Sign in to follow this  

How good is an 08 crf250?

Currently I ride a cr250 but looking to try out a 250 4t. How good are the 08's compared to the fi bikes? I know Hondas are know to eat valves but Im very mechanically inclined so I can do all of the work myself. Is this a year to stay away from?

IMO. yes the early model crf250 does like to eat titanium valves. But if you install SS valves and have very high standards when maintaining these bikes,it is a strong, reliable, durable bike. No I don't think this is a year to shy away from. in the end its still a Honda and will go forever. Good luck.

Currently I ride a cr250 but looking to try out a 250 4t. How good are the 08's compared to the fi bikes? I know Hondas are know to eat valves but Im very mechanically inclined so I can do all of the work myself. Is this a year to stay away from?

Nope, one of the best pre FI years. I bought my '08 new and am on the original valves, they have not moved at all. No valve issues if you seal the airbox, stay off the rev limiter and keep your filters clean and fresh oil. It is set up as a trail bike with Q pipe, rekluse cutch etc. It is a very nice bike but I have not been ridding it much since I got my Beta 250RR.

08-09 were very refined, better than the 2010 crf250. imo.

ss valve cost power and revs. once the head goes on any pre efi crf250, send it to fastheads.com for the 599 rebuild. it will last hundreds of hrs if taken care of properly and ridden by someone slower than a ama pro.

Well seeing that its an 08 its really no longer a cutting edge race bike. I don't think the very minute changes to the power and revs with SS valve train is going to be noticed IMO.