Sign in to follow this  

Crap I was sold The wrong bike what do I do?

On April 20 I traded my 2005 yz 125 for a "2007" crf 250 which looked pretty ragged out but I thought I was getting a 2007 so I thought it was fixable and I could sell it for equal value. However I ordered some parts and found out they didn't fit so I checked the vin and it turned out it's a 2004 so now im mad and feel like a dumb ass! The thing is we paid 2800 for my yz 125 and put 700 into, it basically had a new engine and everything in it was aftermarket and professionally installed so we had about 3500 into it and was in perfect spotless condition (new bearings too). The 2004 crf I got is ragged out and we have replaced a few things on it so far but in overall rough shape and from kelly blue book value resale is only 2000 in perfect condition so I don't know what to do at this point and I need some help, what would you guys do? also I haven't talked to the guy who sold it to me yet since I just found out tonight so I'm just not sure and I really don't wanna be a dick to the guy cause it seemed like he didn't know it was a 2004 either and he was a kid. Thanks for any input

Considering that you made the trade back in april, I don't think there is much you can do, just cut your losses and move on, sucks I know I've gotten screwed with bikes before.

Edited by KTMinNFLD

I don't think theres really anything you can do, you're just going to have to cut your losses and move on.

Even if it was advertised as a 2007 though? It doesn't seem right

it's not right. But there's nothing you can do about it. Just try to sell the bike and move on with this one.. Happens to all of us wether it be with a bike or anything. It sucks yea it does but not a thing can be done about it now. Should of asked for the VIN and checked it before hand. Not saying you're in the wrong by any means.

Hope you have lots of documentation, thats all thats gonna help you I think. If not, 2004s aren't so bad 😉 I am coming to believe the major difference between MX models is what condition they are in.

No its not right at all, you can try to work something out with the guy but I doubt you would work anything out, my guess is that he said it was an 07 but he knew it was an 04 just to screw somebody...

it's not right. But there's nothing you can do about it. Just try to sell the bike and move on with this one.. Happens to all of us wether it be with a bike or anything. It sucks yea it does but not a thing can be done about it now. Should of asked for the VIN and checked it before hand. Not saying you're in the wrong by any means.

Ya I guess so I'm just really pissed off that I lost alot of money out of this and I didn't check the vin # first :banghead: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :foul:

Hope you have lots of documentation, thats all thats gonna help you I think. If not, 2004s aren't so bad 😉 I am coming to believe the major difference between MX models is what condition they are in.

Haha ya I do love hondas and the 2004 isn't bad, unfortunately the condition was nasty lol it had bald tires and was riding metal on metal from brake pads to rotor

No its not right at all, you can try to work something out with the guy but I doubt you would work anything out, my guess is that he said it was an 07 but he knew it was an 04 just to screw somebody...

Ya i guess it has been a while since the trade but if he signed a bill of sale that stated he was trading a 2007 with the vin number next to it would that make a difference?

You can try going to him and trying to get your bike back. Don't be a nice guy about it and don't be a total dick let him know if something's not done to right it on you're part then you're gonna get the law involved and see what goes from there.

I would go back and give him shit! I would tell him I want my old bike back or I'm taking this to court....

You can try going to him and trying to get your bike back. Don't be a nice guy about it and don't be a total dick let him know if something's not done to right it on you're part then you're gonna get the law involved and see what goes from there.

I think that's the route I'm gonna be heading soon but a set of plastics from that contest wouldn't hurt original monk haha 😉

I think that's the route I'm gonna be heading soon but a set of plastics from that contest wouldn't hurt original monk haha 😉

way to sweet talk him! Haha good luck with the bike man!

Man, well I don't think you'll get there this contest but maybe the next one.......

way to sweet talk him! Haha good luck with the bike man!

Haha it was a good try! thanks man I'll let you guys know how it goes

Man, well I don't think you'll get there this contest but maybe the next one.......

Haha no problem man but it's cool that your doing that kind of contest it definitely helps out

I sold my bikes looking for a new one so I didn't enter the contest but just wanted to say that you do some damn good things for people on here mr.monk! You're a good man.
  • Like 1

Um.....

This all falls on you, why would you not get the vin number and do a check in the first place. People lie about a bikes age all the time and I'd wanna make sure it wasn't stolen since it obviously didn't have a title or certificate of origin which all bikes come with. People have tried to lie to me before and when I point what makes this bike this model year in addition to the VIN confirming the production year, they just say something like I didn't know. When in all reality they were most likely lieing. Maybe a year off due to manufacturer date confusion and it's correlation to model year.

You were screwed move on in life, your buthole should have recovered by now since it's been since the spring.

Also did you not look at the steering stem or somewhere on the bike for a sticker like this....

honda_crf450_service_specifications_torque_specs_vin_number_model.jpg

I would just take this as a lesson learned in life. I'm sure you'll never make that mistake again.

And yes the seller was obviously a liar but that's how you have to treat all sellers, at least at first.

Edited by 79yamdt

Um.....

This all falls on you, why would you not get the vin number and do a check in the first place. People lie about a bikes age all the time and I'd wanna make sure it wasn't stolen since it obviously didn't have a title or certificate of origin which all bikes come with. People have tried to lie to me before and when I point what makes this bike this model year in addition to the VIN confirming the production year, they just say something like I didn't know. When in all reality they were most likely lieing. Maybe a year off due to manufacturer date confusion and it's correlation to model year.

You were screwed move on in life, your buthole should have recovered by now since it's been since the spring.

Also did you not look at the steering stem or somewhere on the bike for a sticker like this....

honda_crf450_service_specifications_torque_specs_vin_number_model.jpg

I would just take this as a lesson learned in life. I'm sure you'll never make that mistake again.

And yes the seller was obviously a liar but that's how you have to treat all sellers, at least at first.

Your definitely right I was just stuck in the excitement of getting a new bike so I just kind of overlooked it and believe me I feel like a dumbass, I just decided to trust the guy and I'd never bought a honda before so I didn't know much about each model year difference. Na the black sticker near the stearing stem was peeled off so all I saw was the vin and it said 07 on it but in the wrong spot and I didn't noitce :banghead: but I just found out tonight since I was thinking about selling the bike since I haven't liked the performance.

If he held the bike out as a 2007, just take him to small claims court. You have nothing to lose and it is so easy to do. Of course a modicum of evidence (like a Craigslist ad or a bill of sale) would help your case.

Small claims judges are mostly just young lawyers. The law is pretty clear about the buyer being aware, caveat emptor, but fraud is not allowed. If he said "This thing is just like an '07!" that's puffing, and it's fine. If he said "This bike is an '07" that's fraud.

If he gets in front of the "judge" and says "I never said it was an '07" and it is your word against his, the judge will ask if you two can reach a middle ground settlement. If the seller says "no" then you may get nothing, or the judge may order you to trade bikes back.

There is lots of other advice I (we) can give you, but first tell us if you have anything in writing. You should have done your homework, but this isn't as much of a dog-eat-dog world as you might think.

If he held the bike out as a 2007, just take him to small claims court. You have nothing to lose and it is so easy to do. Of course a modicum of evidence (like a Craigslist ad or a bill of sale) would help your case.

Small claims judges are mostly just young lawyers. The law is pretty clear about the buyer being aware, caveat emptor, but fraud is not allowed. If he said "This thing is just like an '07!" that's puffing, and it's fine. If he said "This bike is an '07" that's fraud.

If he gets in front of the "judge" and says "I never said it was an '07" and it is your word against his, the judge will ask if you two can reach a middle ground settlement. If the seller says "no" then you may get nothing, or the judge may order you to trade bikes back.

There is lots of other advice I (we) can give you, but first tell us if you have anything in writing. You should have done your homework, but this isn't as much of a dog-eat-dog world as you might think.

Thank you that sounds like it can definitely help because he wrote it was a 2007 crf 250 on the bill of sale that he and my dad signed and put the serial number on it, do you think that would be enough though? plus I still have our text conversation on my phone as evidence too