Sign in to follow this  

Best time 4 buying dirtbike?

Hi thumpertalkers, im in need for advice . I just sold my bike and im wondering if theres any advice you can give on getting a real clean bike at a great price , should i wait till christmas season?? Im in southern california . And in the market for an 07 wr 250 or 450

Well done on selling your old bike.

In my part of socal, newer WRs are typically red sticker bikes which are not ridden very often during summer time. I'd suggest buying any red sticker during this summer 'low season'. I'd always advocate riding now/buying now rather than looking for an excuse to not go riding.

For the colder wetter parts of the country (& NorCal?), the buying season is most likely reverse, I'd imagine.

I've never noticed much of a difference around here. Of course I'm about as far away from cali as you can get so it might be different. Its more about finding the right seller at the right time. If someone loses their job they might put a bike worth $3500 on craigslist for $3000 and you could get them down to $2750. Or on the opposite end you might find a bike you really like but the seller isn't in a hurry to sell it so he will not budge on the price. Just be patient but keep looking. The best buy I've ever made was on my '09 drz400s. The owner was an older man with a completely stock bike and next to no miles. That's the kind of things you want to look for. Its not always the case but most of the time physical condition can tell you a lot about the mechanical condition. Don't get that twisted though. I'm sure there are plenty of 1 and 2 year old MX bikes that look great but have some major issues.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan
  • Like 1

A lot of people say sell in spring and buy in the fall but around here (PA) there's no difference really. Just gotta find a good deal and have the cash ready to hand over.

find someone desperate on craigslist. I had to sell a bike dirt cheap(no pun) because I lost my job.

Well done on selling your old bike.

In my part of socal, newer WRs are typically red sticker bikes which are not ridden very often during summer time. I'd suggest buying any red sticker during this summer 'low season'. I'd always advocate riding now/buying now rather than looking for an excuse to not go riding.

For the colder wetter parts of the country (& NorCal?), the buying season is most likely reverse, I'd imagine.

my wife's 2011 wr is green sticker. Are the 450's red sticker. To the op you will likely save a small amount of money before Christmas. I don't think it is enough to justify waiting. I would take your time and find a clean bike for a good price. When I buy used bikes I always wait for a good deal. Sometimes it takes months for me to find the right used bike. I only buy if the price is good and the bike is great. Edited by motojunkiedan
  • Like 1

my wife's 2011 wr is green sticker. Are the 450's red sticker. To the op you will likely save a small amount of money before Christmas. I don't think it is enough to justify waiting. I would take your time and find a clean bike for a good price. When I buy used bikes I always wait for a good deal. Sometimes it takes months for me to find the right used bike. I only buy if the price is good and the bike is great.

yeah thanks ! im seeing a bike tuesday! i hope the seller still has it by then. the moment i saw it , it just clicked and i said thats the bike