Sign in to follow this  

Broken master link clip thingie, Why?

By chance, i just now happend to spot this on my bike,

brokenmasterlink_zps65625f55.jpg

brokenmasterlink1_zps18b337bf.jpg

Chain is the original OEM that came on my bike, looks like new, and only has about 4,200+ miles on it, a bit dusty now, but cleans up right away with ease.

1. What would cause this? i ride the bike hard, and its been dropped a few times.

2. What do i do now? Weekend is fast approaching, and i want to ride.

3. I do not know too much about chains and stuff, but seems to me, that this could've been a big NO BUENO, right?

Yea that could have ended VERY badly In a worst case scenario ... Go to your local shop and see of they have one in stock

• Like 1

Yea that could have ended VERY badly In a worst case scenario ... Go to your local shop and see of they have one in stock

Ok, thank you, do i buy just that clip thingie, or the whole master link piece?

is there a right way to put on the new clip? just push it and slide it in?

And i need one for a 520 o-ring chain right?

Sorry, i really know nothing about chains, all ive ever done is clean, and adjust them when needed.

Pickup 2 master links and carry one as a spare.

Clip slides on, start it over the front pin then use pliers to push the open end over the back pin.

• Like 3

Ok, thank you, do i buy just that clip thingie, or the whole master link piece?

is there a right way to put on the new clip? just push it and slide it in?

And i need one for a 520 o-ring chain right?

Sorry, i really know nothing about chains, all ive ever done is clean, and adjust them when needed.

Masterlinks are known to break, but it isn't too common. If that is the factory chain, someone would have had to remove a link and install the masterlink because the chains do not have a masterlink from the factory. I don't think you can only buy the piece that broke, you have to get a whole masterlink. They usually run around $5. They are also usually chain specific so make sure you get a link that is meant for your chain. There is a right and wrong way to put on a masterlink, the clip that goes in the grooved pins that broke on yours should be installed with the solid end going with the chain rotation, so it was installed correctly on your bike. When putting it on, it will come with a grease packet. Cover everything in the grease, slide 2 o-rings that come with it over the posts, insert that through the links, put 2 orings on the opposing side, the solid link then the retaining clip will snap into the pin grooves. I ride with 2 extra masterlinks in my toolbag for this reason 👍

• Like 2

You can buy just the clip. Some Cycle Gears have just the clip for $.99. I've lost two already and one was rtv'd onto the master link. Soon as you put some sideways pressure on the chain those stupid things come flying off. I would have got a riveted link if they had one. I hate the clips.

I ran my bike to Fresno without a clip for 125 miles. I wired the faceplate around the pins and the twists in the wire flew off. Luckily Fresno Cycle Gear had a bag of just clips for $.99.

Edited by Bluelunatic
  • Like 1

Thanks, the chain says RK 520 KZO i figured it was the stock one, cause i got the bike with very low miles, and it looked brand spanking new.

Ill go to my local MX shop today and see if they have 2 master links in stock, ill keep one as a spare.

• Like 1

You can buy just the clip. Some Cycle Gears have just the clip for $.99. I've lost two already and one was rtv'd onto the master link. Soon as you put some sideways pressure on the chain those stupid things come flying off. I would have got a riveted link if they had one. I hate the clips.

I ran my bike to Fresno without a clip for 125 miles. I wired the faceplate around the pins and the twists in the wire flew off. Luckily Fresno Cycle Gear had a bag of just clips for $.99.

Thats good to know, thanks, did not know if you put pressure on it from the side they can break off, ive dropped my bike quite a few times on the trails, im thinking maybe it hit a rock or something.

Yeah that's common, buy a new 520 master link and you'll be set. I had mine break on my chain about a month ago way back in the woods :banghead: I always carry an extra with me.

Also, did you buy the bike new? I ask since you said it's the OEM chain, I think here in Canada all the bikes come with a riveted master link from the factory, maybe not in the U.S?

Edited by Epicsoldier
  • Like 1

I have had good luck by putting silicone on my masterlink .

• Like 1

Yeah that's common, buy a new 520 master link and you'll be set. I had mine break on my chain about a month ago way back in the woods :banghead: I always carry an extra with me.

Also, did you buy the bike new? I ask since you said it's the OEM chain, I think here in Canada all the bikes come with a riveted master link from the factory, maybe not in the U.S?

I bought the bike used, its a 2007, and got it with less then 1000K miles, bought it last year.

I bought the bike used, its a 2007, and got it with less then 1000K miles, bought it last year.

Hey Ron,

do you know for sure what size sprockets you have? Seems funny to have a master link.....they're not stock, something has been done. Wonder if previous owner did a sprocket change, didn't like it, and put it back to whatever it is now. Good idea on getting an extra though........the Real S takes some punishment out there!

• Like 1

Hey Ron,

do you know for sure what size sprockets you have? Seems funny to have a master link.....they're not stock, something has been done. Wonder if previous owner did a sprocket change, didn't like it, and put it back to whatever it is now. Good idea on getting an extra though........the Real S takes some punishment out there!

Front is a 15 for sure ( i know cause i tried a 14 and a 16), and just looked at the rear, it says 44-520, so stock gearing.

He did live (previous owner) right on the beach, where everything rusts, so maybe he put this new RK chain on.

I did not know the stock chains do not have a master link, id like that better for sure.

• Like 1

Rivet links are the only way to go!

My feeling exactly. I had a clip master link come apart on me once at around 40 MPH. I was lucky - it just spit the chain out the back. If it had wrapped around the countershaft or wheel things could have gotten ugly. SInce then I only use rivet master links.

Masterlinks are known to break, but it isn't too common. If that is the factory chain, someone would have had to remove a link and install the masterlink because the chains do not have a masterlink from the factory. I don't think you can only buy the piece that broke, you have to get a whole masterlink. They usually run around $5. They are also usually chain specific so make sure you get a link that is meant for your chain. There is a right and wrong way to put on a masterlink, the clip that goes in the grooved pins that broke on yours should be installed with the solid end going with the chain rotation, so it was installed correctly on your bike. When putting it on, it will come with a grease packet. Cover everything in the grease, slide 2 o-rings that come with it over the posts, insert that through the links, put 2 orings on the opposing side, the solid link then the retaining clip will snap into the pin grooves. I ride with 2 extra masterlinks in my toolbag for this reason 👍

+1

So i went to my local MX spot, they did not have one for a 0-ring, so i got a regular one to just use its clip (clip is the same), was only 4 bucks, but i do not like the way it looks right now after it went on, seems that the open part of the clip, when i pushed it on, it expended to make it over the little groves, but it did not fully go back to being closed like it was, it stayed a bit open, not happy with this at all.

Ill go to cycle gear tomorrow, PLEASE school me on this Rivet links you speak of??

The rivet link is just a link without a clip that slides over it, but you do need a special tool to install it. You will need a tool like this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/995/21457/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Chain-Breaker--Press-and-Riveting-Tool.aspx

and the masterlink is one like this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/969/34202/ITEM/BikeMaster-520-O-Ring-Connecting-Links.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of rivet links myself , I like bein able to remove the chain quickly and easier . I find its a good idea to change your old masterlink with a new one every so often though and inspect the link every other ride for signs of problems .

• Like 1

The rivet link is just a link without a clip that slides over it, but you do need a special tool to install it. You will need a tool like this: http://www.motorcycl...eting-Tool.aspx

and the masterlink is one like this: http://www.motorcycl...WT.ac=SLIsearch

Thanks, so instead of that clip, the tool just flattens out the rods on the ends, so the other piece will not fall out, gotcha.

kinda pricy, but seems like its way better, ill check out what cycle gear has tomorrow.