Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha yz125 vs. ktm125sx

Hey guys, I am ready to step up to a man sized bike. I am 5'8 and have outgrown my xr100. I would like to buy a used yz or sx, but I am unsure on which is a better buy for me. I plan on using the bike for fun on the track and sometimes on the trails. I have taken a class on the track, and I am convinced I am ready. Please comment away on which one you think is better for me. Thank you!

What years are you looking at? Before 08, YZ all the way....after 08, its a coin toss!

I wouldn't limit myself to just those two bikes though. All of the manufactures made great machines. Buy one that's the cleanest and in the best shape!

What years are you looking at? Before 08, YZ all the way....after 08, its a coin toss!

I wouldn't limit myself to just those two bikes though. All of the manufactures made great machines. Buy one that's the cleanest and in the best shape!

Ya, I am looking at the yz 05 and up and the ktm 08 and up. The problem is here in North Carolina ktm's can get pretty expensive, but I hear that they come with some goodies.

Ya, I am looking at the yz 05 and up and the ktm 08 and up. The problem is here in North Carolina ktm's can get pretty expensive, but I hear that they come with some goodies.

Short of a hydraulic clutch and maybe a hp or 2, the KTM doesn't offer much for goodies. The YZ chassis I feel is more forgiving as is the suspension. You just can't beat a Yamahas suspension.....The YZ to some looks dated but I actually like the look of the bikes. Both bikes are light and have a solid track record of reliability. Because KTMs hold a higher value in your area, I would go with a clean YZ then. The money you can save can go to gas and tires.....

Short of a hydraulic clutch and maybe a hp or 2, the KTM doesn't offer much for goodies. The YZ chassis I feel is more forgiving as is the suspension. You just can't beat a Yamahas suspension.....The YZ to some looks dated but I actually like the look of the bikes. Both bikes are light and have a solid track record of reliability. Because KTMs hold a higher value in your area, I would go with a clean YZ then. The money you can save can go to gas and tires.....

Ok, thank you for your advice