Sign in to follow this  

Engine Rebuild Update: Cylinder Head Damage Pics

I recently posted about running my DRZ dry on oil and blowing the cylinder head. Many of you were asking about whether that was the extent of the damage. Well here are the photos for you to take a look. You'll see the intake cam ran dry and got hot enough to shred some of the metal. You'll see some burning around where the cam chain spins as well.

My mech assured me that he honed the cylinder and checked the bottom end and that everything else is good to go. The only other damage that happened was that the crankshaft shaft hole plug that you remove to set the timing was melted in place so I needed to replace that as well.

TIME TO REBUILD! Photos of the rebuild are coming soon, along with a fresh set of sexy new parts including my MRD SSW exhaust, newly rejetted carb, I'll be cutting out the 3x3 airbox, sanding and polishing my plastics for repainting, new tail light, X2 headlight, turn signals, acerbis hand guards, etc etc. Can't wait to get it all back together and rolling under power!

20130712_155525_HDR.jpg

20130712_155538_HDR.jpg

20130712_155553_HDR.jpg

20130712_155620_HDR.jpg

20130712_155638_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

it'll buff out

hope the rebuild goes okay

I got a complete used cylinder head assembly from ebay for $600 off of a 400e. It is in great condition and I've got the engine all back together! Just got the engine back into the frame this afternoon

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. But at the same time I have no one to blame but myself for this mishap. Doing most of the work myself is where I'm saving all my money. The bike will be better than before now and I've learned an incredible amount about my bike in the process so it's all good

Eddie charged me $400 for a new head when I had the engine rebuilt in March.

Did that include new cams valves chain caps and gaskets?

Did that include new cams valves chain caps and gaskets?

Nope, just a used head. He went through two heads for me. Apparently he found a problem with the first one he worked on. I paid for all the parts as I upgraded the whole engine, except the crank.

Having a professional build your head is a certainty

Buying used heads off E Bay is a risk

I had a pro rebuild my head then I reinstalled the rebuilt engine myself. I inspected the head and it was in totally mint condition and my mechanic assured me the same