Sign in to follow this  

DR 350 ignition

Hi folks, just joined the site and just bought a 95 DR 350, not S, so no battery. Bike shows very little use and is my first 4 stroke dirt bike. First outing with the DR a few days ago and ran okay but starts to cut in and out in upper mid range. I figured carb needs a good cleaning. Easy to start and runs well until getting up to upper mid range. Bike came with a Tiny Tach but shows varying RPM at idle, 1500, 1700, 900,,,,all over the place, so I guessed the tach was kaput! Talked to a tech at Design Technology that make the Tiny Tach and decide this was the correct application for the DR. BTW, nice folks at D.S. Before I went any further with replacing the Tiny Tach I thought I would try a different tach to see if it would work and give me a good RPM reading at idle. Hooked up a Snap On timing light with tach read out and it also shows erratic RPM readings. The timing light flashes erratically also. So now I am GUESSING that my problem with upper mid range cut out may be ignition problems. Anyone have similar problems before? Thanks, Ron

Seems like a similar problem to what I'm having, my 90 dr250s will not run past half throttle. I'm messing with the carb, but I'm curious if it may be ignition related. I'd like to know if you get it figured out. Thanks