OURDAYWILLCOME

2013 XR650L NO MIXTURE SCREW

All thats there is a piece of brass with an indentation but no thread to get a screwdriver in it to adjust... i'm afriad to drill out the brass in case theres no mixture screw beneath it.

It should be in the hole with the brass insert.... looks like you have a minor problem - it cannot drop out so go back to the dealer and tell them to sort it

the mixture screw is underneath, this is just like the klr plugged up screw...if your afraid youll loose warranty over this take it back, if you dont care drill in and out quickly and then you have access to screw...

cheers

If i drilled out the brass insert do you think the fuel mixture screw would be underneath? and that the brass fitting is just to keep someone from adjusting the mixture?

yes this is very common on production carb bikes that adhere to epa rules in order to sell...the klr650 is exactly like this too and the daves mods are called the 22c mods for them...you basically do the mixture screw, drill slide, cut slide spring sometimes and sometimes up the main jet...

Sorry - didn't realise that the 2013 carbs were different - but it may harm your warranty if you do any mods.....

Carbs back on and the bike idles and starts with much more ease than before, no bog in the throttle in neutral. Havent taken it out yet because of this damn rain but my fingers are crossed that it runs competently for the time being.

Not sure what the difference is but just looked at the OEM website on TT and this is what I found for the 2013 Carb - https://www.thumpert.../MY68E1900A.gifl Look at item 5, this is exactly the same as the carb on my old 2008 and 2012 model.....

Now more confused than ever....

Edited by reduceus

Not sure what the difference is but just looked at the OEM website on TT and this is what I found for the 2013 Carb - https://www.thumpert.../MY68E1900A.gifl Look at item 5, this is exactly the same as the carb on my old 2008 and 2012 model.....

Now more confused than ever....

you aint kiddin. The indented cone shaped plug was easily drilled out but revealed no mixture screw. I blew out and suck in on the hole and there was no air escaping... a tight seal. I just put the carb back on the bike. Right now i have the smog kit and snorkel removed, uni filter, xrs only exhaust, daves mods with the needle shimmed dubro #4 washer, and jetted 55/160 sea level. The bike starts idles and without a doubt runs better than stock. I may be running a bit rich but i cant for the life of me figure out the mixture screw mystery.

• Like 1

thats just weird...a mixture screw is a really good thing...it makes starting easy, you are able to tune your pilot circuit to eliminate hiccups or bogs or hard starting etc...

weird weird

• Like 1

There was recently a guy on ADVrider that did this with his 2013 and he stated that it was a D-socket screw under the cap. He worked it out with a small screw driver and cut a slot into it.

There was recently a guy on ADVrider that did this with his 2013 and he stated that it was a D-socket screw under the cap. He worked it out with a small screw driver and cut a slot into it.

Thats actually a huge help considering that explains what was beneath the brass plug. I could see something at the bottom but it definitely wasn't slotted for a flathead and i never even thought about such a small socket working. Whats up with that shit honda? This things the famous 650L piggy not a damn scooter.

Wow, I'm doing the exact same thing and this cap is crap. So before I drill mine, were you able to adjust the screw after you drilled yours?

Wow, I'm doing the exact same thing and this cap is crap. So before I drill mine, were you able to adjust the screw after you drilled yours?

I never adjusted the mixture screw because i didn't think there was anything for me to adjust. According to Nic579's post you can adjust it with a D-socket tool but you'd have to find one small and long enough to get in there. Or somehow back it out and cut the slot into it for a flathead screwdriver for easier adjustment.