Sign in to follow this  

Removing Powder Coat

Whats the easiest way to do it yourself? I've tried googling it but most websites just say to get it walnut shell blasted and I don't really want to have to do that. Is there any other good way to?

Try maybe a gas pressure washer with the different pressurized tips and try the "jet" spray tip. That may work

Try maybe a gas pressure washer with the different pressurized tips and try the "jet" spray tip. That may work

Yeah, but wont spraying my case halves with water get it all rusty?

Edited by GrantLSummers

Water wont do it. Neither will walnut shells. We used steel bead shot and blasted it....

Is there any chemicals that would work?

Yeah, I've been using sandpaper and wire brush so far. Talk about time consuming

If the wire brush is working well, get a wire wheel for a drill, maybe even a knotted one. But be careful, wire wheels love to take your skin off :devil:

• Like 1

If the wire brush is working well, get a wire wheel for a drill, maybe even a knotted one. But be careful, wire wheels love to take your skin off :devil:

At first I was like that sounds great! But then I read the last part and I think I'm gonna have to pass on that

It is pretty hard to strip but some stuff called aircraft stripper which you should be able to find at most parts stores will make it easier. You need to soak it in it though so how big of a piece are you trying to strip? and it wont take it off but just make it softer and easier to get off. you should think if it will be worth the time and effort to strip the part or if you should just replace it, Ebay has some pretty sweet deals sometimes, even on big stuff like frames.

It is pretty hard to strip but some stuff called aircraft stripper which you should be able to find at most parts stores will make it easier. You need to soak it in it though so how big of a piece are you trying to strip? and it wont take it off but just make it softer and easier to get off. you should think if it will be worth the time and effort to strip the part or if you should just replace it, Ebay has some pretty sweet deals sometimes, even on big stuff like frames.

I had to split my case to replace a bent shift fork and I figured I'd repaint it before I put it all back togeather. I ordered a bottle of the aircraft stripper

wire wheel on a angle grinder and a die grinder with sanding bits

I have a die grinder actually I should've thought of that sooner

I would just use a grinder with a wire wheel works great and probably one of the quickest solutions.

I would just use a grinder with a wire wheel works great and probably one of the quickest solutions.

I ended up using the wire wheel took it right off

Spray remover product,let it sit for a half hour and then sand blast..