Sign in to follow this  

I crashed! (pics) Need gear!

Hi Guys, new here. I have been riding ATV'S all my life, just recently switched over and got a 2006 Honda CRF 250x...and crashed it.

The usual story on the crash, got too confident as a beginner, and lost it on some gravel (~35 mph). I got really bad road rash, lost chunks of fingernail, and sprained an ankle. If you want to see some gross (graphic) pics, click here. The bike is fine BTW.

I already have a helmet (I was wearing it), but I need some gear to protect myself from this in the future. I am totally new at this, and have no idea what to buy.

I want:

protection for elbows, arms, hands, legs, knees, and good boots with ankle support.

Something breathable (cool enough for summer, and warm enough for cool temps)

To look cool!

Some info about me (if you even need it):

6'3''

180 lbs

Size 11 shoes

33 waist.

I'd really appreciate some advice! The budget really isn't too much of a problem, but this shouldn't be ridiculously expensive. Remember you are buying for a new rider! 🙂

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

From the pics it seems like you were wearing shorts and a t-shirt when this happened.. even if you don't have gear you should be wearing jeans, some type of work/hiking boots, something long sleeve and gloves! Stuff you might have around the house could have greatly reduced the amount of injury.

Like backyard hack said, go to some stores and try stuff on. Cycle gear sells their 'BiLT' brand for dirt cheap. Not high end stuff but a good place to start if you don't have a lot of money.

1. Helmet/Goggles

2. Gloves

3. Riding boots

4. Knee pads

5. Riding pants

6. Jersey

7. Elbow pads

8. Chest protection

9. Neck brace

This is how I rate protective gear as far as importance... It was formed while learning to ride and after several get-offs. But again, if anything you need to get all of your skin covered and support your ankles. That alone will make a huge difference.

I don't even consider riding until I'm wearing 1-6. I should really include 7 but then heat becomes a factor. Oh and ride safe..

Edit: I went down once on a dirt road behind my house in shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes... Broke my leg when I hit the ground. Hence why Boots are number 3 on my list and why I don't ride anymore without 1-6. Just gotta learn from our mistakes.

Edited by MossyOak

I wear a thor impact rig, knee pads, of course boots/pants/jersey/helmet/gloves.

Every Ride! No matter how hot it is. Its saved me numerous times. Most recently sliding for 15 feet down a gravel road, got up with only a bruise on my hip from the bike.

One day I was unloading the bike, it was damn hot out. I thought "maybe I shouldn't wear the impact rig". Well luckily I did and no less than 2 min's later I was on my way to the hospital.

Came over the crest of a hill wheelie'ing. And someone built a new step down I couldn't see till I came over the top, hit the brakes dropped the front wheel and stacked into the back of it. Endo with the bike landing on me, had tire marks on the helmet. Thought for sure I broke my collarbone again but luckily only tore some muscle in my shoulder.

That tought me you never know what you're in for when you hop on the bike.

Edited by yammy225ttr

I dont know how much a jersey would have saved some of that carnage, but I would buy at least riding pants....jersey just goes with it IMO. But if budget is tight, save the cash on gear by finding a good deal, used or otherwise, and put the money towards the #1 and #2 in my book...helmet/boots, respectively. I wear knee guards, while i dont know if they are allll that beneficial, I like em for the off change i crash in a weird way i hit something hard above the boot to knee area. Plus they dont bother me at all, so why not. I have never worn elbow protection, i think it would drive me nuts. Also wear a neck brace, but thats an if u can get one type of deal there.

Anyhow, I have the fly kinetic mesh pants/jersey, and I have liked that combo a lot. When riding, it feels like wind is whipping through. I notice it a lot on trail rides moreso then MX because on the trail we will stop, sit, and then go. MX i go or i sit...no in between. I notice when I stop on a hot day, i get pretty toasty...soon as I get moving again, the venting becomes evident. I also have a Klim F4 helmet, it isn't a popular choice, but a quality lid. I usually find that if i look around the mx gate or practice start...I will never see another one, lol. But, I think part of that is that Klim isn't the most known brand out there. It has a ton of venting....though some people claim the louvers on the top grab tree branches when trail riding....never happened to me yet. I also am just using Fox F3 boots at the moment. I won't say they are the best boot out there (obviously), and may not be the BEST protection you can get....but I have been pretty happy with them thus far, and for $75 for a near new set, can't complain. I have a thor chest protector too, and I wont ride without it. Doesn't mean you have to have it. However, in the event I have a get off over a tree with some nasty branches or stubs...i'd like to have it deflect off a good chest protector then stab me.

Side note, not trying to stereotype, but it always seems to me the quad riders are the ones wearing the least amount of gear. Now I am not talking bout those riding tracks, but the trail guys. I was at a trail head last weekend, where its a pretty wide trail (still fun to rip through on a bike), and it is good deal of quads there due to it being 50". Every quad rider I seen that day had basically nothing for protective gear on besides a helmet. Most def didnt have boots on. I guess if your legs are always inside the fenders and you are not jumping...no biggie, but they are always wearing work boots, jeans, and t-shirts....then a helmet/goggles. Whereas, the dirt bike guys I see almost always have at least the basics on. Again, not saying ALL quads, but I would say when I ride a trail wide enough for quads, 85% of them fit the above protective gear description.

Lastly, way to join the good side ;-)

Edited by J_WR2fitty
  • Like 1

MossyOak's list is pretty good but you have to add goggles to it. I prefer knee braces over knee pads but they do cost a lot more. Most of the gear manufactures each produce a cheap, mid, and high quality lines. You generally get what you pay for so I'd advise avoiding the cheap lines. They don't seem to last as long, they generally don't have good ventilation and are hot and in some cases, they offer less protection. I generally try to buy last years top-of-the-line leftovers on closeout at RM ATV/MC for like 30-40% off. Buy the best boots you can afford. You feet will thank you and we won't have to hear you come back on here complaining that you can't shift or feel the rear brake.

👍 Welcome to the site and two wheels.

I have tried elbow pads. They are horrible unless its cold out (you already have a ton of cloths on) or your doing high speed stuff (keeps you cool and you have more gear on. I try every year with different ones and they always end up being hung up for good. One pair even did more damage than good. Some jerseys already have elbow padding in it but its kind of pathetic.

Go onto Rocky Mountain atv mc and just sift through some pages of gear. You will get a good idea of what to buy and what you want by doing that. Buy good boots and knee pads. Look at the fly/leatt chest protector that is compatible with almost any neck brace. It's very comfortable and it makes wearing a neck brace more comfortable.

• Like 1

MossyOak's list is pretty good but you have to add goggles to it. I prefer knee braces over knee pads but they do cost a lot more. Most of the gear manufactures each produce a cheap, mid, and high quality lines. You generally get what you pay for so I'd advise avoiding the cheap lines. They don't seem to last as long, they generally don't have good ventilation and are hot and in some cases, they offer less protection. I generally try to buy last years top-of-the-line leftovers on closeout at RM ATV/MC for like 30-40% off. Buy the best boots you can afford. You feet will thank you and we won't have to hear you come back on here complaining that you can't shift or feel the rear brake.

👍 Welcome to the site and two wheels.

I agree, while my fox boots have been ok....they are an upgrade candidate for next year for sure. The left one had a seam come apart a lil....i did again only pay $75 for em slightly used, and been pretty comfy. Thinkin Sidi SRS's.

I agree, while my fox boots have been ok....they are an upgrade candidate for next year for sure. The left one had a seam come apart a lil....i did again only pay $75 for em slightly used, and been pretty comfy. Thinkin Sidi SRS's.

I'm on my second pair of Sidi and doubt I'll ever buy anything else. The TA crossfire's lasted for 3 years before the sole wore out. The TA were more waterproof but the SRS sole is nice. In a year I wore through the original SRS moto sole. The enduro soles seems to be lasting quite a bit longer.

• Like 1

I'm on my second pair of Sidi and doubt I'll ever buy anything else. The TA crossfire's lasted for 3 years before the sole wore out. The TA were more waterproof but the SRS sole is nice. In a year I wore through the original SRS moto sole. The enduro soles seems to be lasting quite a bit longer.

True

Ouch glad your still in one piece, those pics really are gross LOL. I would say if you spend alot of time on that gravel to get one of the all in one torso protection outfits like the Fly Barricade or the variant from Troy Lee.

My dad wears this jacket like thing from either fox or evs don't remember but it's basically an upper body protection suit with plastic guards and I can guarantee that if u were wearing it you wouldn't have that road rash

Hi Guys, new here. I have been riding ATV'S all my life, just recently switched over and got a 2006 Honda CRF 250x...and crashed it.

The usual story on the crash, got too confident as a beginner, and lost it on some gravel (~35 mph). I got really bad road rash, lost chunks of fingernail, and sprained an ankle. If you want to see some gross (graphic) pics, click here. The bike is fine BTW.

I already have a helmet (I was wearing it), but I need some gear to protect myself from this in the future. I am totally new at this, and have no idea what to buy.

I want:

protection for elbows, arms, hands, legs, knees, and good boots with ankle support.

Something breathable (cool enough for summer, and warm enough for cool temps)

To look cool!

Some info about me (if you even need it):

6'3''

180 lbs

Size 11 shoes

33 waist.

I'd really appreciate some advice! The budget really isn't too much of a problem, but this shouldn't be ridiculously expensive. Remember you are buying for a new rider! 🙂

Thanks so much!

Rocky mountain ATV fly racing gear package... cheap and works better than nothing....

I have Thor, k style , and fly.

For the money fly is good gear.

Man you sure saved a lot of money on gear!

Too bad you blew it on the ER visit and PAIN!

I'm glad you're OK but man you had it coming. Obvious you were wearing shorts and a t shirt. Some people can only learn the hard way.

3 weeks ago I stopped on the trail to move a fallen limb. The bike rolled forward and fell on me as I was getting off, thought it was in first but was in neutral. Heard and felt a pop in left knee and lots of pain. I was wearing helmet, gloves, work boots, armored jacket and......blue jeans. &%$#@! was I thinking? Now I have a torn ACL and MCL and a bruised bone, surgery is in a few days.

Had I been wearing knee braces this probably would not have happened. Now with what I will have to pay out of pocket and with lost work I could have easily bought the new bike of my choice. I will not be able to trail ride until next year. Or fly hang gliders, snowboard, hike, bike, back pack etc. My summer is shot. I'll probably have to take up drinking. I bought riding pants and will get knee protection,

Looks like you got off easy with some serious road rash and cuts. Hope you learned your lesson. GEAR UP!

1. a high quality pair of boots. (i use sidi crossfires and will recommend them to anyone)

2. a neck brace. (i use the leatt, the atlas is also very good)

3. knee braces. (i use asterisk cells. asterisk cell and ultra cell, pod k300 and k700, cti, alpinestars bionic, evs axis, and evs webb are the only ones i would recommend. as other braces will not protect as well from hypertension)

4. elbow pads. (alpinestars makes some nice ones)

5 pants/jersey/gloves. (if you want something you can ride with in the summer, fox 180 or 360 is the way to go. it is very light, breathable, and has pads or your hips, and elbows)

6. wrist braces. ( i do not know much about these, as they are new to the sport)

this may seem overwhelming and expensive at first, instead of buying brand new neck brace ($250-$800) and knee braces ($500-$2500), you can buy ones that have been used twice, and pay $100 for a neck brace and $250 for some knee braces.

hope this helped!

Sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what you want covered. And those pics ... :jawdrop: yup, that's why I wear all the gear I do...

If you're anything like me, you'll go through a couple of sets of gear before you find what works well for you.

You'll probably also end up with a couple of sets of gear to mix-and-match based on weather, riding conditions, and what you feel like wearing.

I ride dualsport. Terrorize soccer moms on the highway heading to the trails, then dodge deer/skunks/foxes/buffalo/porcupines/squirrels offroad. Dualsport's an interesting animal because on the street you want abrasion protection (sliding on asphalt), where on dirt the impact protection of hitting rocks/stumps/trees is more important. Tough to find gear that covers both those requirements.

For my mostly- or entirely-offroad riding, I've found:

• Helmet, goggles or sunglasses depending on what I feel like wearing
  • Tekvest with shoulder pads. "Freestyle" in the summer, sometimes I'll wear my heavier sno-x race vest when it's cooler out. Shoulders are optional/detachable on the Freestyle, integrated (required for snowmobile racing) on the race vests.
  • Elbow pads: I tried the hard plastic MX pads ... can't do it. Way too bulky, ill-fitting, uncomfortable. Refilled my airbag pack's cylinder at the local paintball shop, they had a set of elbow pads there for that... Neoprene sleeve that pulled over your arm, with enough padding on the elbow/forearm to protect you but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I can wear these all day long and never be bothered by them.
  • Gloves. Scorpion Exo mesh streetbike gloves, oddly enough. I wear these all-around - snow, dirt, and street. Comfortable, tough enough, and cheap.
  • Sometimes I wear armored shorts under my pants - I have a pair of Tekrider's shorts (again, for Sno-X racing, but they work awesome on the dirt too). Other days I leave these out. Depends on what i'm riding, who i'm riding with, and whether I feel like wearing them or not.
  • Knee guards. Destroyed half a dozen pairs of the $20 guards, then stepped up to the Thor Force. These last about a year (season on dirt, season on snow, and one or two mostly-street moto rides a week all year round). Not a full-on knee brace, but still offers lateral support and good coverage.
  • Thor Quadrant ATV-sole boots. MX boot with a good work-boot style lug sole. Nice for hiking around in loose stuff off the bike carrying a couple grand in camera equipment. :ph34r: Takes some time to break in moto boots before they're comfortable.

I can adjust all this gear so I'm reasonably comfortable in warmer temps (mid-90°F's). Triple-digits and it's uncomfortable no matter what you're doing. When the temp drops I start to change gear - either for my snowmobile gear; or zip the liner into my adventure jacket, pull the armor out of it, and run with a protective vest underneath.

I've ridden my bike in triple-digits, and the coldest I've ridden in is -16°F and snowing (studded tires kick ass, btw).

Mostly-offroad setup:

P9250162-L.jpg

My elbow pads, "Proto Defender":

DSC_5877-L.jpg

Sno-x race vest (way too warm for summer riding, but great on snow and colder spring/fall days)

DSC03502-L.jpg

Adventure jacket for mostly-street/commuting, or colder days:

DSC00246-L.jpg

Crash-tested, this stuff works. :ride:

DSC_9755_-L.jpg

(that wipeout cost me a couple minutes and at least one place in the race :bonk: )

Sidi makes great boots. But, if your instep isn't on the petite side, they are just too tight. I have pretty "typical' feet and while the length was fine, the space from the footbeg to the top of the instep is on the small size. Even with the buckles only tight enough to stay put and thin stocks, still too tight. I had to go back to Gaerne. Definitely try boots on before you buy. 👍