Sign in to follow this  

Someone Convince Me to Buy a KX100!

So I started riding this year on a ttr125l & now I'm getting really good on it & comfortable. But now it's way too slow & I've been wanting a kx100.

So I put my ttr on craigslist for $900 & I got a buyer, but now I'm afraid I'll sell it & get a KX100 & it won't be what I thought it was!

My bf told me it won't have any low end like my ttr & I won't make it up hills like I used to D:

Now I'm just scared to commit.

Someone please convince me I'll live...

Once you get used to it you will be fine. It will be a learning curve but after you have mastered it, you will leave your bf in the dust!

Once you get used to it you will be fine. It will be a learning curve but after you have mastered it, you will leave your bf in the dust!

he rides a cr250r so maybe not 😛 hahaha but i'll be able to keep up better!

+1

Small two strokes are a learning curve. After some seat time you will go anywhere that TTR did and then some.

I rode KX250's since the 90's, just got my first 125 last year and it's a blast. Yeah, it's a little more work but it's also a little more fun.

Edited by Jeekinz

+1

Small two strokes are a learning curve. After some seat time you will go anywhere that TTR did and then some.

I rode KX250's since the 90's, just got my first 125 last year and it's a blast. Yeah, it's a little more work but it's also a little more fun.

why are small 2 strokes a learning curve?

when the power and hits it damn near throws you off. You'll get used to it and will be able to climb every hill way better then you're old TTR

5' 4" daughter started on CRF100F (very similar to TTR125L) and moved to KX100. It is a good move up bike from a beginner air cooled 4 stroke trail bike. You will have to 'attack' hills more aggressively and stay into the throttle, but with the KX100, even though they dont have great low end, you are still starting with a motor that has 3 times the peak horsepower of the TTR125L. And, it has much better suspension and handling that allows you to carry more speed.

We added a flywheel weight from Steahly Offroad and smaller front sprocket and larger rear tio gear it down for trail use and it worked just fine for her. She loved the two stroke and wont go back to four stroke. We moved her to a KDX200 after the KX100.

At your elevation, I think you will do fine on a KX100. Where we ride, above 10K feet, the KX100 would run out of juice on the slow speed rocky stuff.

Take the risk, if you dont like the KX100, its an easy sell and buy another used bike. You can always go back to the aircooled 4 stroke if thats what you like and they are easy to find in great condition and reasonable prices (at least out here in Colorado).

5' 4" daughter started on CRF100F (very similar to TTR125L) and moved to KX100. It is a good move up bike from a beginner air cooled 4 stroke trail bike. You will have to 'attack' hills more aggressively and stay into the throttle, but with the KX100, even though they dont have great low end, you are still starting with a motor that has 3 times the peak horsepower of the TTR125L. And, it has much better suspension and handling that allows you to carry more speed.

We added a flywheel weight from Steahly Offroad and smaller front sprocket and larger rear tio gear it down for trail use and it worked just fine for her. She loved the two stroke and wont go back to four stroke. We moved her to a KDX200 after the KX100.

At your elevation, I think you will do fine on a KX100. Where we ride, above 10K feet, the KX100 would run out of juice on the slow speed rocky stuff.

Take the risk, if you dont like the KX100, its an easy sell and buy another used bike. You can always go back to the aircooled 4 stroke if thats what you like and they are easy to find in great condition and reasonable prices (at least out here in Colorado).

thanks so much!

i'm glad someone was in the same boat as me. I'll keep the sprockets & fly wheel in mind when I get it!

when the power and hits it damn near throws you off. You'll get used to it and will be able to climb every hill way better then you're old TTR

D: damn hahah. just don't throw me off going up a hill when I hit powerband!

the kx100 will beat the ttr125 everywhere. a ttr doesnt have any lowend to begin with so a kx100 will be way better than it. go for it

D: damn hahah. just don't throw me off going up a hill when I hit powerband!

well when you're going up a hill you will more then likely already be wide open (in "powerband ") you won't be going up many (if any) hills without being wide open in a lower(1-3) gear

the kx100 will beat the ttr125 everywhere. a ttr doesnt have any lowend to begin with so a kx100 will be way better than it. go for it

idk bout that haha I was on a tough hill climb & all my friends & I stalled out on it & the ttr was the only bike that made it up that without an issue. the ttr has more torque than the kx ever will.

idk bout that haha I was on a tough hill climb & all my friends & I stalled out on it & the ttr was the only bike that made it up that without an issue. the ttr has more torque than the kx ever will.

no

in no way would the ttr have more tourque than the kx the kx is a race bike the ttr is a play bike. you will be able to climb anyhill you can find on the kx with no problem

edit- the ttr makes like 10 hp the kx 100 makes a little over 20

Edited by 563ripper
  • Like 1

It seems around here the KX100 is the bike of choice for light young women.

And you won't have to invest in that hot pair of high heeled MX boots -- unless you just want them for the clubs afterward.

• Like 1

With 2 strokes it's all about throttle control. You have "instant on" power compared to a 4 stroke with gentle roll-on power. About the "hit" two strokes can have, it's not like a Jack in the Box that will surprise you every time. lol You'll get used to it and use it to your advantage. It will all come naturally w/o thinking about it. Kawasaki owners, while maybe not the best handling bikes at times, love the power the KX's have.

I agree 100% with what everyone stated here. If you found one, hop on it. Like SilvFX said, they are an easy sell.

The KX is probably 30-40lbs lighter so it's alot easier to correct and alot less likely to hurt the kid if it gets going the wrong way. I got one for my son, unfortunately he never got into riding but it's a great bike .

With bar risers, an adult up to about 5'7" could ride it. I also put the Steahly 13oz Fww on it . http://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/3926053386.html

• Like 1