Sign in to follow this  

High Engine RMP without Wheelspin/Acceleration

Hey Guys,

I don't know if this goes here but here it is anyway. I ride a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250 and was at the track the other day when I noticed I didn't have any acceleration. I had a friend ride it and he said that it might be the clutch not gripping properly. So I pulled the clutch when I got home. The friction plates and steel plates were within spec (though on the lower side of it). I checked the free play of both my clutch basket and clutch hub. The basket is fine but my hub rotates about 130 degrees before it meets resistance. So now I don't know what is wrong. Any insight would be most helpful!

Thanks!

Andrew

hmmm....not sure about the rotation of the inner hub before resistance. Is it in gear with the rear wheel secured at this point?

FYI even if the clutch is "good" or within tolerance then she can still slip. Oil used would be my first pint of call. Make sure your running a wet clutch friendly lube.

Second check the front pressure plate, clutch pack and back of the basket for any discoloration (blue black)....signs of excessive over heating. While your at it make sure all the plates are flat and haven't warped.

Then pressure placed on the pack would be my third. Have the springs lost their tension (google how to measure spring tension)? You can also place shims underneath the springs to add a little extra pressure but your better off just getting some new or better yet stiffer springs (EBC, pro-circuit, barnett etc). I found the standard springs to be woefully inadequate and immediately replaced for 30% stiffer units...then a month later added extra shims once bedded in. It'll make the lever slightly harder to operate but nothing too bad at all