Sign in to follow this  

TCI Skid Plate

I installed it today and not sure I would buy this plate again as the install was a pain.

I hope it lives up to its reputation.

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

• Like 1

That is one sick looking bike, i really like that skid plate, especially all the side protection it has to offer.

your bike looks great, get rid of that stock tail light tho.

Do all the 13's have a black headlight shroud, or are some white?

• Like 2

that's one clean bike.

the drz is heavy so whats a little more? :banana: nice protection thou.

• Like 1

have only seen the the black shroud on the 13's.

I have LED lights but was at the point where I could not do any more work on the bike and just wanted to ride. I have a bunch more stuff to do but finding the time to do is getting harder and harder.

Still trying to figure out if I want to do the jet kit or just get a whole new carb, no idea what I should do.

I am over 200 pounds so between my weight and the bikes weight its not pretty.

• Like 1

Yeah, props on the really nice bike.....very clean and that skid is very cool........... 👍 Wouldn't mind one myself.

I would re-spring the bike for your weight to make sure you are happy with it before spending any real money on mods. If you haven't already done it, you need to crank that rear spring down so you have 70mm of sag at the rear. It makes a huge difference. If you haven't touched it you are probably at 105mm from the factory which is THE SUCK for riding on the street. Crank it down and you won't feel like the rear is squat for someone your size.

I'm at 180lbs in gear and over 190lbs with gear and backpack.

• Like 1

I would re-spring the bike for your weight to make sure you are happy with it before spending any real money on mods. If you haven't already done it, you need to crank that rear spring down so you have 70mm of sag at the rear. It makes a huge difference. If you haven't touched it you are probably at 105mm from the factory which is THE SUCK for riding on the street. Crank it down and you won't feel like the rear is squat for someone your size.

I'm at 180lbs in gear and over 190lbs with gear and backpack.

Thanks for the tip Blue, I set the sag before I took it to the track. I cranked the preload in the rear way down but with my weight in full track gear the shock was not happy.

I am sending my suspension off to my suspension guy this winter. I have not decided if I will go Ohlins or JRI rear shock or re work the OEM shock.

I aslo want to run a few ice races just for fun as I doublt I will be competive on the DRZ.

put some barkbusters w sliders on it, and peg sliders. then it will three point just fine, and you won't have to worry about the waterpump or stator cover.

you've ground the shifter smoooth, right ?

put some barkbusters w sliders on it, and peg sliders. then it will three point just fine, and you won't have to worry about the waterpump or stator cover.

you've ground the shifter smoooth, right ?

+1 to skid/bash plate, hand guards and smoothing down the shifter… in addition TT/CFC engine side cover protectors

However hand guards & sliders won't necessarily save you off-road from damage to the side of the engine. On the street, yes, since the bike will land/drag/scrape along the foot peg and handlebar ends (usually). On rocky trails you can easily drop the bike or side-swipe a rock and those guards will have not helped. I know, since I damaged my water pump outlet and radiator hose to a lesser extent than the OP dropping the bike on a rock ledge and I have all that protection (TT skid, TT side covers, cycra pro-bend hand guards).

I have axle & bars sliders on the way, something was back ordere so taking some time.

Yes I used the dremel to grind down the can opener shifter.

I have some parts in the garage to still put on but it is way to hot out so going to wait until it cools down.

While I dig the response of the rubber killers not digging the added vibration so much.

How did those TCI guards stand up? Was the factory fit ok or did you have to do some mods to fit the 2013? I am looking for something that will save my bike more than make it look better. Its too much fun to wreck.

That's one clean and shiny bike!

Mine's a '13 as well but it's been stickered up, stripped of all safety stickers and reflectors, and dropped a few times.

It looks like you have to take the crash bars off to get to the oil filter.

What about the drains?