Sign in to follow this  

Mint 2000 CR250 steal

Im dying right now. This bike is MINT. Only catch is one of the cases leak. Since its where the drain bolt goes, would it be the left or right case? Im definitely going to try to get this for $1200 - $1300. Would there be an eaiser fix for the problem than a new case? I dont want to JB Weld it, or use bubble gum LOL. Thanks for looking 🙂

http://edmundston.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-vehicules-motocyclettes-motos-vertes-tout-terrain-2000-Honda-CR-250-asking-1400-W0QQAdIdZ503218473

sorry dude bikes not mint.. rode hard and someone used a pressure washer to pretty it up... look elsewhere

I'm going to have to agree with farfromhome on this one. Just from the crappy pics you can see it needs tires and I'm sure every bearing on the bike is clapped out. I know bikes in Canada go for more money but let's do some math here so you have a better idea what your getting into. The new case half is going to cost atleast a couple hundred I would think even if you get one from eBay by the time you pay shipping up there. Next are you capable of doing this work yourself? If so your looking at spending about 150 on the tools to do the job. If not add a couple hundred more to pay a mechanic to do it. Suspension, wheel, and steering stem bearings are about 75-100 bucks roughly. While the cases are apart youd be a fool not to at the very minimum replace the top end. Never ever trust the seller on how many "rides" are on the piston. A ride can be 2 minutes or 6 hours. That's 150 or more with gaskets. Next we move onto bottom end bearings. If the crank is on its way out add 200-250 and then another 50-60 for crank bearings. If any of the transmission bearings are bad they go for about 10-20 a piece and there are atleast 5 in there. While you have it apart its foolish not to replace all that stuff. Is the cylinder in spec? Who knows? Replate is another 200. Gasket set is another 50. Seriously I could go on and on because I literally just went through all this myself. I realize it may not need all of that stuff but I can guarandamnte you it's going to need the majority of that stuff. Plus shipping to Canada is insane. I don't mean to be a dream killer but I also don't want to see you get stuck with a roach that will constantly give you problems and no one else will buy. That page has had over 120 hits and the guy still has the bike, right? After you get done getting a bike like that up to par again you better take it to your grave because you will never come close to getting your money back. Try to find one for a few hundred more from that only needs minor stuff like brakes or tires and other stuff you can replace as you get the money.

Sorry to disappoint, but i agree with everyone else....Just to echo what everyone else said.....Shiny plastic and graphics don't make a bike mint. The sides of the cases not having 275 hours of boot rub would impress me more than a $100 new plastic kit. The chassis looks tired in the pics...

I agree with the other members. That bike has been rode hard & put away wet... I'd keep looking.

My turn! Basically agree with Curt on the prices. However...Check the compression >150 ok 170 getting thier 190 wow. make sure the swingarm is not chewed under the slider, put it in gear and make sure you can walk the bike backward (no drag on clutch=likely good clutch), better yet you should be able to stop the wheel with your foot while on a stand. This does not always work since if the bike has been sitting it could be a little sticky (this can be a good bargaining ploy for you), Check sprokets, rads, rotors, and break pads, scan rims for dents and cracks (I still miss these, the cracks can be hair line, but usually dents elsewhere can be a sign). Look for cracks in the frame, other cracks in the block, leaking fork and shock seals Go for a ride. Then you got three options. 1) Walk, 2) offer 1000 if not walk, 3) or pay what you want when you see it, Weld the crack, and put in a heli coil. While its being welded, tear into the back end and check all the bearings at worst your about 150 from rockymountain ATV, plus bearing puller (90 bucks) will save your hours. Including the wheels (local bearing supply 25 bucks). bleed breaks, replace rad fluid (get from honda car dealer (silicate free, aluminum safe)) get to know the bike. Stay Away from Local dealers for oils parts, consumables. If you do not like what you see you've gone along way to reconditioning it and its better than most bikes that are sold. At this point your maybee 500 into it.Here that bike I could sell for 2700.00 in less than a week! Take cash and go hunting for a "better" bike in the 3000 dollar range, and offer 2500.00 see if you get a bite. I'm on number 11 in 6 months. Its worked for me. If it was in my back yard I would be over their with my truck with brand new 100 bills and a few 20's and give it a good hard look (at that price!!). So far 3 out of 11 bikes I have done have had cracked, or dented rims. 9, needed bearings in the back end but 5 were "good enough" for resale after cleaning and re-greasing. 2-had shot hubs, 2-bad clutches (just some stats for you)

Good used tires at a local wrecker are 30 bucks each. At rockymountian ATV I can get a new set delivered for about 120.00

If you like it and the compression is better than 150 don't open "the can of worms" and ride for the rest of the summer and check it a few times. Then over the winter let the real games begin and peel back the layers of the onion. (top end)

Now I see where these guys are coming from and this is a compliment guys! You guys are purists and love the machine under you and want it to be top notch and it ends up being just so and its your baby and its a keeper. It costs money and time to do this, but you;ve got a really good ride and had "fun" LOL fixing it...Right!. For me I gamble and change bikes like underwear, from what I can see their is no guarantee that a 3000-3300 dollar CR250 is any better, unless it really is barely ridden. Likely anything Older than 2007 your looking at bearings in the back end. Ive looked at a lot of bikes pretty hard and have found that the only way to see how good they are is to get them home and start wrenching. I still miss stuff..its amazing what you cant see!!!. You got some good room to move on this one (compression is key), cause it looks nice and will be easy to sell if its running properly, once the oil leak is fixed and new rubber is put on!

If your not a fixer and want to be one. This too is a great opportunity. Especially with "help" from all of us LOL. Fix the oil leak if you take motor to welder (200 bucks-ish), put new rubber on it 120 bucks, if it runs a bike this clean is easy sell at 2500K here in Alberta. Your ahead of the game.

And once again boys and girls, you can find any opinion you want on the internet. Now that you found two (me + originalmonk) you wanted to hear, mixed with ones you didn't..... are you any further ahead LOL!

That bike is "mint", for the price in my eyes! But those pictures suck and I can't see much from them, other than a very very loose chain, and yes a power wash!

Edited by bikedad1

From the pictures, in my opinion, compared to most bikes around here (Atlantic Canada), for the price its mint. There was an 04 KX125 in N.B. for $2000, that had a rusted rear rim, spokes & hub, a PC pipe that was painted black and rusted bad, and had LOTS of mud on it, even though the ad stated he had cleaned it after every ride. I was going to sell my bike to buy an 03 CR125 for $1300, but he sold it for $1200 after I had someone coming to look at my bike the next day and he said he'd hold it for me, so i decided to keep mine, fix the shift forks, get a new rear tire, front fender and replace the shock, linkage & swingarm bearing and sell it for $1700 firm. This is off topic from the thread, but I live in Nova Scotia, and its about an 8 hour drive to Bangor, M.E. each way, and my dad told me if I found a good deal hed drive me to get it. Ive seen 05 & 06 YZ125's that are in good condition for $1500 there, where as here they go for $3000 (some guy is selling an 07 YZ250 for $5000 that was an FMX bike. Its bone stock, has been used, & he states that its an extremely rare bike, and that there arent many YZ250's in Atlantic Canada & they dont make YZ 2 strokes any more). Anyway, would it be worth it to drive the 16 hours, and get an 05-06 125 for about $1500? Or should I try to give my friends dad who goes down to Maine to buy bikes & flip them, the money for the bike and get him to pick it up on his trip down? Opinions?

If you really want to save money and problems get a non current new bike from Maine (or some other state). The Canadian used market is way over priced because the new bikes are. Three out of our 4 bikes were imported from the US and other than the process of doing the paperwork and 72 hour waiting period we saved thousands. Most big dealerships will crate and ship their bikes to border towns so don't overlook that option either. Even if you travelled 8 hours and stayed in a hotel your savings are still worthwhile. Don't waste your time or money on that old bike (it's 13 years old now...stripped bolts? that's just the start...) Buy that and you'll be sorry.

Dealing with the hassle of crating, shipping, and customs, for something in this price range doesn't make sense. A rare car, or something in the $10k range sure, but not a $2000 bike. For the cost of shipping and all the other crap involved with getting a bike from the US, he could easily fix whatever issues that bike might have.

That bike looks just fine to me. It's a used bike, it may need a few things, so what. Most used bikes need something. I have a 1990 CR250 that you guys would think looks like ass, but it's the most reliable bike I've owned. So you can't judge it all by the pictures. For $1400 I think it's a good deal.

Yeah Imo that is a good price here in Canada, prices are much higher for used bikes and i think he is selling at a reasonable price given the condition of the bike. We pay huge mark up for parts on this side as well compared to stock and i think this really drives the cost up on used bikes too, not cheap for anything. Let see the locals wanted almost 400 for a pwk carb, bought out of the states for 180....just an example. I would go get it, worst case is a simple weld job and helicoils as stated providing all else is good or just buy a used case half and replace it when you do the crank after riding for a season, jb weld for a temp fix until you tear down. Wait too long and it will be gone.

Edited by kurtus

Yeah Imo that is a good price here in Canada, prices are much higher for used bikes and i think he is selling at a reasonable price given the condition of the bike. We pay huge mark up for parts on this side as well compared to stock and i think this really drives the cost up on used bikes too, not cheap for anything. Let see the locals wanted almost 400 for a pwk carb, bought out of the states for 180....just an example. I would go get it, worst case is a simple weld job and helicoils as stated providing all else is good or just buy a used case half and replace it when you do the crank after riding for a season, jb weld for a temp fix until you tear down. Wait too long and it will be gone.

I was about to call him, when I checked the map. Hes a good 6 hour drive away from me, so I'll hold off. Hopefully gettin a job soon and working 20-25 hour weeks. Plan on getting my RM fixed & sold and then save up for a 12/13 KTM 150SXXC. Either getting it shipped from Alberta or might try to find a dealer in the states with a good deal on a left over as it will be in late 2013/early 2013.

I was about to call him, when I checked the map. Hes a good 6 hour drive away from me, so I'll hold off. Hopefully gettin a job soon and working 20-25 hour weeks. Plan on getting my RM fixed & sold and then save up for a 12/13 KTM 150SXXC. Either getting it shipped from Alberta or might try to find a dealer in the states with a good deal on a left over as it will be in late 2013/early 2013.

Good plan, in the end your always better off to buy new if thats an option. Good luck to you on the new purchase in the near future man.

Dealing with the hassle of crating, shipping, and customs, for something in this price range doesn't make sense. A rare car, or something in the $10k range sure, but not a $2000 bike. For the cost of shipping and all the other crap involved with getting a bike from the US, he could easily fix whatever issues that bike might have.

That bike looks just fine to me. It's a used bike, it may need a few things, so what. Most used bikes need something. I have a 1990 CR250 that you guys would think looks like ass, but it's the most reliable bike I've owned. So you can't judge it all by the pictures. For $1400 I think it's a good deal.

I didn't say do this for a $2000 bike. Read the post before you go off. Buy a new one or a new non current bike.

That bike is not a good deal for a worn out 13 yr old MX bike

Edited by Dklassen

Good plan, in the end your always better off to buy new if thats an option. Good luck to you on the new purchase in the near future man.

Thanks man. What province do you live in up here? Haha its sick to find a guy on here who understands how much more the bikes cost up here, especially in Atlantic Canada.

Dklassen, Just because it's 13 years old doesn't make it a pos, I have a 96 that I dumped 2500 into and it is tighter than most 1-2 year old bikes so it comes down to how the previous owner takes care of their shit. This bike might be really tight for all we know aside from the case half, so considering the op is not racing at a pro level he would be more than fine with the setup of this bike that is if it's been maintained. Plastics get old and need replacing regardless and a bit if wear on frame/cases just means it has been ridden over the last 13 years, people don't generally buy bikes to let them sit as shelf queens and then sell them at a loss unless your really lucky. Also alot of the time guys by aftermarket plastics right away and take off the new oem plastics to save for reselling and may even install aftermarket clutch/flywheel covers so who the hell really knows what your getting. Most cases in Canada that bike would sell for 2500 in good running condition. My point being pictures never tell the whole story and it could be a jem for all we know and he may even take less. If I was closer I'd be looking for at it cause in Canada there is some money to be made on that if you have the tools/skill believe it or not.

Edited by kurtus

Thanks man. What province do you live in up here? Haha its sick to find a guy on here who understands how much more the bikes cost up here, especially in Atlantic Canada.

I'm in BC, was lucky enough to pick up a 96 cr250 for 450 and then decided I want it to be like new, 2500 later it is basically new aside from some wear on the clutch and flywheel covers which I will replace e soon. I replace and or rebuilt everything on it so yeah there are nice bikes out there that are older, comes down to the owner and maintenance that goes into them. I also keep all my receipts so when it comes time to sell I can show them the work that I did to it along with picture of the process along the way.

i'd gone to look, lots a room to move, ie dump into into it, and guy may just be demoralized he toasted his perfect running bike. If he took it to a mechanic he would have been quoted 1500 or more. I met a fellow rider with stripped screws on his front break reserviour. Was quoted minimum of 100 bucks but stealer recommended a new one installed for 400. I drove to his house took a tiny chisel sharpened with a slanting blade and a light hammer and had them off in less than 5-mins, with only the smallest gouge in the cover. Ps the small chisel trick (5mm wide blade) is awesome for stripped screws, or if you can get at them a small cutting wheel with a dremmel to carve a slot in the top.

Really we have a huge advantage in Canada. We can buy fixer uppers get cheap parts from US and get high prices on resale. As was mentioned getting a good bike, even newer but used from US is a pretty darm good option. Its only a bit of work in the end. Part of the game if your trying to stretch your dollars.

Edited by bikedad1

I guess I didn't realize what the prices were like up there in canadia. Maybe I should start buying a few used bikes at a time from around here and take them up to Niagra falls/Toronto and make some money. It seems everyone from up your way is saying that bike is a good deal so listen to them before you listen to me. I feel bad for you all guys except for bikedad. Seems he has it all figured out! I wish it were easy to make a profit around here on flipping bike because I really do enjoy working on them. My problem is I just don't know when to stop replacing stuff and I'd never make any money.

I'm kinda the same way. Got a nice 2003 KX125 (spooge case), nothing really wrong with it. It was all spooged up, and needed tires. So what am I going to do next. Tear the back end down (swing arm and Linkage). Why? don't really know. I really do have a fixing disease. Its good to go but I can't resist! I think this would work in the US too. If you live near a big city you don't even need to worry about getting the cheap ones that are trash. Keep on top of all new listings and get ready to bolt with cash in hand. Or find the ones that for some funny reason are not being picked up (week old listing) good price. Its likely something simple. Or simply by low, clean well, ride a bit, sell high. Lots of guys sell em dirty and will go down a huge amount off asking. I think seller pycology is generally first day (I'm not taking a dime less than asking) second day, not call, I'm not taking less than 100 off asking, 4 day no calls or just tire kickers or no shows.. 'm not taking 200 less than asking LOL. Its wierd I am totally the same way. Buyers are reverse, time starts to change your mind.

Spooge case was the kid was riding it illegally behind his house in tight woods, never on the pipe (I still need to ride to verify)! It had shit tires, but he had two new ones, never put them on. Bike was covered in cheap stickers, and he sold it dirty! He was asking what it was worth 2400, but I pointed out all the stuff and he knew it wasn't right. so I got it for 1750.00 easy to pull 2300 out of it Even If I need new bearings I can net 400-450 bucks. Hourly the pay back can be embarrassing. but it stops me from watching TV!

Edited by bikedad1
  • Like 1