Sign in to follow this  

New starter solves problem but still a couple of ?

Installed a new OEM starter today to resolve e-start issue. The bike now starts but 4out of 5 times will click once at the relay before starting to turn over. It also continues not to want to kick start. Both intakes are .05 (-.01) from recommended gap but within specifications. The exhaust valves are dead on as is the decompressor arm.

Will opening up the intakes to .06 or adjusting the decompressor arm gap out a bit help it start easier. I've had the bike for 2 years and it's never wanted to kick start and has always had a stiff stroke when kicking. I'm wondering if there is something else that may be contributing to it not wanting to kick start. Since we do long rides I'm concerned if the starter goes out it may not kick start and can't figure out what may be prohibiting it from kick starting and/or having a slow rotation with the e-start.

Thoughts?

Tight is tight when it comes to valves. If you are far enough in the engine to check them, 30 more minutes makes them right.

Adjust the de-compressor in, not out.

Remove the spark plug lead and the valve cover. Crank the bike over, turn the de-comp in 1/4 turn and crank again. Repeat until you get the fastest engine speed, probably about 3/4 of a turn in. Reassemble the bike and ride away.

This of course assumes your jetting is somewhat close.

Edited by RollingJ

Good enough, I'll get into it this morning and see how it reacts. Appreciate it.