Sign in to follow this  

How many chain links?

I am thinking about re-gearing my bike from the previous owners preferred 13/45, and going to 14/50, maybe 14/52 to get a little more pep for the trails. I ride a 2000 KTM 380 MXC, so it isn't like it is having troubles pulling the gears, it just seems to long in each gear. I can't tell you for sure, but it feels like I am going 20-25 mph before I need to shift into second gear. Any way...I had been looking at replacing the chain at the same time, but I am not sure how many links I will need. When I clicked on the X-ring chain at Rocky Mountain MC it came up with multiple different lengths. I know that I could just order the longest one and break a few links off, and use them as spares, but I don't think I would need more than a few spare links, and the obvious spare master link. Is there a good rule of thumb or a formula to get the correct number and still have the right sag?

Edited by trailrydr9

I put 14/52 on my excr and iirc I had to buy a 120 link chain and took out two links. Also had to futz and remount the chain guide so it would line up.

Thanks for the reply. Went riding for the weekend, can't wait to get the gearing right. Sorry this got put into the four stroke section, I had it in general, and it got moved to here. New sprocket and chain is on order, when I entered my bike in with the sprocket combo it recommended 118 links also, (this was the only choice in the drop down menu for size).

I had to go to a shop for the chain, after my new sprockets arrived it was too short.

I wasn't sure I yours would be the same, at least it worked out. You're putting that on a 2t?