truck and still couldn't hear any words over the bass, LOL. Guess thats what you get when you put in 1 18" sub with 2,000 wrms on it....in a wall, in an extended cab s-10, with a 6.5 cu ft box and 180 sq in port, LOL. Then, dont upgrade the stock speakers or amplify the mid-high at all.

Hey, I did db drag racing....who cares if you can hear the words....I knew rap songs by the bass line only.

dual sports bike's are well worth it, my next bike(after the yz that caused this discussion) will most probably be a WR250, but drz 250's are also quite good bikes, just less common, they are amazing bikes, just a little heavier ?

if you have problems with having to travel, they are for you.