Sign in to follow this  

Washougal questions

My wife has a business trip in Portland the week of the Washougsl national. I have just had a total knee replacement and I am off work for the next several weeks and have also wanted to go see the race at Washougal for years.

As a surprise she bought me tickets for the full weeks activities and is taking me along on her trip. She will go to Saturdays event with me before we head back to Wyoming.

I thought some of you might be able to offer some advice for a limper like me. I will have a handicap tag so I can have better parking (confirmed with the nice people at the track). My question is where would be a good place to set up at. My mobility is limited by crutches, so I would like to know a place with a good vantage point the view the race from.

I am expecting to get my exercise as it seems the track has a lot of elevation changes from what I've seen. I can get around fairly well on my crutches, but need to be able to stay in one place for a while once I get there since I will only be 3 weeks post surgery and fatigue will play a factor.

Any other suggestions for a first timer would be appreciated as well. This is my first National MX and after years on the couch, I can't wait to experience this first hand. Thanks.

My wife has a business trip in Portland the week of the Washougsl national. I have just had a total knee replacement and I am off work for the next several weeks and have also wanted to go see the race at Washougal for years.

As a surprise she bought me tickets for the full weeks activities and is taking me along on her trip. She will go to Saturdays event with me before we head back to Wyoming.

I thought some of you might be able to offer some advice for a limper like me. I will have a handicap tag so I can have better parking (confirmed with the nice people at the track). My question is where would be a good place to set up at. My mobility is limited by crutches, so I would like to know a place with a good vantage point the view the race from.

I am expecting to get my exercise as it seems the track has a lot of elevation changes from what I've seen. I can get around fairly well on my crutches, but need to be able to stay in one place for a while once I get there since I will only be 3 weeks post surgery and fatigue will play a factor.

Any other suggestions for a first timer would be appreciated as well. This is my first National MX and after years on the couch, I can't wait to experience this first hand. Thanks.

The start line is close to where you enter the track, you go around to- your right when you go in. There's plenty to see close to the entrance. When you leave the parking area, head off to the right, that takes you down an access road, and saves a lot of time leaving the track. Have fun, next to Glen Helen it's my favorite track to visit.

Bring a chair as the day is long and your knee is going to be feeling it. Three weeks out your are probably over the inflammatory phase, but that knee is not going to like those hills, heat, and standing. Does the Washougal staff allow coolers to be brought in, I can't remember if they do? You can prop your leg up on the cooler and bring ice with it to aid in any swelling. I commend you for wanting to attend the National, hope that new knee cooperates for you.

I know this sounds funny to some, but have you actually walked on grass with your knee? It offers a nice challenge to a new TKA, be sure you are won't be over-doing it.

Head toward the infield near where the start/finish tower is. It's to the west side of the track where the whoops are, but you'll probably park in the field on the east side. From there, you can see, or hobble over to, plenty of spots, and get to the bottom of Horsepower Hill to watch them going up and coming back down. It's so much steeper in person than on TV. Definitely bring a chair and some shade; there are lots of places to get into the shade, but they are all up on the side of the hill. That's where I'll be 👍

I think they allow small coolers; I had a backpack last year, but they do search everything going in; no big deal. You know, I recall guys with golf carts giving people rides; maybe you can get some help that way too, just getting from your parking to the main gate.

The extended forecast calls for sunny and 80. Enjoy!

Thanks for the responses. I am really looking forward to this, although I wish I was in better physical shape for it. I am definitely going to make the best of it. I hope sunny and 80 holds, that sounds perfect.

Personally, my favorite spot is at the crest of the hill between Horsepower Hill and the Ski Jump but you won't get there on crutches - sorry. The bottom of the same hill has some good spectating but no shade and limited space. If you need shade you might have to go somewhere around the whoops/finish line area - also where some food vendors are set up. You can see bits and pieces of the track from anywhere but if you want to see the majority of the track from one spot - you have to go high.

(It's a lot more fun to ride that track than to watch!)

The area next to the whoops is the handicapped parking. Nice shady spot to start your day from.

The area next to the whoops is the handicapped parking. Nice shady spot to start your day from.

That is excellent news! One of my concerns has been what to do if I need to control some swelling at some point during the day. With that setup I can use my cryocuff right in the car if I need to. Thanks radsdad.

hey mtngoat,the frt. springs are super plush feeling in the cascade mtn trails here in wash. sorry for the hijack

Well I made it here. This is quite a facility. TV definitely does not do this place justice. Horsepower hill is a monster compared to what you see on TV. If any of you find yourself down by the whoops, look for the gimp by the white Caddy with Wyoming plates and say hi.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what time the first moto starts on Sat? Looks like 1:00 from the TV schedule, but they have been known to delay the broadcast a bit...

Personally, my favorite spot is at the crest of the hill between Horsepower Hill and the Ski Jump but you won't get there on crutches - sorry.

I'll never be able to do it Saturday with the crowd, but...............😛

1374253945159.jpg

Does anyone know what time the first moto starts on Sat? Looks like 1:00 from the TV schedule, but they have been known to delay the broadcast a bit...

1:00, though there is a lot to see before then. Practice and Qualifying start early (9 or 10). I wouldn't expect the gate to drop right at 1:00 either.

Cool. I should make it down plenty early. Gotta work late tonight and leaving early tomorrow morning!

I found the schedule:

Washougal National | Weekend Schedule

July 19-20, 2013

SATURDAY, JULY 20

7:00am - 2:00pm

Will Call

7:45am

Mandatory Riders Meeting

8:00am

Chapel Service

8:30am - 8:45am

450 Class Practice Grp B- 15 minutes 5 Free/10 Timed

8:50am - 9:05am

450 Class Practice Grp A- 15 minutes 5 Free/10 Timed

9:10am - 9:25am

250 Class Practice Grp A- 15 minutes 5 Free/10 Timed

9:30am - 9:45am

250 Class Practice Grp B- 15 minutes 5 Free/10 Timed

9:45am - 10:00am

Track Maintenance

10:00am - 10:15am

450 Class Practice Grp B- 15 minutes- Timed

10:20am - 10:35am

450 Class Practice Grp A- 15 minutes- Timed

10:40am - 10:55am

250 Class Practice Grp A- 15 minutes- Timed

11:00am - 11:15am

250 Class Practice Grp B- 15 minutes-Timed

11:20am - 11:40am

Intermission/Track Maintenance

11:40am - 11:55pm

450 Consolation Race

12:00pm - 12:15pm

250 Consolation Race

12:15pm - 1:00pm

Intermission/Track Maintenance

12:40pm - 1:00pm

OPENING CEREMONIES

1:00pm - 1:10pm

450 Class Site Lap

1:11pm - 1:46pm

450 Class Moto #1 - Live on Fuel

1:46pm - 2:00pm

Podium Interviews

2:00pm - 2:10pm

250 Class Site Lap

2:11pm - 2:46pm

250 Class Moto #1 - Live on Fuel

2:46pm - 3:00pm

Podium Interviews

3:00pm - 3:10pm

450 Class Site Lap

3:10pm - 3:45pm

450 Class Moto #2 - Live on NBC Sports

3:45pm - 4:00pm

450 Winners Circle

4:00pm - 4:10pm

250 Class Site Lap

4:10pm - 4:45pm

250 Class Moto #2 - Live on NBC Sports

4:45pm - 5:00pm

250 Winners Circle

5:00pm - 5:30pm

Press Conference

Hmmmmm. You know that stupid cat that always climbs the tree, then can't figure out how to get down............

Yeah.

That was my first thought when you posted the pic. Good job making it up, now what? Perhaps you will have that view on Saturday after all 🙂

Hmmmmm. You know that stupid cat that always climbs the tree, then can't figure out how to get down............

Yeah.

Hey, good on ya for making it up there - good views, no? :ride: Wait for them to cruise the track in the Polaris (or whatever they are using now) and ask for a ride down? Then you could say you went off the ski jump! :cool:

(Wish I was there...)

Edited by firehunter

Been like a kid in a candy store for the last two days, and the best is yet to come.

Its been encouraging to run into other riders out here that are back racing on total knee replacements. I've met several this weekend, so that makes me feel good about being back on the bike again next year.