offsetting the wheels question

Right, I hait fit though by machining up new wheel spacersvthat offset thin the psst, but froht wheel by 8mm toe ait up and it will fit if I knock up a new plate (no probs), issue with the brakes... twice now during 'spirited' road riding I have had to anchor up in a hurry and the standard brakes are a bit lame so I want to upgrade a bit. I happen to have a nice brembo 4 pot caliper sitting around doing nothing and I want to fit this with braided hoses and new pads.

I have offered it up and I can make it fit with a new plate, no probs, but it fouls the spokes as it is a lot wider than that standard pissy little nissin 2 pot.

I can make it fit by machining new wheel spacers to offset the front wheel 8mm to the right then spacing the disc away from the hub.

The machining aint a problem, I have machined up plenty of wheel spacers in the past, but I was wondering if it will matter if I offset the front wheel by 8mm from the back? Obviously the wheels will still run parallel, but wil 8mm offset make any difference?

I'm tempted to say give it a try and see how the bike feels, but if you had an accident because of it, I'd feel like sh1t.

Potentially it might unbalance the bike turning left to right, and right to left. The extra breaking force may not be worth unbalancing the bike.

How about starting off with braided lines on the stock calipers, and then if it is still not enough then add the 4pot caliper

• Like 1

I think it would definately screw the handeling up. It would also make the turning feel unbalanced, it would turn easier one way and harder the other. Basically it would favor turning one direction and the other direction would require more effort than it did before.

You never know till you try, but I think in the end you would be going back to proper wheel alignment.

• Like 1

I think it would definately screw the handeling up. It would also make the turning feel unbalanced, it would turn easier one way and harder the other. Basically it would favor turning one direction and the other direction would require more effort than it did before.

You never know till you try, but I think in the end you would be going back to proper wheel alignment.

Hey, it might work on a NASCAR track.

• Like 2

Yup, reckon I might give it a.go, I dont reckon 8mm will make any difference to the handling really. When you think about it, the back tyre is wider than the front anyway, so when the bike is leaned over going round a corner the contact point on the road is offset a certain ammount depending on the width ratio between the front and the back. Sure, it MIGHT make it easier to turn left than right, but I dount it. Im gonna do a bit of research 1st though. I remember once ofsetting a rear tyre by about 10mm on a streetfighter to fit a wider wheel and allow for the chair run, and that seemed to handle ok.

• Like 1

i noticed recently on supermotojunkie forum that people sometimes have to shave the back of Brembos.

i wonder whether some Nissin calipers are not so wide. Sometimes difficult to get ebay sellers to measure.

• Like 1

Yea im sure theres room to shave a little off. You wouldnt push the piston out the side, just rupture a hole in it from hydraulic pressure, either way the caliper would be garbage thou haha.

Yes when you lean from side to side your contact is offset, this actually helps the handeling. But when you push one wheel off center, then your offset is no longer the same on each side. The bike will turn easier to one side and not the other, it may even track funny. All you can do is try thou, and see if it is acceptable to you.

Does the M version of the bike come with different front brakes? If it comes with a bigger disc and different caliper, that would be the way to go, IMO, it would easy to fit. Also the stock brakes on the L arent even 2 pot, they are single pot!!!! My GSXR has dual 4 pot calipers on the front and a 2 pot on the rear, that thing would probably do 150-0 in the time the CRFL can do 60-0 hahahaha! I didnt even know they made single pot calipers for bikes in this day and age lol.

Right, ordered my new braided hoses today, gonna try to find a supermoto version in the dealers so I can measure the disc. As the disc is larger the caliper would sit further away from the hub, nearer the rim where the spokes might give it a little more room.