Sign in to follow this  

Starting Drill Encouragement

I received some good pointers on this forum about starting my XR400. Well, after sorting this out I wanted to pass along some info that might help others going through this. My bike is all stock - the only thing I have done is change from a 52 pilot jet to a 55. The biggest change of all (and this has been stated a million times by others) is finding top dead center before kicking. I didn't think it would make that much difference but once I got the hang of it, I can start the bike hot or cold within one or two kicks all day long. At first I was a little confused but what I do is slowly kick the starter down until I feel resistance, which is pretty easy to recognize. It might take a quarter kick to get there or it might take a couple kicks to get there but you will find it. Then I pull the manual compression release and continue kicking through about an inch. I release the compression release and let the kicker come back to the top. Then I make sure not to twist the throttle and just kick it normally. Works great hot or cold. Like I said, I didn't discover this but wanted to say that it really works and if you haven't tried it you should. Before mastering this technique, I screwed around with choke settings, pilot jet and fuel screw settings, etc. None of it changed matters all that much compared to kicking from top dead center. Thanks to everyone for the help - loving my bike again.

I received some good pointers on this forum about starting my XR400. Well, after sorting this out I wanted to pass along some info that might help others going through this. My bike is all stock - the only thing I have done is change from a 52 pilot jet to a 55. The biggest change of all (and this has been stated a million times by others) is finding top dead center before kicking. I didn't think it would make that much difference but once I got the hang of it, I can start the bike hot or cold within one or two kicks all day long. At first I was a little confused but what I do is slowly kick the starter down until I feel resistance, which is pretty easy to recognize. It might take a quarter kick to get there or it might take a couple kicks to get there but you will find it. Then I pull the manual compression release and continue kicking through about an inch. I release the compression release and let the kicker come back to the top. Then I make sure not to twist the throttle and just kick it normally. Works great hot or cold. Like I said, I didn't discover this but wanted to say that it really works and if you haven't tried it you should. Before mastering this technique, I screwed around with choke settings, pilot jet and fuel screw settings, etc. None of it changed matters all that much compared to kicking from top dead center. Thanks to everyone for the help - loving my bike again.

👍