Sign in to follow this  

3x3 mod help

So I've got everything done. However I can't get the frame to desperate like in a video tutorial I saw. I've removed the bolt and tried to pull back and it moves maybe 1/4 inch.

I really need that room to put the carb back in. Really frustrating lol.

Any advice?

I think you might be talking about getting your carburetor out - not the 3x3 mod itself. You might want to clarify that. I got my carb out without undoing the frame bolts for the extra space - just keep on working at working those rubber gaskets and it'll wiggle out. Don't give up!

I got it out alright. Its going back in that sucks. I've already scratched my frame trying to get it back in lol

If the carbs coming out I always undo the top bolt to the sub frame and loosen the ones on the side. 1/4-1/2" is about all you will get but I'll take anything with that tight configuration. After you do it a half a dozen times its not bad at all but as far as carbs in bikes goes its pretty bad. Not even exaggerating I could take the carb out and put it back in 3 times on my rm125 before I could do it once on the drz.

I think these bikes were not designed with ease of maintenance in mind . They must have been preassembled in pieces and then bolted together . I cannot get to quite a few places with my big pan handle hands , so I end up having to almost strip the bike to do things on it . I have had the original BSR out of my bike a few times and the FCR only twice . The BSR seemed to be harder to take out and reinstall for me , maybe it was an experience thing . But once I had worked out a way of doing it , it became much easier . As stated by foes_mono you dont have to seperate the frame , I found if you focused on putting the bellmouth of the carb into the airbox and pushed it back into the box , then you could get clearance to bring the front of the carb around to go into the intake boot . Another trick people use is making sure the boot from the airbox is back as far as possible when installing , you can push it back with one hand while using the other to get the carb in the space , then use both hands to align the boots . Good luck with it , I know its a pain , but it does get easier the more you do it , greg

I really don't understand why people have problems fitting a carb back on. Even the FCR carb. I find it MUCH EASIER to get the engine side in first. You can man handle the rear boot back and tuck it behind the frame or clamp it back. Once the front is on, the boot is the easiest part to put back in place on the stock carb. For the FCR I took a WD-40 laden towel and wiped the inside lip of the rear boot to help ease it on. If you really need more space loosen up the bolts that hold the air box on and pull the rectifier out of the way and pull the coolant overflow out.

In addition to pulling back the subframe, I found it easier to reinstall by loosening all the clamps (head end and airbox end) giving you some more flexibility!

If you're having trouble with the carb boots, let the bike sit in the sun for a while or heat them up with a hair dryer, that'll make them so much more flexible and easier to work on.

Edited by Paul_
  • Like 1

with .needle nose plyers pull the tab on the boot from the air box on the left side of the bike. That's how I go mine in.

I think you might be talking about getting your carburetor out - not the 3x3 mod itself. You might want to clarify that. I got my carb out without undoing the frame bolts for the extra space - just keep on working at working those rubber gaskets and it'll wiggle out. Don't give up!

+1

It's a pain but it will come

Edited by tylerslj

I really don't understand why people have problems fitting a carb back on.

Its because we are not as badass as you are.

If the carbs coming out I always undo the top bolt to the sub frame and loosen the ones on the side.

+ remove the bolts fixing exhaust to tail and footpegs. in a few seconds you get much more space and everything becomes easy

Thanks for all the replies guys. I got it back in after loosening the bottom sub frame bolts. Too bad I already scratched my nice pretty black frame.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys. I got it back in after loosening the bottom sub frame bolts. Too bad I already scratched my nice pretty black frame.

Now that you have done it once.....next time should go smoother for you....... 👍

Edited by Craigo 485sm

You are absolutely right.......I forgot to drill and change the fuel screw setting......so I just did it twice. Much easier now lmao