Sign in to follow this  

1991 Honda XR250L is not charging the battery

I replace the rectifier twice, the stator twice and I'm about to install a used flywheel off ebay. I've done all the necessary test, which I think I did properly. I'm using a Cen-Tech Digital Multimeter. For the DC test on the battery I'm see no increase when runningicon1.png (12.2 volts when runningicon1.png and 12.5 when not running). When I test the rectifier after the stator AC power goes through it (running) I get about 4 to 6 DC Volts. When I test the 3 Pole Stator wires (running) I get about 6 to 10 AC Volts. Now when I'm using the Meter I set it to ACV 200 for the Stator test and DCV 20 for the Battery volts test. I know I should be getting 13.7 to 14.4 DC Volts when I test the battery when running and I should be getting 50 to 80 AC volts from the stator when running. I found a used flywheel on ebay for 22 bucks and I'm about to put it on, but also would like a second opinon what could be the problem. My other Question is could the stator it self be grounded out by something on the bike from making it only put out the little of volts.

you should be getting more than 12 volts from the rectifier, around 14.4 at the red/white.

not sure what the problem is, but i would check the stop/run switch. disconnect the switch and jump the red./white with the black at the mini connector and retest.

I replace the rectifier twice, the stator twice and I'm about to install a used flywheel off ebay. I've done all the necessary test, which I think I did properly. I'm using a Cen-Tech Digital Multimeter. For the DC test on the battery I'm see no increase when runningicon1.png (12.2 volts when runningicon1.png and 12.5 when not running). When I test the rectifier after the stator AC power goes through it (running) I get about 4 to 6 DC Volts. When I test the 3 Pole Stator wires (running) I get about 6 to 10 AC Volts. Now when I'm using the Meter I set it to ACV 200 for the Stator test and DCV 20 for the Battery volts test. I know I should be getting 13.7 to 14.4 DC Volts when I test the battery when running and I should be getting 50 to 80 AC volts from the stator when running. I found a used flywheel on ebay for 22 bucks and I'm about to put it on, but also would like a second opinon what could be the problem. My other Question is could the stator it self be grounded out by something on the bike from making it only put out the little of volts.