Sign in to follow this  

Table top, 1/2 bike length short?

Working up to clearing a medium length table top (40-50ft) It's a pretty tall one maybe 15 feet. I am landing maybe a couple bike lengths short so far. Pretty hard landing. I have been jumping off from the top of the landing. So if I go a little harder and land with front wheel clearing but back wheel on top, whats the technique to survive it? My guess is gas it to keep front wheel up and not cartwheel down the landing face? Does that sound right?

Try to get the front end down so your front wheel lands first. Hopefully your back wheel will clear it then

Instead of going a little harder to clear the front, why not go a little more than a little harder and clear it properly?

Like to know this kinda stuff too. Got a jump at a very good track I practice ride a bit (they offer a lot of practice days compared to other tracks, and its lot closer then most). But there is a semi-double there...more of a tabletop with a take off, but a rounded landing where when I come up short (like 3/4 of the way) and its painful cuz I am on the up slope of the landing. Plan to make it Sunday when i ride there this weekend, but, I am nervous of the same stuff as the OP about coming up short and doing an over the bar on the rebound.

Speed is definitely not the issue, i usually slow down to float it mid-3rd on a 250f.....and come up short as above....and it sucks to short this jump...feel bad for my bike (suspension mainly) lol....just needa grab my balls, make sure they are there, and just hit the mfer....not even that big, probably similar (50ft).

Edited by J_WR2fitty

It takes time to get the timing down on jumps. I remember when lakewood after the mxon had all the big jumps put in place and it freaked a lot of us locals out! I mean there is a 110' triple out of a maybe 50ft run what shoots you 30 feet plus in the air. I have to say it sucked at first trying to figure it out but after a while of learning how fast to go you just get use to it. practice, practice, practice/ Thats all you can really do. Get the seat time and the skill. I have to say after jumping all these 100' plus jumps I dont get scared to jump those! Be patient and youll figure it out.

Thanks for the replies (Runnybunny, maybe not so much). I am 55 and just back into riding so I don't "just go for it". I work up to clearing jumps. On this particular jump I know I need more corner speed in the turn prior to the jump. Just wanted some feed back on a specific landing,,front wheel clearing and back wheel not. I have the ability to control the bikes attitude in the air. Man! These new bikes are dope. I have a 2006 KTM sx-f 250.

(I guess it's not that new). The last bike I had prior was a 1984 Honda CR 480. I though that bike was sweet till I rode the modern bikes. Amazing.

If you have your suspension set up right your shock will absorb it fine on most all practice tracks. The right spring rate and slow enough rebound will save you. Most of the time when I am not clearing a jump I notice I am letting off early or I am a gear too high. We have this small double right after a corner. If I hit it in 3rd I need to take the outside of the corner and really get on it or fan the hell out of my clutch. If I am in 2nd the jump is easy even from the inside. The bike is lugging to low in 3rd and second I can just roll on the throttle no clutch needed.

If you have your suspension set up right your shock will absorb it fine on most all practice tracks. The right spring rate and slow enough rebound will save you. Most of the time when I am not clearing a jump I notice I am letting off early or I am a gear too high. We have this small double right after a corner. If I hit it in 3rd I need to take the outside of the corner and really get on it or fan the hell out of my clutch. If I am in 2nd the jump is easy even from the inside. The bike is lugging to low in 3rd and second I can just roll on the throttle no clutch needed.

Thanks motojunkiedan,

That's what I was looking for. Would a quick shot of throttle be in order? Or just let the front drop down the face of the landing ramp?

Thanks motojunkiedan,

That's what I was looking for. Would a quick shot of throttle be in order? Or just let the front drop down the face of the landing ramp?

any time you land off a jump unless right in a corner you should be on the gas. It puts tension on the chain and helps you suspension. It also changes the impact angle as soon as the rear tire hits to a forward angle insead of downward. Hope that makes sense. I actually start to give it some gas before it touch down so the engine is wound up a little already.

any time you land off a jump unless right in a corner you should be on the gas. It puts tension on the chain and helps you suspension. It also changes the impact angle as soon as the rear tire hits to a forward angle insead of downward. Hope that makes sense. I actually start to give it some gas before it touch down so the engine is wound up a little already.

Thanks again. That is what I was thinking and your validation helps a lot. That is how I will work this jump. Hope the 1/2 on 1/2 off scenario doesn't even come into play.

Thanks again. That is what I was thinking and your validation helps a lot. That is how I will work this jump. Hope the 1/2 on 1/2 off scenario doesn't even come into play.

Let us know how it worked out for you because I was having the same problem on this big table top right after a corner so I can try what you did next time I'm out there

If you're coming up half a bike short, you definitely want to be front wheel low, and don't get too crazy with the throttle. If your back wheel clips a landing when you're on the gas it will kick up harder than if you are dragging the rear brake. Clipping the landing with your front wheel will help balance the bike when the back tire comes down, because both ends rebound instead of just the back tire trying to catapult you.

runny bunny made it sound too simple, but you really are better off over jumping it slightly than coming up 3 feet short. When you OJ, it will be a single impact that throttle and legs can help absorb, and then you will ride it out. If you come up short, you leave it more to chance in terms of catching a bad hop off the landing and getting a swap-highside at the bottom.

If you're coming up half a bike short, you definitely want to be front wheel low, and don't get too crazy with the throttle. If your back wheel clips a landing when you're on the gas it will kick up harder than if you are dragging the rear brake. Clipping the landing with your front wheel will help balance the bike when the back tire comes down, because both ends rebound instead of just the back tire trying to catapult you.

runny bunny made it sound too simple, but you really are better off over jumping it slightly than coming up 3 feet short. When you OJ, it will be a single impact that throttle and legs can help absorb, and then you will ride it out. If you come up short, you leave it more to chance in terms of catching a bad hop off the landing and getting a swap-highside at the bottom.

Thanks. I know what to do if I come up short or OJ. It's that 1/2 way on-off I wasn't sure about. I think a pretty level bike attitude with a squirt of gas to keep it level should do the trick. I was concerned the front end might dive and rear kick up. I have only had this bike out once on the track but it jumps great. Perfect level and never kicks out sideways. Once I get the full length jump down I'll drop the front to land at same angle as landing ramp.

Sorry I might have gotten off track a bit in the last post.

The point I was trying to make, is that if you are half a bike length short, it is even more important to be front-end-low and gentle on the throttle.

The reason you get kicked over the bars is when your rear tire clips and rebounds, while your front tire clears and rolls down the landing. Also, if the landing has a lip on it at all, the rear will kick higher if you are on the gas - It actually kicks less if you're on the brake a bit, but it's hard not to stall it and then swap so I just try to fight the temptation to pin it on the landing, and it will soak it up fairly well.

Think of it like coming through braking bumps: the rebound of the forks keeps the nose up, and dragging the brake helps keep the rear settled. If you give it too much power it will kick up on you, and if you don't clip the front tire, it will keep falling away from you after the rear hits.

thats exactly what was happening to me, i would land like half a bike length short on the rear tire and the rebound would catapult the hell out of me and i would almost go over the bars (still dont know how i didnt lol). it scared the shit outta me so i started landing shorter instead. after a while once i got my confidence up again, i started landing about half a bike length short again but this time i wouldnt land on the gas and it would feel a whole lot smoother.

thats exactly what was happening to me, i would land like half a bike length short on the rear tire and the rebound would catapult the hell out of me and i would almost go over the bars (still dont know how i didnt lol). it scared the shit outta me so i started landing shorter instead. after a while once i got my confidence up again, i started landing about half a bike length short again but this time i wouldnt land on the gas and it would feel a whole lot smoother.

Wow, I was thinking wrong. I guess if the situation comes up I won't pin it but light throttle would be best? I do think just clearing the *$^*% thing would be best. My riding bud walked the "Table" and came up with 60 feet.

Wow, I was thinking wrong. I guess if the situation comes up I won't pin it but light throttle would be best? I do think just clearing the *$^*% thing would be best. My riding bud walked the "Table" and came up with 60 feet.

Yea light throttle would be better than pinning it but over shooting is definitely the best bet. I just don't have the luxury of doing it because its a long table top coming out of a corner so that's not happening until I work on my cornering

Working up to clearing a medium length table top (40-50ft) It's a pretty tall one maybe 15 feet. I am landing maybe a couple bike lengths short so far. Pretty hard landing. I have been jumping off from the top of the landing. So if I go a little harder and land with front wheel clearing but back wheel on top, whats the technique to survive it? My guess is gas it to keep front wheel up and not cartwheel down the landing face? Does that sound right?

I've had this problem and the easiest way I've found to clear it is practice the corner or straight away before it and/or before the jump, shift up and get more speed right off the face of the jump. Push right up to the edge (not too hard, just standing, gripping the bike, in control, accelerating). This is how I clear a big jump. Don't just coast right to the edge keeping the same speed once you get near the the incline.

For landing short or not, In the air, I look for where I am doing to land, see if its short or to the landing. At that point I am set up for for the right length and landing. If I'm on course for the landing, I don't do a thing. If I'm coming up short, I give it some gas, lean back and the front comes up making the landing a little easier to take.

Yea light throttle would be better than pinning it but over shooting is definitely the best bet. I just don't have the luxury of doing it because its a long table top coming out of a corner so that's not happening until I work on my cornering

There are a lot of situations that I can not account for sight unseen. Sometimes you can shift down one gear and clear the jump better. There are a lot of variables that this may or may not work. One jump at the local track here I can clear in 3rd but it is easier in 2nd. The jump is really close to the corn so it works. Just a thought I am not saying it will work on the track you are riding but maybe.

The last bike I had prior was a 1984 Honda CR 480. I though that bike was sweet till I rode the modern bikes. Amazing.

Man, did you miss a lot of great upgrades over the years. When I went from drum brakes to disc brakes I thought I'd gone to heaven. Then, when the 2T's added a power valve making the power band less pipey and far more usable I thought it can't get any better. Along came the 4T's making riding much easier. along the way, Suspension got better and better and then the twin chamber forks came out and replaced the old open chamber forks and it was better still.

I can see how you'd be marveling at these new bikes vs the old CR480.