Sign in to follow this  

new to biking. Dont know what to buy.

Im new to biking and am looking for a bike that would be good for me as a beginner. Im 5'10 and weigh 140lbs.

What type of riding are you planning on doing?

xr100 and 200 are so weak you will get bored quickly. If you get a XR I would get the 250 minimum but the 400 would be my choice.

Im planning on doing jumps/trails, but would an xr400 be too much for someone who hasn't rode on a dirt bike before? like ever. lol

I don't think so but opinions may vary. A friend of mine road my drz400 for his first dirt bike and we road trails for hours.

It may be a little heavy for you depending on how strong you are though.

Edited by GaDRZ400sMan

go with like a crf250x, maybe even go 2 stroke with a 125, you're 5'10 and the smaller bikes are going to make you feel cramped

If you're new to biking I would highly suggest avoiding a 4 stroke. They are 30-40 lbs heavier and top heavy . When you are just learning, you're gonna make alot of mistakes, you'll get the bike going the wrong way and it will be MUCH harder to correct mistakes on a 4 stroke and it will hurt you. It's much easier to dab on a small 2 stroke . At your height and weight, I would say a used YZ125 would be a very good choice. It is 198 lbs and has a shorter wheelbase too. It starts very easy and has decent torque for a 125. Put a G2 throttle with the 400 cam and it will tame most of the powerband . It's not gonna take off like a rocket with the G2 throttle, just dont ride around in 1st gear . As a beginner, You can lower a yz125 quite a bit. A friend of mine who is 5'6" has his YZ 125 lowered way too much in the rear ... he is almost flat footed. I rode it and surprisingly it still turned fine for trail riding. If you happened to see a kx100 for cheap, I wouldnt hesitate to get it, throw some powermadd bar risers on it and you could learn very safely on it even though a little small... I'm 170 and a kx100 will pull me all day long . It weight about 150 lbs , very light , short and easy to learn on. Start Light and Small and Cheap.

After a year or so , when you learn to ride then check out heavier more powerful bikes. Make sure you get some knee pads, elbow pads to go with your boots/helmet. Save yourself alot of busted knees/elbows . Good luck !

• Like 1

Avo made some good points.

I just read your initial post again and didn't catch that you weigh 140. A 125 two stroke would be perfect as far as weight goes but if you've never been on a two stroke before it might not be your cup of tea. That xr400 is going to weigh about 60lbs more than a 125 2s. Doesn't sound like a lot but picking it up off the ground several times can really wear you out.

They will both have about the same amount of power but will be delivered very differently. Its really hard to say what you would adapt to better. For example one of my friends who had a klx250s (4 stroke) got on my rm125 (2 stroke) and said it felt very very fast to him and it took him a while to get used to the powerband. While my other friend who has never been on a bike before road my drz400 and my yz250 (2 stroke) and had no problems getting used to either and within 15 minutes was ripping through the gears on my yz250.

So without you ever being on a bike before and not knowing what you like its really hard to pick a bike for you. Maybe somewhere in the middle like an xr250.

If you're new to biking I would highly suggest avoiding a 4 stroke. They are 30-40 lbs heavier and top heavy . When you are just learning, you're gonna make alot of mistakes, you'll get the bike going the wrong way and it will be MUCH harder to correct mistakes on a 4 stroke and it will hurt you. It's much easier to dab on a small 2 stroke . At your height and weight, I would say a used YZ125 would be a very good choice. It is 198 lbs and has a shorter wheelbase too. It starts very easy and has decent torque for a 125. Put a G2 throttle with the 400 cam and it will tame most of the powerband . It's not gonna take off like a rocket with the G2 throttle, just dont ride around in 1st gear . As a beginner, You can lower a yz125 quite a bit. A friend of mine who is 5'6" has his YZ 125 lowered way too much in the rear ... he is almost flat footed. I rode it and surprisingly it still turned fine for trail riding. If you happened to see a kx100 for cheap, I wouldnt hesitate to get it, throw some powermadd bar risers on it and you could learn very safely on it even though a little small... I'm 170 and a kx100 will pull me all day long . It weight about 150 lbs , very light , short and easy to learn on. Start Light and Small and Cheap.

After a year or so , when you learn to ride then check out heavier more powerful bikes. Make sure you get some knee pads, elbow pads to go with your boots/helmet. Save yourself alot of busted knees/elbows . Good luck !

A 4 stroke was my 1st bike, & it was actually the easiest thing to learn on. I learned & maxed out on a ttr125l in the first few times that I rode.

But it was hard to correct like you said, I would say the clutch is a little more forgiving on them. & after dropping it about 10 times in a day it gets a little tiring picking them up.

A Kx100 is my next bike since I'm only 5'6" & lowering a 125 would be annoying. But at 5'10" he may get away with shaving the seat down. & his weight may lower it down a little.

That sounds like a good move. TTR125 to KX100. Double the power and cut some weight on the bike.