Sign in to follow this  

Which handlebar bend for 1981 YZ 250 ?

As the title state's,which would be the best bend for a 1981 YZ 250 ? and I'm hoping to stick with Protaper if that is possible.

Best for what? Best for you and best for me are probably not the same thing. You can go to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com look up what you want and click the sizing chart to get the dimensions. If you want close to what you have, just measure it up and see what's closest and where it will be different.

Best for what? Best for you and best for me are probably not the same thing. You can go to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com look up what you want and click the sizing chart to get the dimensions. If you want close to what you have, just measure it up and see what's closest and where it will be different.

I don't have the bike yet so I cant take any measurement's.I'm pre-ordering part's and try'ing to find out which bend is as close to stock as possible.Thank's.

If you look at the fly handlebars, their sizes are called out by brand, the YZ or "Yamaha Bend" is probably closest. So you could compare that to what they have on the bars you want. Best of course would be if someone could measure up theirs. Actually, see if I can post the chart here:

FlyRacing_bar_measurements.gif

Gahh, the image of the bars works, but the size chart gets scrambled up. here it is as a link:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1402/MNGR_POP/SIZE-CHART.ASPX

You might try to search the web for specs or ebay for some OEM for sale with dimensions. I've seen both for XTs posted on XT500.co so they may exist. I've got link to a bunch of yammy documentation I'll try to find and PM to you.

• Like 1

I just searched XT500.co and found the thread I was thinking of, and the drawigns all came from e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Thumper-XT500-1977-79-1T2-Type-Handlebars-XT-500-QZ22563-/310405158033?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item484596d491

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XT500-1980-81-RESTORATION-QUALITY-HANDLE-BARS-QZ22375RP-/221184178775?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AXT500&hash=item337f9aba57&vxp=mtr

So maybe you can find the same for your bike. Maybe search the Vintage Spoke store (2nd link) and see what they have or contact them or hit their website. Everything to be taken with a grain of salt when they are selling, so I think it's best of a goody will go out and measure theirs for you.

• Like 1

Hey Alan, I'm a bit rusty on PMs here, so I'm not sure if you got it, but sent one yesterday. Nothing wrong with the site software, in fact it pretty advanced I think, just different than my other hangouts and I'm almost always on a junky old netbook. Netbook is in the kitchen, where I thrive, beer, food, TV and a bathroom around the corner!

• Like 1

I received your PM yesterday and sent a PM back to you.I've been having a bit of trouble with incoming and outgoing.I appreciate the link and I thrive in about the same area you do and I thrived a little bit too much in the booze area last night. :cheers: Thank's for all your help,much appreciated.

haha I did that Friday night, then had to get up at 6:30 and pick up my wife at work, take her shopping, then went to my mom's and worked out in the heat until almost 10:00. I'm about your age, and a 6 pack wrecks me now as bad as a case did 25 short years ago, which I knocked back fairly regularly back then. That's what I had Fri, 6. It about killed me!

1 or 2 puts me to sleep

3 or 4 make me want more

5 or 6 I feel like shit

Poet?

You don't have to be smart if you have a lot of links bookmarked. If you need something else, just holler, I probably have a link somewhere.

Edited by knudsen
  • Like 1

^^^That's a good one !!!🤣 Thank's,Miller Light just came out my nose ! SERIOUSLY. You definitely have POET POTENTIAL. 😉

We're running renthal vintage/desert bend on all our vintage bikes. I really like those bars and its nice being able to go from bike to bike with the same controls

• Like 1

We're running renthal vintage/desert bend on all our vintage bikes. I really like those bars and its nice being able to go from bike to bike with the same controls

I'll look into the Renthal v/d bend.Thank's.

vintage bikes had a lot of rearward sweep to the stock bars. Do you want a vintage or modern feel?

Probably a more modern feel.I did pick up Protaper's CR high for 55.00 shipped off of ebay,so I'll see how they do and if they don't work I can alway's use them on my 05 YZ 125.Hopefully I will get the the 81 model in a few week's and get a feel for it.Thank's ickfinger.

Is it sacrilegious to put oversize bars on a 81 YZ250? I don't care......I just want a bar that is similar in bend and height to the bars on my other bikes. These were a fairly tall, straight bend.....Windham bend maybe?

Is the 86 CR250 on the back burner?

SANY0022_zps64004c04.jpg

Is it sacrilegious to put oversize bars on a 81 YZ250? I don't care......I just want a bar that is similar in bend and height to the bars on my other bikes. These were a fairly tall, straight bend.....Windham bend maybe?

Is the 86 CR250 on the back burner?

SANY0022_zps64004c04.jpg

By no mean's at all,and that has certainly crossed my mind to go with the bigger bar's.That's a great looking set-up by the way.I gotta ask,,,,what type of footpeg's are you running ? I think my feet would definately appreciate them. As far as the 86 CR, I will say she is somewhat on the back-burner,but not for long,I'm starting to warm back up to her a bit.

I bought a new set of pegs, pins and springs for a current YZ450f.....price is fairly cheap. Had to grind on them a little to make them fit, but no biggie. Also used a 490 top clamp.....has rubber mounts and doesn't put the bar clamps in your lap so much.

'81 YZ125 was my first "real" dirtbike, so I thought this $150 YZ would be a good project. I didn't bother cleaning it or even try to start it....I'm just picking away at it as I find parts.

Post pics of your bike when you get it. 👍

SANY0024_zps5539a676.jpg

SANY0023_zps6cf0a02c.jpg

SANY0027_zpsb9493aba.jpg

• Like 1