Sign in to follow this  

How do 99-01 chassis compare to third gen? Interchange?

Just wondering about anyones opinions on how the second gen handling compared to the third gens. I love my 02 but also had the suspension set for me as soon as i got it, so i couldnt compare stock. Would i be much worse of switching to a second gen? I always read about how third gen and up CRs were some of the best turning bikes of all the 250's.

My 02 is dialed in, but i really want more power on the tracks i ride. Id be switching to an 01 service honda 500AF.

Would it be possible to swap all my suspension/subframe to the older bike? would it be a easier route just finding a good shop to do a500 swap with a donor motor in my 02?

I've owned a 97 250 1 st gen bike - worst handling bike of 15 owned thru the years.

Owned 01 250 2 nd gen bike - Better than 1st gen but still not a good turning bike.

owned 5 third gen bikes. Barnone best handling chasiss owned or ridden.

You would be better off putting a 2t 500cc motor transplant in your 02. Another option would be to get your 250 cyl. & head ported or do an EG big bore kit.

I've owned a 97 250 1 st gen bike - worst handling bike of 15 owned thru the years.

Owned 01 250 2 nd gen bike - Better than 1st gen but still not a good turning bike.

owned 5 third gen bikes. Barnone best handling chasiss owned or ridden.

You would be better off putting a 2t 500cc motor transplant in your 02. Another option would be to get your 250 cyl. & head ported or do an EG big bore kit.

That's what i was thinking. I've ridden the 500 before and the power is SO nice, but the handling just doesn't compare to my 02. I'm holding out hopes that by the time I need a new cylinder and/or top end, EG will have that 400 kit developed for the 02-07's.

does he offer a 295 for the third gens? or just a 265

Edited by Ronaldo156